Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Buckeye Firearms Association » The Great Outdoors

Forum rules

Moderator Aaron: The U.S. Sportsman's Alliance has given BFA (and me personally) permission to reproduce any of their articles here in the Great Outdoors forum or on our home page, in their entirety, as long as the original source is given credit.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: ORC: Shooting Bows & Arrows
 Post Posted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:42 pm 

Is there anything in the Ohio Revised Code that addresses shooting bows and arrows within city limits? I'm familiar with ORC indicating discharging of a firearm being a no-no but I can't seem to find any verbiage specifically addressing the legality of firing/shooting a bow & arrow, crossbow, etc on private property and/or within city limits. Any takers that are more adept with what is buried in the ORC spaghetti strings?

Post subject: Re: ORC: Shooting Bows & Arrows
 Post Posted: Sat May 12, 2012 7:31 pm 

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you'll find anything restricting that. You still have the possibility of neighbors complaining and police telling you to stop, but that would depend on your neighbors, how close the houses are, etc.

I had a cousin who shot a groundhog years ago in a residential area. Game warden came and wrote him a ticket for hunting out of season or something. Nothing was said about the impliment used.

CCC Range committee and Lake committee
Second Call Defense Recruiter

If you like guns, click here! https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/sign ... ID=nranews

Post Posted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:39 pm 

That's about what I thought. The basis of the question was two-fold
1) I inherited a big reflex and a smaller longbow that need re-strung and it could be fun to learn

2) my 18 year old neighbor seems to "forget" each summer that I don't want him shooting his arrows out of his yard, over out mutual neighbor's, over my yard, then into a yard frequented by the 3 toddlers that live there.

Post Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:07 am 
Site Admin

That sort of thing isn't handled at the state level. Local laws apply to things like archery and air guns. If you live in Columbus proper there is no local law that forbids archery on your own land. You can't hunt but you can target shoot. Several of the satellite communities are OK with archery too.

If you lived in Gahanna as an example they have an issue if the projectile leaves your own land.
Quote:
549.09 THROWING OR SHOOTING MISSILES.
(a) No person shall throw, shoot or propel an arrow, missile, pellet, stone, metal or other similar substance capable of causing physical harm to persons or property, in or on any public place, in or on the property of another, or from any private property into or onto any public place or the property of another. This section does not apply to supervised archery ranges or instruction nor when otherwise lawfully authorized.
(b) Whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree.

Lawfully authorized would probably cover their urban archery program hunters. There is no complete prohibition but you need to keep the arrow on your own land.

What area do you live in exactly?

So! This is how liberty dies...With thunderous applause.

Post Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:56 am 

I'm in New Albany but within The Columbus precinct. Wonderful mix of jurisdiction.

Post Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:56 pm 
Site Admin

See if you can get a number for the city attorney or contact the safety director. They'll likely know the scoop.

Post Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:16 pm 

I'm going to check it out a bit during the week. I'm also the proud owner of a "new" arrow that was found in my yard =P

Post Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:32 pm 
Site Admin

I am sure you are eager to burn this guy for negligence but I would hope you use restraint. Be careful not to get the activity banned. That would be the equivalent of me banning your shooting range. With that said you could probably get similar language added like Gahanna has. After a few fines and court costs I am certain your neighbor would improve his backstop.

Post Posted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:29 pm 

There's no burning to be had other than, "don't be a dope" and "hey, parents... tell your dope son to stop being a dope or I'll call the police". Personally I would not want it banned since I'm getting my inherited bows restrung and would like to partake in some target practice for fun.

Regarding the "backstop", that's not the issue. The back of the property hits protected wetlands of which they have many trees to shoot at on their own land. Everyone's yard is long and narrow... what this kid is doing is shooting *across* the narrow yards so he can shoot it further like he's friggin' Robin Hood or something. So dangerous with the fact there are toddlers in every yard he has decided to fly over.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Board index » Buckeye Firearms Association » The Great Outdoors