Page 5 of 6 [ 83 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author
Post subject: Re: Changes to forum, comments welcome
Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:07 am
3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:
Like Justashooter's post about the XDTalk Forums....they've got a good layout.

Another forum I....uh...."visit" a lot is the "Home Distillers Forum"....not a gun forum by any means :wink: but their forum has a decent layout....(along with being interesting, but that's just me). :wink:

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

I'd like to point out that the XDTalk forum is using entirely different forum software. Which is the main reason it has a different look and feel.

This forum, and "the other Ohio forum" are both using the phpBB software which is freeware. That is why they look so much alike. They are both running a minimally modified basic version.
There are a plethora of add-ons that are easy to implement.

See:https://www.phpbb.com/about/

I was maintaining a national gun related forum a few years ago that also used this software. It is quite commonly used throughout the world. It was quite easy to install a VERY aggressive CAPTCHA routine to the registration software to insure that the forum couldn't be hacked by an AI bot program but would let a human easily register.

In most cases it doesn't take a computer programming genius to make or at lease install modifications to the vanilla version of the software. Almost all of the grunt work and already been done.

Adding other color schemes and formats is not that difficult and in many cases is just a matter of loading or cutting and pasting the code or files into your server.

AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:02 am
Alan, understood about the different forum software - my point was more about he color scheme than the layout, etc. If you want red and black, OK, I get it - but make it look good!

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:32 pm
Alan:

We have a decent Captcha in place....

Mod gatekeeping seems to have been disabled, along with a few other things. Mostly this thing is working fine, but has some cosmetic issues that will have to wait a while.

Patience....

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:46 pm
SMMAssociates wrote:
Alan:

Mod gatekeeping seems to have been disabled, along with a few other things. Mostly this thing is working fine, but has some cosmetic issues that will have to wait a while.

Patience....

Regards,

AlanM
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:55 pm
SMMAssociates wrote:
Alan:

Patience....

Regards,

Hallelujah and Fantastic only applied to the facsimile of a quote box. If I had a magic wand I'd lend it to you Stu. But sadly.....
Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:00 pm
AlanM wrote:
SMMAssociates wrote:
Alan:

Patience....

Regards,

ALAN,

Are you telling me you are not a miracle worker?

Please don't tell me it ain't so.....
Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:27 pm
OK Stu,
I won't tell you or not whether or not I said or didn't say what you asked me not to say.
Don't even try to parse the above sentence because I'm not sure if I said what I wanted to say or not say, even though I wasn't trying to be negative about my non-positive opinion.

AlanM
Post Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:02 am
AlanM wrote:
OK Stu,
I won't tell you or not whether or not I said or didn't say what you asked me not to say.
Don't even try to parse the above sentence because I'm not sure if I said what I wanted to say or not say, even though I wasn't trying to be negative about my non-positive opinion.

Alan:

Fortunately, that doesn't make any sense at all :mrgreen: ....

Looks like the quote box is back, sort of.

Still a few cosmetic issues, but it's getting there.

Dean has recommended that nobody muck with things while he's still tuning it. I probably could find the docs, but I think Linda's got my address :D....

It'll take a little while longer. Meantime, keep posting "complaints". (Dean's going to hate me :D .)

Eventually it'll come together....

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:22 am
This setup could certainly use a Return to Current Forum button at the end of a thread.

-- Mike
Post Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:05 pm
Hi
One improvement I would like to see is to be able to click the Buckeye Firearms Association icon at the top left of the page and go to the foundation home page..
Post Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:10 pm
Also was looking for the Buckeye recommended legislator voting page on the main page and couldn't find it. Seems like it should be at the top of the page somewhere.. getting close to the election.
Maybe someone can point it out to me.

Steve
Post Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:16 pm
Pops Fun wrote:
Also was looking for the Buckeye recommended legislator voting page on the main page and couldn't find it. Seems like it should be at the top of the page somewhere.. getting close to the election.

Steve

It's under Action/Voter Guide or just go here: http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/ohio-pro-gun-voter-guide

Proud Member of the NRA, Crossbow Nation, Buckeye Firearms Association, Ohio Freedom Alliance

So! This is how liberty dies...With thunderous applause.
Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:23 pm
Pops Fun wrote:

Steve

steve, it appears on the BFA homepage, ..it's in the "slideshow" widget that cycles through 5 different announcements, ..this is located near the top of the page and directly to the left of the "Join BFA" graphic...

here's the direct link to the Voter Guide, ..be sure to spread the voter guide link with as many pro-gun, pro-liberty folks you know! 8)

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/buckeye- ... dorsements

NRA Endowment
GOA Life
SAF Life
Buckeye Firearms Assoc
Ohioans for Concealed Carry
Oregon Firearms Federation
Maryland Shall Issue
Colorado Second Amendment Assoc
Post Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:22 pm
I just tried to edit my signature to add a new NRA Instructor rating and discovered the signature limit is 255 characters - which is actually smaller than my signature was *before* I started to edit it.

Any chance we can get the count increased? I think it used to be 500 characters, although I don't necessarily need/want that many, what I'd like to have for my new signature runs about 300...

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:11 pm
JustaShooter wrote:
I just tried to edit my signature to add a new NRA Instructor rating and discovered the signature limit is 255 characters - which is actually smaller than my signature was *before* I started to edit it.

Any chance we can get the count increased? I think it used to be 500 characters, although I don't necessarily need/want that many, what I'd like to have for my new signature runs about 300...

Your legal disclaimer could probably be removed or shortened quite a bit.

Joel
NRA Certified Instructor,Member and Recruiter
Centerburg Conservation Club Trustee
CCC Range committee and Lake committee
Second Call Defense Recruiter

If you like guns, click here! https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/sign ... ID=nranews
 Page 5 of 6 [ 83 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next