Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
Author
Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:53 am
I found out that the law says that you have to be 21 for a CCW. My son is 20 and will be 21 this fall. My question is can he go through a class with me now seeing that he is 20 and then apply for his permit when he turns 21 this fall? Where can I find this in print?
Post subject: Re: Age for CCW class
Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:25 pm
Yes, he can. No, there is nothing in print that says you can take the class while 18, but Ohio law does allow those between 18 and 21 to possess handguns for educational purposes under the direction of an adult:

See http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.21

Quote:
(A) No person shall do any of the following:
(3) Furnish any firearm to a person who is under eighteen years of age or, subject to division (B) of this section, furnish any handgun to a person who is under twenty-one years of age, except for lawful hunting, sporting, or educational purposes, including, but not limited to, instruction in firearms or handgun safety, care, handling, or marksmanship under the supervision or control of a responsible adult;

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:28 pm
BTW, that's not to say that all instructors will allow it - they may be restricted by insurance rules or just not want to do so (not being familiar enough with the law, not comfortable with the responsibility, or whatever).

NRA Life Member
Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:15 pm
Thank you , I am still looking but as I see it he can take the class but he is not able to apply for it or is he able to purchase a hand gun or the ammo for it.
Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:36 pm
That is correct as I understand it.

NRA Life Member
Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:01 am
A little late to the party but he would be able to take the class at any age (up to the instructor). Since the certificate is good for 3 years someone that is 18 could take the class and then apply for their license the day they turn 21.

NRA Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:31 am
pps_dad wrote:
A little late to the party but he would be able to take the class at any age (up to the instructor). Since the certificate is good for 3 years someone that is 18 could take the class and then apply for their license the day they turn 21.

"At any age" is technically true, but there are certain details to deal with when teaching someone under 18 years of age. Written parental consent (required by Federal law) is the first one that comes to mind...

And, as you mention, since the certificate is only valid for 3 years I think there are likely better classes for someone under 18 to take than a concealed carry class.

Just my opinion of course.

NRA Life Member
Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:48 am
I have never heard mention of federal law requiring written parental consent to take an NRA Gun safety class ?? Many so called "CCW classes" are just NRA Basic Pistol. I took NRA Basic Rifle as a teenager in Holland Ohio.

It will be up to the Instructor what their class policy is.

Bill

America NO LONGER held hostage by ZERO the lying dictator.......:-)

Ohio, a government of the unions, by the unions, for the unions
Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:16 pm
willbird, with respect to juveniles possessing a handgun whether for a firearm safety class or whatever, there is a Federal law that must be considered. Take a look at 18 USC § 922(x): https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/922

Quote:
(x)
(1) It shall be unlawful for a person to sell, deliver, or otherwise transfer to a person who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe is a juvenile—
(A) a handgun; or
(B) ammunition that is suitable for use only in a handgun.

(2) It shall be unlawful for any person who is a juvenile to knowingly possess—
(A) a handgun; or

(3) This subsection does not apply to—
(A) a temporary transfer of a handgun or ammunition to a juvenile or to the possession or use of a handgun or ammunition by a juvenile if the handgun and ammunition are possessed and used by the juvenile—
(i) in the course of employment, in the course of ranching or farming related to activities at the residence of the juvenile (or on property used for ranching or farming at which the juvenile, with the permission of the property owner or lessee, is performing activities related to the operation of the farm or ranch), target practice, hunting, or a course of instruction in the safe and lawful use of a handgun;
(ii) with the prior written consent of the juvenile’s parent or guardian who is not prohibited by Federal, State, or local law from possessing a firearm, except—
(I) during transportation by the juvenile of an unloaded handgun in a locked container directly from the place of transfer to a place at which an activity described in clause (i) is to take place and transportation by the juvenile of that handgun, unloaded and in a locked container, directly from the place at which such an activity took place to the transferor; or
(II) with respect to ranching or farming activities as described in clause (i), a juvenile may possess and use a handgun or ammunition with the prior written approval of the juvenile’s parent or legal guardian and at the direction of an adult who is not prohibited by Federal, State or local law from possessing a firearm;
(iii) the juvenile has the prior written consent in the juvenile’s possession at all times when a handgun is in the possession of the juvenile; and
(iv) in accordance with State and local law;
(B) a juvenile who is a member of the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard who possesses or is armed with a handgun in the line of duty;
(C) a transfer by inheritance of title (but not possession) of a handgun or ammunition to a juvenile; or
(D) the possession of a handgun or ammunition by a juvenile taken in defense of the juvenile or other persons against an intruder into the residence of the juvenile or a residence in which the juvenile is an invited guest.

(4) A handgun or ammunition, the possession of which is transferred to a juvenile in circumstances in which the transferor is not in violation of this subsection shall not be subject to permanent confiscation by the Government if its possession by the juvenile subsequently becomes unlawful because of the conduct of the juvenile, but shall be returned to the lawful owner when such handgun or ammunition is no longer required by the Government for the purposes of investigation or prosecution.

(5) For purposes of this subsection, the term “juvenile” means a person who is less than 18 years of age.

(Emphasis mine.)

NRA Life Member
Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:19 pm
WILLBIRD?? Long time no hear from, man. Welcome back!

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:11 am
JustaShooter wrote:
willbird, with respect to juveniles possessing a handgun whether for a firearm safety class or whatever, there is a Federal law that must be considered. Take a look at 18 USC § 922(x): https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/922

Quote:
(x)
(1) It shall be unlawful for a person to sell, deliver, or otherwise transfer to a person who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe is a juvenile—
(A) a handgun; or

(2) It shall be unlawful for any person who is a juvenile to knowingly possess—
(A) a handgun; or

(3) This subsection does not apply to—
(A) a temporary transfer of a handgun or ammunition to a juvenile or to the possession or use of a handgun or ammunition by a juvenile if the handgun and ammunition are possessed and used by the juvenile—
(i) in the course of employment, in the course of ranching or farming related to activities at the residence of the juvenile (or on property used for ranching or farming at which the juvenile, with the permission of the property owner or lessee, is performing activities related to the operation of the farm or ranch), target practice, hunting, or a course of instruction in the safe and lawful use of a handgun;
(ii) with the prior written consent of the juvenile’s parent or guardian who is not prohibited by Federal, State, or local law from possessing a firearm, except—
(I) during transportation by the juvenile of an unloaded handgun in a locked container directly from the place of transfer to a place at which an activity described in clause (i) is to take place and transportation by the juvenile of that handgun, unloaded and in a locked container, directly from the place at which such an activity took place to the transferor; or
(II) with respect to ranching or farming activities as described in clause (i), a juvenile may possess and use a handgun or ammunition with the prior written approval of the juvenile’s parent or legal guardian and at the direction of an adult who is not prohibited by Federal, State or local law from possessing a firearm;
(iii) the juvenile has the prior written consent in the juvenile’s possession at all times when a handgun is in the possession of the juvenile; and
(iv) in accordance with State and local law;
(B) a juvenile who is a member of the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard who possesses or is armed with a handgun in the line of duty;
(C) a transfer by inheritance of title (but not possession) of a handgun or ammunition to a juvenile; or
(D) the possession of a handgun or ammunition by a juvenile taken in defense of the juvenile or other persons against an intruder into the residence of the juvenile or a residence in which the juvenile is an invited guest.

(4) A handgun or ammunition, the possession of which is transferred to a juvenile in circumstances in which the transferor is not in violation of this subsection shall not be subject to permanent confiscation by the Government if its possession by the juvenile subsequently becomes unlawful because of the conduct of the juvenile, but shall be returned to the lawful owner when such handgun or ammunition is no longer required by the Government for the purposes of investigation or prosecution.

(5) For purposes of this subsection, the term “juvenile” means a person who is less than 18 years of age.

(Emphasis mine.)

Do you have any examples of any charges or convictions under this federal statute ?? Juveniles out here in the sticks go hunting all the time without carrying written consent from their parents to have the guns they use.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:11 am
Brian D. wrote:
WILLBIRD?? Long time no hear from, man. Welcome back!

I check in here now and then but it has gotten pretty quiet really.

Bill

Post Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:29 am
Hey Bill you might want to update the first sentence of your signature line.. ;)

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:34 pm
Brian D. wrote:
Hey Bill you might want to update the first sentence of your signature line.. ;)

Are you SURE ?? Zero the lyig Dictator is arguably more powerful now than he was then :-).

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]