Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: Help! handgun purchase delayed- charged over 10 years ago
Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:21 pm
Been searching, but cant find a clear answer. I recently went to purchase a firearm but is on DELAY.

I was 'charged' for DV 12 years ago. Pleaded NOT GUILTY, person signed to withdrawl the temporary protection order the next day. final verdict CASE DISMISSED.

From everything I've been reading I should be ok, because it needs to be a 'CONVICTION' of DV, but I dont know what to expect.

Please help any answers advice appreciated. Im not sure of the next steps. Its been 2 days since the delay.

BTW, the DV was total B.S. ex-gfriend and I were arguing, kids called the cops, cops showed up and said someones going with us. Guess who went with them.

“If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
― Dalai Lama XIV
Post subject: Re: Help! handgun purchase delayed- charged over 10 years ag
Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:50 pm
Sometimes the NICS delays are some sort of weird glitch. Wait out the three days and see what happens before taking any legal steps.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:22 am
Thanks for the reply....Yeah I am waiting, and Im sure this is why its proabably delayed I just cant find a confirmation that a DV must be a conviction before denied. Like I was saying I pled 'not guilty' I was 'not convicted' and the charge was 'dismissed'

Im not sure of the process - thanks

“If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
― Dalai Lama XIV
Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:11 am
By (unfortunate) coincidence, right now a friend of mine is going through the aftermath of his wife filing, then not following through on, an emergency protective order. Guy was kicked out of the house for almost ten days, and of course the guns were taken away and locked up by the police. The order was lifted, several days passed, the police keep saying they need some kind of specific paperwork from the court to give the guns back.

That's not the case, according to what I know about the law, it actually sounds fishy to me. Told my pal to have his lawyer contact that city's law director and start citing chapter and verse of the ORC to him. No more calling the police and asking them to release the guns, kick the matter way upstairs.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:09 am
just fyi- called to pick up guns from FFL yesterday. I answered my own question....apparently YES it must be a conviction or plea of Guilty....so all you guys out there (I say guys, because its always the man getting arrested) make sure you get an attorney if charged with DV. Do not plead guilty and hopefully get the case dismissed. Or NO firearms for you.

― Dalai Lama XIV
Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:20 pm
robbo wrote:
just fyi- called to pick up guns from FFL yesterday. I answered my own question....apparently YES it must be a conviction or plea of Guilty....so all you guys out there (I say guys, because its always the man getting arrested) make sure you get an attorney if charged with DV. Do not plead guilty and hopefully get the case dismissed. Or NO firearms for you.

Well, it's ALMOST always the man getting arrested, but your point is very well taken, and the advice about getting an attorney, etc., spot on. This is one small reason I refer to our courts and so forth as part of the legalsystem, not justice system.

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
 Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]