Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author
Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:28 pm
I find myself if a difficult position and I was hoping for some insight or some help as far as CCW laws go. My husband is attempting to get his CCW license in the state of OHIO and is running into problems with trying to purchase a firearm. In 2014 he was accused of stocking an ex-girlfriend while he was away on a business trip. He was not within her city of residence at the time and he was arrested when he got back home. I knew this girl in high school and she was a very disturbed individual. She was under the influence of a lot of drugs and was self harming. She took him to court over the issue and the victim's advocate would not allow the charges to be dropped. Instead he pled down to a M-4 disorderly conduct and paid a court fee. Back in December of 2014 he was delayed on a firearms purchase from a gun and knife show and was told that the FBI had called the vender and said not to sell him the weapon. However this was never put on his record permanently. He has now put in his application for his CCW in Ohio and is in the process of getting approved. The problem we are facing is that he also put in an application for a firearms purchase a couple days after he filed for his CCW. The application for the CCW is only an ohio state background check and the application for the firearm is a federal background check. The federal background check is going to ignore the conviction and will look at the original accusation even though there was no proof that he ever caused her harm. The CCW background check will be approved because they only look at the conviction. However, if the federal background check comes back first and they only look at the accusation then he will never be allowed to apply for his CCW. What can we do?
Post subject: Re: HELP ASAP
Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:31 pm
Read 2917.11 Disorderly conduct.
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2917.11

Your story does not make sense.

Quote:
However this was never put on his record permanently.

Explain....

And to get a CCL in Ohio a NCIS background check is done.
Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:44 pm
He was accused of menacing by stalking in 2014 by a drug abusing ex girlfriend. There was no proof, it was dropped to a m-4 disorderly conduct. However the accusation was violent. The ohio state officer said all that matters is the conviction in regards to getting approval for his ccw. However he applied for a gun purchase andate the fbi is looking at the original accusation.
Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:57 pm
Call Derek DeBrosse.

You can find his information at OhioGunLawyer.com

Good luck!

What does a caring, sensitive
person feel when they are forced
to use a handgun to stop a threat?

Recoil.
Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:40 am
COURTNEY:

Welcome Aboard!

I don't quite understand your question, but MWSY's advice is sound.

Please understand that we sometimes need to ask a few questions when confronted by complex issues, even when they don't seem complex to the person asking the question. The law is full of ways to mess up an honest person without really impacting criminals.

There's a sticky at http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10097 that you should have a look at - it's not mandatory, and may be sleep inducing. Getting past the first couple pages is more than sufficient unless you need more incentive to nap :D. Duke, btw, my grey cat, got a haircut, and now looks like a lion. Or a poodle....

Also, there's rule about posting the same thing twice. I've locked your other post. See what happens when I take some time off and go out to the range. :) New members generally get a pass for a lot of things, and this is one of them. Don't worry about it.

Enjoy!

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:24 am
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
Call Derek DeBrosse.

You can find his information at OhioGunLawyer.com

Good luck!

How many gun cases has Derek DeBrosse won? Plea bargains are not wins. This is just a question.
Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:21 am
I only posted twice because I noticed different topic were being responded to days apart and that the one topic was more along the lines of my topic of discussion. I'm sorry. I didn't know.
Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:06 pm
color of law wrote:

And to get a CCL in Ohio a NCIS background check is done.

This is only for clarity purposes: I think you meant to type "NICS background check". That mistake happens a lot on these boards.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:47 pm
COURTNEY wrote:
I only posted twice because I noticed different topic were being responded to days apart and that the one topic was more along the lines of my topic of discussion. I'm sorry. I didn't know.

COURTNEY:

Not to worry.... Unless you're really "into" these message boards, there's a lot to learn. We were all beginners once. I've been at it for a long time - started with drums :D.... (Seriously, I started with a 300 baud modem via CompuServe and some local BBS's.)

COL got my attention somehow - not that I always notice anything, and we're pretty loose about such things. I really had just gotten back after some range time.

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:17 pm
color of law wrote:
How many gun cases has Derek DeBrosse won? Plea bargains are not wins. This is just a question.

Couldn't tell ya', but it helps when the client wants to win instead of plea. :wink:

As far as the OP (original post), it sounds like the lady needs some answers that should come from an attorney.

Alternate attorney recommendations are not prohibited, I'm sure.

As this is BFA, it would be courteous to recommend Ken Hanson, but the only advice I ever received directly from Mr. Hanson personally turned out to be completely wrong. To be fair, it was free advice over the phone, so I got what I paid for. :roll:

Recoil.
Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:19 pm
His family didn't have the money to fight it in court and they didn't tell him he could enter a plea of non contest.
Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:24 pm
I also think Courtney should review any court records she can find from her husbands case.

With a 'victim' like she's describing, there could be some entertaining reading! :P

Or just let us know the county and the case number.

We won't post things here but some of us non-lawyers might take the time to review the case to see if we can help.

Recoil.
Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:31 pm
COURTNEY wrote:
His family didn't have the money to fight it in court and they didn't tell him he could enter a plea of non contest.

Who is "they"?

Recoil.
Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:32 pm
Butler County case # CRA 1401567
Post Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:27 am
Okay. Is his first name "Aric"?

And if it is, I think it's okay to post about it here.

I don't think there are any serious problems.

Recoil.
 Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next