Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
Author
Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:38 am
I understand this legislation was approved. When did/does it become effective?
Post subject: Re: VA restores reciprocity
Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:31 am
The new VA law recognizing licenses from all states (similar to Ohio's law) goes into effect July 1st. Until then, they have extended the existing reciprocal agreement so that Ohioans will not have a gap in recognition of our licenses in VA.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2016 5:21 am
Thanks for a very concise and informative reply.
Post Posted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:24 am
if I understand it right, you can go online, watch some videos, take and pass a short test, apply for and get your non-residence va ccw lic. in just a couple days ?????, has anyone else heard of this ??

Husband, Father, and All around Good Guy
NRA Member
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Home Firearm Safety
NRA Certified Personal Protection in the Home

Ohio Hunter Education Instructor
Post Posted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:17 am
I don't know if that is accurate or not, but as an Ohio resident you wouldn't be able to carry in Ohio on a VA license after July 1 in any case.

NRA Life Member
Post Posted: Sat May 21, 2016 12:31 pm
sunfish valley wrote:
if I understand it right, you can go online, watch some videos, take and pass a short test, apply for and get your non-residence va ccw lic. in just a couple days ?????, has anyone else heard of this ??

No, this is not accurate. You need to submit a copy of your CHL from your state of residence, submit an application, pay $100, submit a passport photo, fingerprint card, and copy of your CHL. Then wait 90 days.

NRA Life Member
2nd Amendment Foundation Member
GOAL Member
Range Safety Officer
NRA Pistol,Home Firearm Safety,Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home Instructor, Certified UT, MD, MA Handgun & LEOSA Instructor
Post Posted: Sat May 21, 2016 3:10 pm
Uncle Duke wrote:
You need to submit a copy of your CHL from your state of residence

Not necessarily, it appears there are other ways to show proof of competence with a handgun. In fact, I'm not sure a copy of your CHL would qualify - it may, but it is not specifically listed in the list of ways to show competence. From http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Non ... sPermitApp

Quote:
Documentation of Competence with a Handgun

The applicant shall demonstrate competence with a handgun by one of the following:

• Completing a hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state.
  • Completing any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course.
  • Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services or a similar agency of another state.
  • Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement.
  • Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition approved by the Department of State Police or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services.
  • Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in this Commonwealth or a locality thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause.
  • Completing any firearms training or safety course or class, including an electronic, video, or on-line course, conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor.
  • Completing any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualifying to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.
  • Completing any other firearms training that the Virginia Department of State Police deems adequate.

A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any such course or class, an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught such course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant, or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall satisfy the requirement for demonstration of competence with a handgun.

So, it may well be that a short online course is sufficient, if it meets one of the above requirements.

NRA Life Member
Post Posted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:55 pm
A video or on-line course may qualify only if the course is taught by an NRA instructor. I have spoken with more than one State trooper who suggested that the training needs to be an NRA course or hunter safety course.

NRA Life Member
2nd Amendment Foundation Member
GOAL Member
Range Safety Officer
NRA Pistol,Home Firearm Safety,Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home Instructor, Certified UT, MD, MA Handgun & LEOSA Instructor
Post Posted: Sun May 22, 2016 3:08 am
If you have a copy of the training certificate you used to obtain your Ohio CHL that would work for the VA non-resident CHP.
In my case I had to apply for a resident VA CHP from my local County Clerk of Court and the clerk took my Ohio CHL as proof of training.
I'm not sure if the VA State Police are accommodating but your training certificate itself is probably sufficient.
Of course, I could be wrong. My first and last wives (both of them) often told me I was.

AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
 Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]