Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: Traveling with Firearms: Lasers and Illinois
Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:54 pm
Folks,

I will be traveling out west soon.

1st Question: Do any states outlaw the use of a laser on a handgun? Can I get into trouble traveling through a state if there is a laser on my handgun?

2nd Question: Has anyone safely transported firearms through the southern portion of Illinois? Including stopping in Illinois?

I have done some research and found that Illinois now permits non-residents to transport firearms. This link summarizes the new law: http://illinoiscc.com/pdfs/Transorting- ... ochure.pdf

Thanks and have a great day!
JT3M
Post subject: Re: Traveling with Firearms: Lasers and Illinois
Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:03 pm
1: Chicago does, but I don't know of any states that do. But I haven't specifically researched it.

2: I have, concealed on my person, in my vehicle. I did not stop, but if I had, I would have locked it in the car, or if I was staying at a hotel, etc., I'd have unloaded it and put it in a case before exiting the vehicle.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:42 pm
Thank you for the prompt reply.
Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:17 pm
JT3M wrote:
2nd Question: Has anyone safely transported firearms through the southern portion of Illinois? Including stopping in Illinois?

I have done some research and found that Illinois now permits non-residents to transport firearms. This link summarizes the new law: http://illinoiscc.com/pdfs/Transorting- ... ochure.pdf

My reply probably comes too late to be of much help now, but as a nonresident stationed on active duty in Illinois, I frequently carried concealed in my vehicle in the manner JustaShooter described. I would also transport it unloaded and in a case while on foot, without emptying the magazine. (Just make sure it isn't inserted into your handgun.)

Once you step out of the car, it needs to be unloaded and in a case unless you are simply transferring it to the trunk for storage.

Be sure the carry license you possess is from your state of residence.

"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." - Galations 6:9 (NIV)
 Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]