Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: Popular Conceal Carry Picture
Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:39 am
For those who have a Face Book account . . .

Does it bother any of you that pro-gun groups post a picture of a conceal carrier with a gun in the small of his back with no holster and his finger on the trigger? Just looking at the picture makes me nervous!

Every time it shows up I mention in the comments that it is breaking one of the most important gun safety rules. Today it showed up on one of the Ohio guns sites and the picture was right under another picture showing rule #3 of gun safety, i.e., keep your finger off the trigger till you're on target, and I pointed out how ironic it was that the two pictures were together.

They deleted my post so now I'm thinking that maybe I'm just too touchy about gun safety, at least when it comes to pictures violating them!

px

What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." Thomas Jefferson to James Madison
Post subject: Re: Popular Conceal Carry Picture
Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:23 pm
While I'm not familiar with the picture you mention, I too almost always take notice of gun pictures that have the "models" breaking the firearms rules that have been drilled into me over the years. I say NO!! you are not being too touchy about gun safety. It is that awareness that helps make safe gun owners/ users safe at the range and in their life as users/ carriers of firearms.

Be Safe and Well

You can't get something for nothing unless someone, somewhere is getting nothing for something!

Sig P238
S&W Shield 9
Ruger SR9c
Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:49 pm
Unfortunately, common sense is not practiced by everyone and we, as responsible gun owners and instructors have the responsibility of reinforcing safe handling.

I recently posted a comment on the story about Delores Knowlton, the woman in Punta Gorda, Florida who was accidently shot and killed while attending the Citizen's Police Academy. I commented about the rules of gun safety, from my own perspective as both a responsible gun owner and NRA instructor. I was chastised by a few people for promoting "common sense." One person felt that I was being too preachy and suggested that I was grandstanding and self-promoting. The fact of the matter is that the police officer broke several cardinal rules about gun safety, most likely due to being too casual about handling guns. I have taught both civilian and law enforcement firearms courses and have seen poor practices among both professional and civilian operators.

NRA Life Member
2nd Amendment Foundation Member
GOAL Member
Range Safety Officer
NRA Pistol,Home Firearm Safety,Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home Instructor, Certified UT, MD, MA Handgun & LEOSA Instructor
Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:30 pm
PX4_Storm wrote:
For those who have a Face Book account . . .

Does it bother any of you that pro-gun groups post a picture of a conceal carrier with a gun in the small of his back with no holster and his finger on the trigger? Just looking at the picture makes me nervous!

Every time it shows up I mention in the comments that it is breaking one of the most important gun safety rules. Today it showed up on one of the Ohio guns sites and the picture was right under another picture showing rule #3 of gun safety, i.e., keep your finger off the trigger till you're on target, and I pointed out how ironic it was that the two pictures were together.

They deleted my post so now I'm thinking that maybe I'm just too touchy about gun safety, at least when it comes to pictures violating them!

px

I'm pretty sure I know the picture and the FB page you are referring to - and your post is still there...

And, as the reply to your post mentions, that picture is a stock photo used by the media in many stories involving shootings. I don't think you can fault the gun site for linking to the story and having that picture show up, it's how FB works.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:17 pm
IMHO, the MSM will stop at nothing to demean or demonize us...

The picture (haven't seen it that I can remember) and many others prefer to show us in as bad a light as possible, or legitimize unsafe practices to frighten or misinform others, or to sort of talk us into doing those things in the hope we'll cause a problem.

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:58 am
I know that photo and several others like it, quite well. Small of the back holster- less carry, finger in trigger during draw of what looks to be an air pistol. Oh, and gun is carried grip backwards, forcing an underhand grab or what some call "cavalry reverse draw" from back in the old days. It's like they couldn't be doing even one more thing improperly.

I sometimes comment but it happens so often it's hard for me to get upset.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
 Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]