Forum rules

Moderator Aaron: The U.S. Sportsman's Alliance has given BFA (and me personally) permission to reproduce any of their articles here in the Great Outdoors forum or on our home page, in their entirety, as long as the original source is given credit.
 Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author
Post subject: Pistol Caliber Rifles For Deer Hunting
Post Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:04 am
*Reprint with permission from the Ohio Farm Bureau Federation.*

Columbus, Ohio -- A policy proposed by Greene County Farm Bureau member Larry Moore supporting the use of Pistol Caliber Rifles (PCRs) for deer hunting was approved at the 95th OFBF Annual Meeting.

The quorum of delegates from around the state voted for state policy that would support new rules/regulations allowing for such firearms to be used as legal firearms during the deer gun season. These rifles are normally chambered in .357, .44, or .45 cartridges.

The new policy reads as follows:

~ Encourage the use of Pistol Caliber Rifles (PCR) to be included as legal firearms during the statewide deer gun season

Why allow PCR?

1. The Ohio deer herd is healthy and the Division of Wildlife sees no adverse effects to the deer management program by allowing the use of PCR.

2. Ohio deer hunters are asking for the ability to hunt with this type of firearm.

3. This type of firearm is lighter than shotguns and muzzleloaders, making it ideal for youth, the physically impaired, or any hunter who wishes to carry less weight.

4. The pistol cartridges are currently legal in handguns. They have been used for decades without incident.

5. The pistol cartridges are actually less powerful than the newer shotguns with rifled barrels, inline muzzleloaders, and sabot bullet technology.

6. This caliber rifle is popular in the sport of Cowboy Action Shooting. Many participants want to deer hunt with the rifle they shoot in competition.

7. Because it is a rifle with a shoulder stock, it is easier to shoot more accurately than handguns.

8. All states adjacent to Ohio allow PCR hunting for deer.

9. Indiana moved to allow PCR for deer several years ago without reported problems.

The policy has a strong backing from the Buckeye Firearms Foundation and the Ohio Department of Natural Resources. Ohio Farm Bureau was specifically sought out to support this policy as many firearm and deer hunting enthusiasts recognized the political power of Ohio Farm Bureau and found value in having the state’s largest agriculture organization support a policy that will impact rural Ohio.

Source: https://ofbf.org/counties/clinton/blog/7875/

Proud Member of the NRA, Crossbow Nation, Buckeye Firearms Association, Ohio Freedom Alliance

So! This is how liberty dies...With thunderous applause.
Site Admin
Post subject: Re: Pistol Caliber Rifles For Deer Hunting
Post Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:48 pm
Just to be clear, is BFA pursuing to permit the use of handgun cartridges (.357 Mag, .44 Mag, etc.) in rifles in Ohio or the use of ANY straight-walled cartridge (.45-70 Govt, .444 Marlin, etc.)? I was under the impression that it was straight-walled cartridge, but recent postings using the term "PCR" do not seem to be in line with that notion. Even some of the most powerful straight-walled cartridges are ballistically similar to the modern sabot shotgun slugs.
Post Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:01 pm
Rifles with cartridges that fire a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger; have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches; and have a maximum case length of 1.8 inches are legal to use only during the deer firearms and special antlerless seasons. Some cartridges legal for deer hunting include the .357 Magnum, .38-.40 Winchester, .41 Magnum, .41 Special, .44 Magnum, .44 Special, .44-.40 Winchester, .45 Colt, .454 Casull, .458 SOCOM, .475 Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .50 Action Express, .500 S&W, .460 Smith & Wesson, .450 Bushmaster, and .50 Beowulf.................... I found this info from the indiana dnr. they have put an cartridge case length limit in their law I wonder if ours passed if this would be in ours also ?

M&M
Post Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:49 pm
The proposal was for any cartridge that is currently legal for use in a Handgun in Ohio would be legal for use in a rifle in Ohio.

Not sure exactly what the wording will be once the DNR finishes 'tweaking' it.

JLE

Region Leader
Post Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:30 pm
I realize that but what is proposed and what you end up with are usually somewhat different

M&M
Post Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:47 pm
I sure hope they don't put a case length limit on it. That would throw a lot of really good cartridges out in an already limited spectrum we have to choose from. If someone wants to use a .458 Lott I could care less. Not many people are willing to pay $120+ for 20 rounds of ammo. Now the .45-70 Govt on the other hand I can see being hugely popular. Personally I'd like to see a .375 Whisper on the AR platform with a suppressor. Now, that would be special!
Post Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:00 pm
I have been thinking 444 marlin

M&M
Post Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:27 am
The problem with several of the cartridges is they are mostly found in a lever gun unless you go with something expensive in a custom gun. I enjoy shooting lever guns but with an optic on them they do not fit me well. Instead of a cheek weld to the stock it's more like a chin weld.

I don't really need range but I like that option. My ML and my shotgun will both shoot 100+ yards but I am using a holosight on the shotgun and a scope on the ML. I could easily get by with a .45 Colt lever gun under the conditions I hunt in but I know as I get older, an optic will be more necessary due to failing eyes.

There are single shot options for just about all of these cartridges but if I have to give up the other 2 rounds, I may as well stick with my ML. What I really want is a bolt or pump action in which case I would like the .375 Winchester, .45-70 or the .444 Marlin.

With a market the size of Ohio opening up, it's my hope that the manufacturers provide more options than single shots and lever guns but in the interim I have been drooling over the Henry Big Boy.

Proud Member of the NRA, Crossbow Nation, Buckeye Firearms Association, Ohio Freedom Alliance

Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:45 pm
http://www.hinterlandoutfitters.com/ber ... 23341.html

http://www.hinterlandoutfitters.com/sem ... 33524.html

http://www.hinterlandoutfitters.com/poi ... 32187.html

http://www.hinterlandoutfitters.com/kri ... 37535.html

http://www.hinterlandoutfitters.com/mpa ... 37495.html

http://www.hinterlandoutfitters.com/tau ... 37522.html

http://www.gunsamerica.com/971895803/RU ... CELLEN.htm

and as always,,upgrade the barrel, spring, and if need be bushings.
then you can shoot the +P, or +P+

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress:FrederickDouglass

learning is good .understanding is better .pleas teach with wisdom
Post Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:15 pm
I am actually in the process of buying a KelTec Sub 2000 in .40S&W. It just doesn't appeal to me as a deer rifle given all the other options. Limiting a semi auto carbine to 3 rounds just seems wrong to me. I could practice mag swaps and overcome that easily but why bother when I can get more power and range from a manual action in a much larger caliber.

I want a .375 Winchester in a pump action. When someone makes an affordable one of those it will be the last deer gun I hunt with.

Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:08 pm
Checkout the CZ's Safari series. The .458 Lott, .458 Win, etc. can be interchangeable and if you handload you can easily lighten them up. On CDNN a while back I waw a Winchester 70 Safari for under $900. Should have bought it I know!
Post Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:35 pm
jcsabolt2 wrote:
Checkout the CZ's Safari series. The .458 Lott, .458 Win, etc. can be interchangeable and if you handload you can easily lighten them up. On CDNN a while back I waw a Winchester 70 Safari for under $900. Should have bought it I know!

That is a bit overkill for my liking. The African game cartridges just don't appeal to me even if they were nerfed hand loads. I am really into these:

.357 Mag
.44 Mag
.375 Winchester
.444 Marlin
.45-70

Out of all of them, the .375 Win is as unusual as I care to mess with. I just like the size and shape of it the best. Performance is also fine by me.

Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:21 pm
Is it still the understanding that any pistol caliber rifle would be limited to 3 rounds (or some other magic number) when deer hunting? If so, how would this be enforced with detachable magazines? Even my old Remington 76 magazines hold 4 rounds.

Zeko
Post Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:12 pm
If this passes I would probably end up with a single shot in 44 mag with a scope, possibly a lever action. I'd have to shop around but I will be buying something if it passes.

Joel
NRA Certified Instructor,Member and Recruiter
Centerburg Conservation Club Trustee
CCC Range committee and Lake committee
Second Call Defense Recruiter

If you like guns, click here! https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/sign ... ID=nranews
Post Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:38 pm
zeko wrote:
Is it still the understanding that any pistol caliber rifle would be limited to 3 rounds (or some other magic number) when deer hunting? If so, how would this be enforced with detachable magazines? Even my old Remington 76 magazines hold 4 rounds.

Zeko

Box magazines can easily be plugged if the magazine can be disassembled. You just need to open it up and insert piece that causes the follower to bottom out by hitting it before the 3rd round can be inserted. The shape of the piece depends on the spring type and clearances inside the box. Colt blocked 20 round AR-15 magazines by inserting a U shaped piece in the "Sporter" magazines.

Rotary magazines are a little trickier but can be blocked by inserting a filler through the fins of the rotary so a round won't fit into the blocked chambers. You can also glue filler pieces into those fins but that is permanent.

Site Admin
 Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next