Forum rules

Moderator Aaron: The U.S. Sportsman's Alliance has given BFA (and me personally) permission to reproduce any of their articles here in the Great Outdoors forum or on our home page, in their entirety, as long as the original source is given credit.
 Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: Pistol Caliber Rifles sent to Wildlife Council!
Post Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:09 am
Buckeye Firearms Association applauds the Ohio Division of Wildlife for making the proposal so Ohio deer hunters will have another tool available as they enjoy deer hunting starting in 2014. We thank the OFBF for their support of PCR. We hope the Ohio Wildlife Council will adopt the proposed policy.

The whole story here: http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/9315

Proud Member of the NRA, Crossbow Nation, Buckeye Firearms Association, Ohio Freedom Alliance

So! This is how liberty dies...With thunderous applause.
Site Admin
Post subject: Re: Pistol Caliber Rifles sent to Wildlife Council!
Post Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:55 am
Another example of grassroots work working. Thanks to everyone involved, specifically Dan, Aaron and several other tireless volunteers have spent years getting us to this point.

JLE

Region Leader
Post Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:30 pm
getting close, when does the wildlife council vote on these type of proposals ?

M&M
Post Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:00 pm
M&M wrote:
getting close, when does the wildlife council vote on these type of proposals ?

In March following the Open House meetings. I think March the 5th this year.

Proud Member of the NRA, Crossbow Nation, Buckeye Firearms Association, Ohio Freedom Alliance

Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:24 pm
If this were to be adopted, is there talk about how the rule for the plug will be implemented? For example, the Henry lever action rifles are loaded through the top of the tube rather than through the side. Or the Ruger 77/44 which is a bolt action 44 mag fed through a rotary magazine. I've heard rumors that the plug will have to be something the requires disassembly of the gun...no clue if that is based in fact or not though, but if it is I am guessing it would negate the Henry's, and anything like the Ruger 77. I've had my eye on a few of these for a while, and how this all shakes out will probably determine what I buy.
Post Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:33 pm
Quote:
It is further proposed that these rifles be limited to a total of 3 live cartridges through the use of a plug or inert ammunition inserted into the magazine.

Use dummy rounds. Also I am told that Henry has a plugging solution as well.

Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:04 pm
Ohhhhh the possibilities! Any chance you have the actual text that is being proposed?

450 Bushmaster
Post Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:37 pm
You better check what ODNR is proposing:

http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/wildlife-ho ... bag-limits
A proposal was also offered that would allow the use of pistol cartridge rifles for deer hunting. The proposed rifles are the same caliber and use the same straight-walled cartridges that are currently legal for use in handguns. The proposal is designed to allow additional gun-hunting opportunities for hunters that own these guns or want to hunt with these guns. These rifles have reduced recoil compared to larger shotguns, and the proposed rifles are more accurate than the same caliber handgun.

Proposed hunting rifles are chambered for the following calibers: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .454 Casull, .460 Smith & Wesson, .45-70, .45-90, .45-110, .475 Linebaugh, .50-70, .50-90, .50-100, .50-110 and .500 Smith & Wesson.

I'm sorry, but I have to cry B.S.! I sure hope this is NOT the actual text, but more of a description with examples. From that quoted text above this means the .450 Bushmaster is out along with numerous other straight-walled cartridges. Looks like using any wildcats or new developed cartridges would be out based on the text too.
Post Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:13 pm
Do any of you remember how handgun hunting was introduced to Ohio, and how it developed into the current set of regulations regarding caliber? It seems so very easy for those of you who haven't been working on this for 8yrs to get a little anxious over the process. No, everyone is not going to get everything they want immediately. Be patient. It's been a long wait, but very soon we will be hunting deer in Ohio with a new set of tools at our disposal. Before you know it, this list will likely go away just as it did for handguns.

Hence it is, that democracies have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have, in general, been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths

James Madison,,
Federalist Paper No 10
Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:00 pm
Here is the response I sent in to ODNR today 2/19.

Concerning the proposed text for "1501:31-15-11 Deer Regulations" I think you have put an undue burden on the officers and hunting community by specifically calling out cartridges by caliber and name while leaving many others off the list for no apparent reason such as the .40 S&W, 10mm, .375 Whisper, .450 Marlin, .450 Bushmaster, .480 Ruger, .50 Beowulf, etc. all of which are straight-walled cartridges and with similar power levels and trajectories as the ones listed. You need to keep this simple for the law enforcement officers and the general public. Is a law enforcement officer expected to be able to recite every legal cartridge to be used? How do you think a judge would rule if someone used a cartridge not on the list, but was similar in cartridge shape, performance and trajectory? The text as proposed really unnecessarily muddies the waters. Stick with the original language as proposed by the Buckeye Firearms Association for the use of straight-walled cartridges in calibers of .357 and above. This would exclude any bottleneck shaped cartridges like the .30-06, but would include cartridges with a single body taper that most straight-walled cartridges have. Calling out specific cartridges also limits the innovation by individuals and industry from developing new cartridges to fit this market.

What ODNR has proposed MAKES NO SENSE and will be a pain in the butt for the officers to enforce and the attorney's and judges both will have a hay day with it. The .38 SPL is permitted, but the .40 S&W and 10mm are not...really? Not to mention the host of other cartirdges left off the list including the .480 Ruger. I'm not bashing the efforts of BFA by any means, but ODNR needs a sanity check on this issue. This is like saying you can drive 35-45mph, but NOT 37 or 43mph. It just doesn't make any logical sense. Hopefully a GOOD state attorney will get a hold of it that has some firearms experience. I'm not stopping with ODNR on this issue either. I'll be contacting my reps as well.
 Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]