Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: Frontier Airlines sent checked bag with firearm to Mexico
Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:36 pm
My wife was flying from Cleveland to Orlando and checked a firearm in her bag. Frontier accidentally put it on a flight to Cancun. The Mexican government has seized the entire bag due to the firearm and will NOT release it. Frontier is very sorry. I'm sure this gun is already on the streets of Mexico.

Of course this sucks for the wife who is out of town and now has to buy new things. Frontier has a claim process for this and we'll see how difficult it really ends up being to recover the $$.

My question is this.. Who do we report this firearm lost/stolen to? Our local police department? Cleveland police (Hopkins jurisdiction)?

What a mess.
Post subject: Re: Frontier Airlines sent checked bag with firearm to Mexic
Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:28 pm
I'd report it to your local police and if they think you should file a report elsewhere they will tell you.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:12 am
tom:

Welcome Aboard!

I have no idea how your wife's bag ended up in Cancun, but I expect there are some halfway-decent reasons. Similar destination codes, perhaps, or just human error. Guess the good news is that your wife didn't end up with that bag in Mexico.

My middle sister lived in El Paso for a while (she still owns the house - long story), and I was always afraid that I'd end up in Juarez unintentionally. My mom was living there too, along with my daughter. Really nice place if you can deal with Mexico being "down the street" :D.... Bloomberg would love the place.

However, even one round of ammunition in your pocket or vehicle, with or without the firearms, and you're going to spend a lot of money, and maybe some time in jail. Getting that gun back will be a little easier, but not much. Building your own Panama Canal might be a little easier....

Just me, but I doubt if you'll ever see that again. (You might get the rest of the bag back eventually, minus anything of value....)

Wish you good luck, though. The new Administration may be able to change that. After all, they owe us a lot for all the good stuff we sent 'em before....

Anyway, there's a sticky at http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10097 that you should have a look at. Only the first couple pages, and it's not mandatory. Might be a good way to get to sleep....

Please let us know how things go down. Meantime, maybe some better suggestions will turn up.

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:07 am
Contact your district's U.S. Congressman, and also U.S. Senator Rob Portman. (Don't bother with Sen. Sherrod Brown, due to being so anti-gun he wouldn't help if he could.) I doubt my suggestions will do any good though. Hope the gun and other items weren't terribly valuable.

Think your homeowners insurance would cover any of this? Can't hurt to ask your agent, as a hypothetical question.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:14 pm
Thanks for the responses folks. We've already accepted that the gun is never coming back. Or her bag for that matter. It was a 9mm Shield so we aren't talking too valuable of a firearm. My biggest concern was what appropriate steps we should take to make sure that we aren't liable if/when that gun shows up in the states and ends up being used in a crime. I was half joking when I told the wife that gun would be in Chicago by next weekend.

As far as recovering our losses, I'm not holding my breath for Frontier to come through completely. They are already giving the wife a bit of a run around not returning calls, acknowleding her emails, etc. They did open a ticket on the lost bag, but don't seem to be in a hurry to get anything done about it. The firearm was covered by our home insurance on a separate rider with all our other firearms, so if Frontier doesn't come through eventually, I do have that avenue to at least recover that loss.

Overall value of all my wife's crap was about $3700 incuding the weapon. Not to mention the frustration it caused her being out of town with NOTHING. Frontier's site says they will cover up to $3500 per lost bag, but I've also read a few horror stories online of trying to actually get true value for your lost items with Frontier.

I appreciate the suggestion to calling Portman. If we don't get anywhere with Frontier soon, I think reaching out to him is a good idea. I wouldn't think Frontier would like the bad PR of people knowing they "lost" a firearm in Mexico.
 Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]