Forum rules

Moderator Aaron: The U.S. Sportsman's Alliance has given BFA (and me personally) permission to reproduce any of their articles here in the Great Outdoors forum or on our home page, in their entirety, as long as the original source is given credit.
 Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author
Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:05 am
I am wondering if anybody knows if feral pigs have spread into Ohio and if they have been declared invasive. Im not a huge hunter, but going after some feral hogs interests me and if anyone knows any places they allow you to do this that would be awesome.
Post subject: Re: Feral Pigs in Ohio???
Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:22 am
Here is the link from the ODNR.

However, good luck!
I am friends with one of the forest rangers in zaleski state forest and he has only seen them a couple of times. I did some research into going down that way to hunt them and I contacted some of the landowners in the area (got a list from the ODNR) and asked them about any destruction from the wild boars. The overwhelming response was that too many others have blackened the name of out of town hunters and no permission was to be granted. The out of town hunters were not following the requests, trampling crops with vehicles, leaving gates unlatched/open, etc.

"All the public shootings in the United States in which more than three people have been killed have occurred in places where concealed handguns have been banned. "Washington Times article
Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:54 am
Leave it to some stupid people to ruin it for the rest of us. I guess i have to somehow find someone who will let me do it on private property it looks like. :?
Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:58 am
There are a few pigs here and there but they have been so efficient at eradicating them you would be pressed to find them. There were reports of deer hunters shooting them about 3 years ago. To the best of my knowledge none have been taken since.

I hope they are gone and good riddance.

Proud Member of the NRA, Crossbow Nation, Buckeye Firearms Association, Ohio Freedom Alliance

So! This is how liberty dies...With thunderous applause.
Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:43 pm
"Th-th-th-that's all folks!
Post Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:42 am
One of my students has pictures on his trail cam of hogs coming in to his deer feeder at night. He owns approximately 30 acres...problem is, they come in nocturnally. With the properties in the area broken up into such small chunks, you would need permission from 20 different land owners to effectively hunt them. I have been contemplating investing in some night vision equipment, and going after them when they want to be on his property anyway. :wink:

Hence it is, that democracies have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have, in general, been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths

James Madison,,
Federalist Paper No 10
Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 5:49 am
The pig damage will soon override the slob hunter damage. I predict permission to hunt other species will soon come easier with the promise of killing the feral hogs.
Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:30 pm
Aaron wrote:
I have been contemplating investing in some night vision equipment, and going after them when they want to be on his property anyway. :wink:

LOL.. Snipe them from the tree's?

I've heard wild bores can be mighty nasty to hunt.. really dangerous when they get angry.
I hear most people hunt them with large caliber hand guns (mainly revolvers)

I guess in Texas it's REALLY bad but as bad as it is it's not easy to hunt because people have taken to charging folks to hunt them on their property.. talk about making lemonade out of lemons.

• If you can't hit the broad side of a barn, You're not using enough bullets.
  • Zombies are the Trash-men of Humanity.
  • Certified Ammosexual, lolzImage
Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:44 pm
I'm interested in this issue as well, and follow it. While I don't want them in the state, I would love to hunt them at the first opportunity.

Our local ODNR guy hasn't heard much about them in our area, (Wyandot Co.), but I ask every time I see him.

Let's know what we're talking about here, ideas have consequences.
Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:59 pm
If you want permission to hunt, show up when the work needs done and get dirty, dusty, wet, and tired.

I am glad my father in law gave everybody but us family the boot from his property.

He gave one guy permission. next thing you know the guys son is out there, then the son and 10 guys are drive hunting the whole property...then they all got the boot. Now it is just us family.

Bill

America NO LONGER held hostage by ZERO the lying dictator.......:-)

Ohio, a government of the unions, by the unions, for the unions
Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:44 am
They usually come out about 2 am when the bars close, I hear! :lol:

Jr.....Out

WWJMBD
USN Veteran
COTEP CBOB0406
The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved
Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:21 pm
Back in the early 90's I was hunting in SE Ohio and we had an experience with Russian Wild Boars released from a hunting preserve that had gone broke. You can probably find an old Dispatch article about it.

Anyway, my understanding is that these hogs are still around in the hocking hills, zaleski, wayne national forest area.

They are nasty mean creatures.
Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:29 pm
So that is where they came from!
Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:48 pm
I dont remember if its Discovery or Animal Planet, but one of them have a show on called Hogs Gone wild.
Its about a couple different groups who go hunting feral hogs. One is in Hawaii, and the other i think is in Florida. Its a good show, and It's piqued my interest too.
I guess the meat is pretty good (never had it, but the show says so) but it can be a lot of work. A lot of them donate the food to charity.
Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:48 am
TigerRP wrote:
Back in the early 90's I was hunting in SE Ohio and we had an experience with Russian Wild Boars released from a hunting preserve that had gone broke. You can probably find an old Dispatch article about it.

Anyway, my understanding is that these hogs are still around in the hocking hills, zaleski, wayne national forest area.

They are nasty mean creatures.

You are 100% correct. I grew up in that area and it's was at Allensville Ohio, halfway between Chillicothe and Athens on US 50. There is a gas station across the road from where it was, called The Cross Creek General Store. Hope this helps some of you pig hunters.

Ranger 230
NRA Patron Member
”Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.”
~Benjamin Franklin
 Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next