Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
Author
Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:28 am
Kinda snuck up on me. Must have been the wife's turkey dinner Sunday night.

To all of my friends of the Jewish Faith, or the guys & gals who wish they were ( :mrgreen: ):

L'Shana Tovah...

Which means (if you haven't guessed it by now): "Happy New Year!"

Rosh Hashana 5777.

(That means: "the head of the year", and is about 70% of all my Hebrew, which is generally answered with "are you sure you went to Hebrew School?".)

Although this is one of the major Jewish Holidays, other than the beginning of the run-up to Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement), it's really a festive one. No gifts or trees or anything of that, but a chance to visit with friends and family.

The texts tell us that on Rosh Hashana the Book of Life is opened, and all of our futures are considered. On Yom Kippur, the Book is sealed, and we're stuck.... Meantime, we beg forgiveness, presuming we didn't eat too much turkey....

And a side note: I just happened to think about this the other night. Customarily, we light a candle on the anniversary of a family member's death. To that end, we can buy (often from the Synagogue's Gift Shop), a special "Yahrzeit" candle for that purpose. The larger ones make excellent drinking glasses when the wax is removed, and the little ones are perfect juice glasses for the breakfast table. When somebody gives you lemons, make lemonade....

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post subject: Re: L'Shana Tovah
Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:04 pm
Same to you and your family, Sir! :)

-Allen
Post subject: Re: L'Shana Tovah
Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:22 pm
L'Shanah Tovah Tikatevu, "May you be inscribed (in the Book of Life) for a good year."

Enjoy an apple dipped in honey as you reflect on all of your blessings and the promise of a good year.

NRA Life Member
2nd Amendment Foundation Member
GOAL Member
Range Safety Officer
NRA Pistol,Home Firearm Safety,Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home Instructor, Certified UT, MD, MA Handgun & LEOSA Instructor
 Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]