Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: Question about traffic stops while carrying
Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:32 pm
I read on another forum that it was common for LEOs in Detroit to take the handgun of a motorist legally carrying during a traffic stop. I was wondering if this was so? Is it common in other parts of Ohio? We have a daughter who lives with her family in Akron, so I travel armed when we visit.

What type of procedure is used by LEOs if they wish to take the handgun for the duration of the stop?
I carry a Glock 19 in an Alien Gear IWB holster. I don't like the idea of a LEO grabbing my Glock out of my holster. Nor do I like the idea of him saying "hand me your handgun!"

BTW I live in Southern Illinois so I go nowhere near Detroit, also avoid Chicago.
Post subject: Re: Question about traffic stops while carrying
Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:25 pm
It's not common, but it does happen. As for procedure, it varies from department to department. I share your dislike of the command for me to unholster and hand a LEO my sidearm...

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:46 am
Every department is different. I have never asked a permit holder to give me their weapon. It's usually you don't show me yours I won't show you mine. :)
Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:59 am
chowser51 wrote:
Every department is different. I have never asked a permit holder to give me their weapon. It's usually you don't show me yours I won't show you mine. :)

I'm hoping that is the case with most departments.
Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:11 pm
chowser51 wrote:

Sorry, late to the topic. I agree, been in LE since before Ohio CHL came about and our agency has only taken custody of guns when there is a criminal offense (not traffic) which has taken place. Things like Domestic, OVI, theft and so on.

Stay Safe, Andrew

To whom much is given much is expected

http://apexshooting.com

https://www.facebook.com/ApexShootingTactics
Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:45 pm
I've always cringed at the idea of an LEO taking possession of a firearm he/she doesn't know how to safely unload, and proceeding to try anyhow. That has definitely happened.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:35 pm
Quote:
2923.126(E)(4) Knowingly have contact with the loaded handgun by touching it with the person's hands or fingers in the motor vehicle at any time after the law enforcement officer begins approaching and before the law enforcement officer leaves, unless the person has contact with the loaded handgun pursuant to and in accordance with directions given by the law enforcement officer;

(5) Knowingly disregard or fail to comply with any lawful order of any law enforcement officer given while the motor vehicle is stopped, including, but not limited to, a specific order to the person to keep the person's hands in plain sight.

The law allows the officer to have you touch the firearm I would respectfully decline even though you could be charged for disregarding a lawful order.
Post Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:45 pm
Under the law in Ohio they have the right to disarm you during a stop (vehicle or otherwise) even if you've done nothing wrong.

Only traffic stop I've been in since carrying I was with my sister in her motor home.
Truck jumped in front of her just was we passed highway patrol so they say they stopped her for following to close.. not her fault!..

None the less they asked me to step out and put my hands on the vehicle as they disarmed me.
No one asked me to touch my gun.

I can understand their position, I was none to happy even so.
The officers was polite but I felt like the whole stop was a bunch of BS to start with.
They left the gun, bullet, and mag just inside the side door and left.. told me not to load it till they had gone.
I was a bit peeved my sister however was left in tears.

It didn't help my opinion of them given their shift to all blue lights, driving around in chargers and constantly pulling people over on surface streets.

CPD has always been cool with me but I think highway patrol is just out there making bank.

• If you can't hit the broad side of a barn, You're not using enough bullets.
  • Zombies are the Trash-men of Humanity.
  • Certified Ammosexual, lolzImage
 Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]