Forum rules

Moderator Aaron: The U.S. Sportsman's Alliance has given BFA (and me personally) permission to reproduce any of their articles here in the Great Outdoors forum or on our home page, in their entirety, as long as the original source is given credit.
 Page 3 of 4 [ 50 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author
Post subject: Re: Pistol Caliber Rifles For Deer Hunting
Post Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:57 pm
So does anyone know exactly if the new law will allow all of the straight walled cases allowed with the old handgun law or if it is restricted to only those cartridges listed. I have heard both ways and was just curious. Trying to see if it will be a 450 marlin or if I need to try to find me another caliber.
Post Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:57 am
we will know for sure I would imagine after the april 9th vote. whatever they approve on this looks like a large step in the right direction but its hard to be patient and wait for the vote, but thats only a few weeks away and we have allready been waiting years to get this far. I am wanting a 444 marlin but gonna wait till after the vote to know for sure. I don't want to buy something I can't use

M&M
Post Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:44 pm
As has been the case too many times in the past, it likely won't be everything we would like to start with, but once it is in place, changes will come easier.

JLE

Region Leader
Post Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:45 pm
Looking forward to the vote on this and hoping it goes well.

Let's know what we're talking about here, ideas have consequences.
Post Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:07 pm
So they changed the proposal to only loading 3 rounds instead of requiring dummy ammo or plug?

An LCP is my CC (constant companion)
Post Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:06 am
that would make it easier than having to figure out a way to mod. a rifle with a plug most folks are honest and law abiding and will follow the law.

M&M
Post Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:44 pm
petergunn wrote:
So they changed the proposal to only loading 3 rounds instead of requiring dummy ammo or plug?

Yes. Various safety concerns about people confusing the cartridges.

Proud Member of the NRA, Crossbow Nation, Buckeye Firearms Association, Ohio Freedom Alliance

So! This is how liberty dies...With thunderous applause.
Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:30 pm
Cool, Good job to all who labored on this.

An LCP is my CC (constant companion)
Post Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:04 pm
willbird wrote:
MANY people think the list that is published now for handguns is EXCLUSIVE, IE they feel that ctg NOT on the list are not legal, and that is NOT true....the list for handguns just illustrates SOME legal ctg. but ones not on the list that still meet the requirements ARE LEGAL.

So what do you think now?

Straight-walled cartridge rifles approved for hunting white-tailed deer in Ohio!
Legal deer hunting rifles are chambered for the following calibers: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .454 Casull, .460 Smith & Wesson, .45-70, .45-90, .45-110, .475 Linebaugh, .50-70, .50-90, .50-100, .50-110 and .500 Smith & Wesson.

A lot of good cartridges, not to mention Wildcats, have been excluded from this list for absolutely no reason in terms of ballistics, terminal perforamnce, or safety of the hunting community or general public. I'll be hunting deer in Canada with my .30-06 this fall so what do I care.
Post Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:21 pm
I think some of the confusion is coming from the fact that for pistols, there was always the 'or any other cartridges the DNR determines meets the guidelines' Currently they have not added this open ended exception to the ones approved for straight walled cartridge rifles.

I guess we can be patient a little bit longer, it only took the constant work of Dan, Aaron and others over 10 years to get us this far.

JLE

PS, There are a LOT of good cartridges on the 'inclusive' list for this first year and word is getting out. At the gunshow this weekend, I saw a couple .357 and .44 lever actions on a table and was waiting to make sure the vendor knew about the changes to the regs. Before I could get to them, another guy stepped up and pointed out the exact same thing. Turns out, the vendor was already aware of the changes as her husband is hunter.

Region Leader
Post Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:26 am
So how do you plug a lever action. I have a Henry.44 mag
Post Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:51 am
Ted D wrote:
So how do you plug a lever action. I have a Henry.44 mag

Under current wording you'll be on 'the honor system' to have the correct amount of rounds in your gun while deer hunting.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:30 am
I commend BFA whole heartedly on getting ODNR to pass any legislation at all. For me what ODNR passed just doesn't pass a simple common sense check. However, since I work for the Govt I should know better then to use the words "common sense" and "Govt" in the same sentence.

Here's an example, take nearly anyone of those Sharps cartridges, ream out a Ruger No. 1 or any big bore bolt action and you can load a .45-70 or numerous other cartridges to levels that rival a .458 Win Mag or possibly even a .458 Lott. Now, someone explain to me why the 10mm Auto is not on this list, not to mention the about a dozen others? It is simple things like this that just make me say..."Really?" I'm sure this will eventually change, but how many more resources on the private and public side will be spent doing so? What will that cost? It just is what it is.
Post Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:17 pm
jcsabolt2 wrote:
willbird wrote:
MANY people think the list that is published now for handguns is EXCLUSIVE, IE they feel that ctg NOT on the list are not legal, and that is NOT true....the list for handguns just illustrates SOME legal ctg. but ones not on the list that still meet the requirements ARE LEGAL.

So what do you think now?

Straight-walled cartridge rifles approved for hunting white-tailed deer in Ohio!
Legal deer hunting rifles are chambered for the following calibers: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .454 Casull, .460 Smith & Wesson, .45-70, .45-90, .45-110, .475 Linebaugh, .50-70, .50-90, .50-100, .50-110 and .500 Smith & Wesson.

A lot of good cartridges, not to mention Wildcats, have been excluded from this list for absolutely no reason in terms of ballistics, terminal perforamnce, or safety of the hunting community or general public. I'll be hunting deer in Canada with my .30-06 this fall so what do I care.

As always a "horse designed by a committee" ends up being a strange creature :-). I still prefer "Indiana style" :-).....but I must have been the only one that did :-).......being able to trim the necks on 35 rem (making a 35 hoosier) would be a lot more "bolt action friendly". I'm thinking Trapdoor Springfield myself to begin with.......maybe a wildcat .416 of they open up the definitions a bit later, I have a pile of parts to build a .416 smokeless muzzle loader.

Bill

America NO LONGER held hostage by ZERO the lying dictator.......:-)

Ohio, a government of the unions, by the unions, for the unions
Post Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:54 pm
Legal deer hunting rifles are chambered for the following calibers: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .454 Casull, .460 Smith & Wesson, .45-70, .45-90, .45-110, .475 Linebaugh, .50-70, .50-90, .50-100, .50-110 and .500 Smith & Wesson............. that being said or put in print or however you want to look at it, I understand that as only those specific calibers will be legal in rifles for deer hunting. I also realize that this is just the beginning for this in our state and it is likely to be adjusted and other calibers may be added in the coming years when they realize that these rifles will not make hunting in ohio unsafe or less safe. I think we just need to be patient and remember this is a start and nothing is ever perfect but its getting better and once again thank you so much to the folks that worked so hard on this for so long

M&M
 Page 3 of 4 [ 50 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next