Forum rules

Moderator Aaron: The U.S. Sportsman's Alliance has given BFA (and me personally) permission to reproduce any of their articles here in the Great Outdoors forum or on our home page, in their entirety, as long as the original source is given credit.
 Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: New Antlerless Deer Muzzleloader Season a Success for Hunter
Post Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:45 am
I hardly call this a success. I think we harvested more deer in the "bonus gun weekend" that they did away with.

Quote:
COLUMBUS, OH – Ohio muzzleloader hunters enjoyed warm weather as they harvested 5,608 antlerless white-tailed deer during the new antlerless-only muzzleloader hunting weekend Oct. 12-13, according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR).

“Ohio’s first antlerless-only muzzleloader deer season was a success, and we are pleased so many hunters participated,” said ODNR Director James Zehringer. “We remain committed to providing Ohio’s sportsmen and women with some of the best hunting opportunities in the nation.”

The new antlerless muzzleloader weekend was the first opportunity to take advantage of Ohio’s new extended hunting hours. A half hour of golden opportunity hunting time after sunset was added to all of this year’s upcoming deer-gun hunting seasons.

The Ohio counties that reported the most checked deer during the 2013 antlerless-only muzzleloader season: Ashtabula (200), Licking (164), Guernsey (144), Muskingum (143), Knox (141), Coshocton (138), Adams (135), Columbiana (128), Carroll (120), Athens (117) and Trumbull (117).

The ODNR Division of Wildlife remains committed to properly managing Ohio’s deer populations through a combination of regulatory and programmatic changes. This new early muzzleloader season also serves to help manage the state’s deer herd. Progress toward reducing locally abundant herds can be expected, and strides have been made to reduce deer herds in many counties closer to target levels.

Ohio hunters are encouraged to hunt more does this season to help the needy in their area. The ODNR Division of Wildlife is working with Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry (FHFH) to help pay for the processing of donated venison. Hunters who donate their deer to a food bank are not required to pay the processing cost as long as funding for the effort lasts. More information about this program can be found online at fhfh.org.

Deer hunting in Ohio continues to be a popular activity for many who enjoy the outdoors. Ohio hunters checked 218,910 deer during the 2012-2013 season. Ohio ranks fifth nationally in resident hunters and 11th in the number of jobs associated with hunting-related industries. Hunting has a more than $853 million economic impact in Ohio through the sale of equipment, fuel, food, lodging and more, according to the National Shooting Sports Foundation’s Hunting in America: An Economic Force for Conservation publication. Find more information about Ohio deer hunting at wildohio.com.

ODNR ensures a balance between wise use and protection of our natural resources for the benefit of all. Visit the ODNR website at ohiodnr.gov.

Source: http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/News/Ne ... nters.aspx

Proud Member of the NRA, Crossbow Nation, Buckeye Firearms Association, Ohio Freedom Alliance

So! This is how liberty dies...With thunderous applause.
Site Admin
Post subject: Re: New Antlerless Deer Muzzleloader Season a Success for Hu
Post Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:54 am
Not a success in my book.... Didn't hear a shot where I was in Pike county
Post Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:20 pm
Just looked up the stats...

For the 2012-2013 season a total of 14,365 deer were harvested during the deer gun bonus weekend. 4306 bucks, 8210 does and 1849 buttons. We gave that up for the early ML season to harvest 5608 antlerless deer. Not sure exactly what the reasoning is for this season. It doesn't appear to be about taking more deer. I think it will screw up the rut for bow hunters too.

Proud Member of the NRA, Crossbow Nation, Buckeye Firearms Association, Ohio Freedom Alliance

So! This is how liberty dies...With thunderous applause.
Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:48 pm
I don't know why they're calling it a success. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with for next year.

Joel
NRA Certified Instructor,Member and Recruiter
Centerburg Conservation Club Trustee
CCC Range committee and Lake committee
Second Call Defense Recruiter

If you like guns, click here! https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/sign ... ID=nranews
Post Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:35 pm
Quote:
Ashtabula (200)

Hmmmmm must have been using suppressors cause it was quiet here

An LCP is my CC (constant companion)
Post Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:27 am
I think it is screwed up. Almost went bow hunting without noticing that it was doe only and had to wear hunter orange.
Decided to just stay at the house.

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."
John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton, first Baron Acton (1834–1902)
Post Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:41 am
Buckeye Dan wrote:
Just looked up the stats...

For the 2012-2013 season a total of 14,365 deer were harvested during the deer gun bonus weekend. 4306 bucks, 8210 does and 1849 buttons. We gave that up for the early ML season to harvest 5608 antlerless deer. Not sure exactly what the reasoning is for this season. It doesn't appear to be about taking more deer. I think it will screw up the rut for bow hunters too.

I was out Saturday morning in Williams county, heard a few shots but saw no Deer. I would think the numbers might be kind of hard to work with really, because how many were bow/gun hunters just taking the opportunity to shoot a Deer they might have harvested anyway (another day) with a bow ?

How many people even knew the season existed ?? It is for sure a different hunting experience where I hunt with everything still having leaves on it.

I'm not worried about "screwing up the rut for Archery hunters" they have a three MONTH season as it is :-).

Some folks may not be equipped to hunt ML either, that are/were equipped for the Deer Gun bonus weekend. I hunt a ML in all the seasons I can, but I am in the minority there I think as far as Deer hunters go. Have considered getting a slug barrel for some shotguns setup for 2 footed animals but never seem to get around to it.

Bill

American held hostage by ZERO the lying dictator.......for an indefinite period of time going forward..........

Ohio, a government of the unions, by the unions, for the unions
Post Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:20 pm
Personally, I would prefer it if they opened up deer season completely regardless of your hunting implement. It really pisses me off that bow hunters get such a long season and us who hunt with firearms get such a short one. I also believe it is a primary contributor to related hunting accidents with all the folks crammed into public land over such a short stint. If I own or hunt on PRIVATE property, what business is it of anyone else how I take my deer be it with a bow, muzzleloader, slug gun, etc.? If I can hunt rabbits with a shotgun in the same woods I hunt deer in with a slug gun what difference does it make? As a land owner I do not need a permit to hunt on my own property anyway. It is all about generating revenue for the Gov my friends.

By the way, I heard no shots in Clark County either. Based on ODNR's numbers we averaged around 64 deer/county.
Post Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:32 pm
I hate to say it because I am in favor of an early mz season but I think it should be any deer and time it with the rut. I did not hear a single shot all weekend. It was a warm weekend and the deer were not moving at all. I am not sure the trade off for losing the bonus gun season weekend was worth it. I was hunting Clermont county. I did not even hear many shots during the regular gun season on the two days I was out!
Post Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:46 am
Hmm so how many of the cats are in the state? it sounds like they raffled them off in order to raise money so I'd be curious as to how many cat's there actually are.

Also what are the plans for the animal other then it's skin?
I don't hunt but if I did it would probably be deer or maybe duck and I would eat that M'fer.

I don't condone killing purely for sport.

Spammer, apparently from Pakistan.

Banned....

ali
Last edited by SMMAssociates on Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
spam
 Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]