Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: Criminal records - How to apply for license?
Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:06 am
Hello everyone, my friend has a record of DUI case in the year 2012. He lives in Boston and asked me if I can help him getting MA gun license? I need some suggestions from you guys. :?
Post subject: Re: Criminal records - How to apply for license?
Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:46 am
He should ask a group familiar with MA law. GOAL (Gun Owners Action League) might be a good place to start. http://www.goal.org/

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:28 am
Thank you JustAShooter, your advice is useful. I will tell my friend to go through the link and check if he can be eligible for owning a gun license.

Get firearms safety training online from an NRA certified school.
MA Gun License
Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:51 am
Persons who want to obtain a License to Carry (LTC) must apply to the municipality in which they live. Non-residents must apply through the Firearms Records Bureau of the Mass Department of Criminal Information Services in Quincy, MA.

For individuals who live in Boston, they must apply in-person at the Public Service Counter, located on the first floor of the BPD Headquarters. Each application costs $100.00, and approval takes approximately 40 days. If approved, the license will remain valid for six years. If you did not have a weapons license before June 1, 1998, you must present a gun safety certificate before filling out the application. All applicants must pass a Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) check and have no felony convictions. Call (617) 343-4425 for more information.

For non-residents (i.e., live outside of Massachusetts), you can download an application from Mass DCJIS Firearms Records Bureau, complete it and mail in with your check and supporting documentation. They will call and tell you when you are scheduled to come in to be fingerprinted, photographed, and interviewed. They do a livescan and will not accept a fingerprint card. Expect to wait about three months before you get your license. Non-residents are issued a temporary LTC which has to be renewed each year, Mass residents are issued a LTC for five years. You may or may not have restrictions placed on your LTC which limits where you can carry.

Massachusetts residents have to go through a firearms instructor certified by the Commonwealth, whereas out-of-state applicants can submit proof of firearms safety training/education through other means.

NRA Life Member
2nd Amendment Foundation Member
GOAL Member
Range Safety Officer
NRA Pistol,Home Firearm Safety,Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home Instructor, Certified UT, MD, MA Handgun & LEOSA Instructor
Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:24 am
Uncle Duke wrote:
Persons who want to obtain a License to Carry (LTC) must apply to the municipality in which they live. Non-residents must apply through the Firearms Records Bureau of the Mass Department of Criminal Information Services in Quincy, MA.

For individuals who live in Boston, they must apply in-person at the Public Service Counter, located on the first floor of the BPD Headquarters. Each application costs $100.00, and approval takes approximately 40 days. If approved, the license will remain valid for six years. If you did not have a weapons license before June 1, 1998, you must present a gun safety certificate before filling out the application. All applicants must pass a Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) check and have no felony convictions. Call (617) 343-4425 for more information.

For non-residents (i.e., live outside of Massachusetts), you can download an application from Mass DCJIS Firearms Records Bureau, complete it and mail in with your check and supporting documentation. They will call and tell you when you are scheduled to come in to be fingerprinted, photographed, and interviewed. They do a livescan and will not accept a fingerprint card. Expect to wait about three months before you get your license. Non-residents are issued a temporary LTC which has to be renewed each year, Mass residents are issued a LTC for five years. You may or may not have restrictions placed on your LTC which limits where you can carry.

Massachusetts residents have to go through a firearms instructor certified by the Commonwealth, whereas out-of-state applicants can submit proof of firearms safety training/education through other means.

Very nicely explained. Thanks! It is mandatory in MA Boston to go through NRA certified firearms safety training. Upon completion of the course, the person gets the certificate. You can then apply for either Class A, Class B or F.I.D and enjoy the ownership of gun.

Get firearms safety training online from an NRA certified school.
MA Gun License
Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:09 am
Because the MA CJIS approved the NRA Basic Pistol course prior to the change to the on-line/blended learning format and this course is no longer offered, your friend who is pursuing training will need to make certain that the course is approved by MA CJIS. Courses that MA CJIS has approved include Home Firearm Safety and the Personal Protection courses. I teach the Home Firearm Safety with elements of the old Basic Pistol course and am a certified by the Massachusetts State Police to teach Basic Pistol and LEOSA classes. Some of my conversations with the Massachusetts State Police suggest that they may be moving away from keeping the NRA as the only game in town for training and may accept other organizations' training programs. Instructors are able to submit their own curriculum for review and approval, however this is rather improbable given how slow the state is to make/accept changes to procedures and rules.

NRA Life Member
2nd Amendment Foundation Member
GOAL Member
Range Safety Officer
NRA Pistol,Home Firearm Safety,Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home Instructor, Certified UT, MD, MA Handgun & LEOSA Instructor
Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:05 pm
I've stayed out of this topic because it's too tempting to just make a really sarcastic snarky post. Well, I am yielding to that temptation:

Best thing GunnerJacky's friend could do is move away from Massachusetts.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
 Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]