Forum rules

Moderator Aaron: The U.S. Sportsman's Alliance has given BFA (and me personally) permission to reproduce any of their articles here in the Great Outdoors forum or on our home page, in their entirety, as long as the original source is given credit.
 Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author
Post Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:01 pm
Ohio Wildlife Council to Consider Proposed Deer Hunting Dates, Bag Limits

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/News/Ne ... imits.aspx

Proud Member of the NRA, Crossbow Nation, Buckeye Firearms Association, Ohio Freedom Alliance

So! This is how liberty dies...With thunderous applause.
Site Admin
Post subject: Re: ODNR News Release
Post Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:03 pm
looks like you guys have made a lot of progress, great work!!!

NRA Endowment
GOA Life
SAF Life
Buckeye Firearms Assoc
Ohioans for Concealed Carry
Oregon Firearms Federation
Maryland Shall Issue
Colorado Second Amendment Assoc
Post Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:02 am
Quote:
Proposed hunting rifles are chambered for the following calibers: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .454 Casull, .460 Smith & Wesson, .45-70, .45-90, .45-110, .475 Linebaugh, .50-70, .50-90, .50-100, .50-110 and .500 Smith & Wesson.

My first choice would be a .45C lever gun but since they're limiting capacity That's looking less appealing, second choice I guess would be a single shot .45-70 but would that be that much different than my shotgun slug gun? I don't know maybe my best play would be an inline muzzleloader for a two day warm weather hunt in October, but I'd really like it if they would just add handgun to that early season hunt.

An LCP is my CC (constant companion)
Post Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:34 am
I'm leaning towards a T/C encore with a barrel for either 44 mag or 500 S&W. Probably go with the 44 mag just for cost of ammo/reloading components and the option to let my kids shoot it with 44 special. Depending on the budget when this passes a H&R handy rifle in 44 mag with a scope is my second choice since it would be a fraction of the cost. I've never had the need to fire two shots close together while deer hunting and a muzzleloader has always been my gun season choice.

44 mag would be awesome just because it's much easier to load and unload and cleaning would be way faster than the black powder mess I've been dealing with. Also I don't practice much with the muzzleloader for obvious reasons but would probably shoot the 44 a ton and reload my own ammo for it. Yeah, I'm getting excited.

Joel
NRA Certified Instructor,Member and Recruiter
Centerburg Conservation Club Trustee
CCC Range committee and Lake committee
Second Call Defense Recruiter

If you like guns, click here! https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/sign ... ID=nranews
Post Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:57 am
NRAInstructor wrote:
Yeah, I'm getting excited.

LOL!
I think we all are. We have so many new options and so little time to use them all. :D

Proud Member of the NRA, Crossbow Nation, Buckeye Firearms Association, Ohio Freedom Alliance

Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:16 pm
I am thinking 444 marlin

M&M
Post Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:24 pm
375 Winchester would look to be the best choice to me out of any of them.

Sierra has a 300 grain .375 bullet that has a .475 BC....probably giving it the edge in trajectory and wind drift over all the other choices. Some folks are pushing a 300 grain in the 375 Winchester to 2000 fps, guess I need to build a 375 win bolt action rifle maybe :-).

American held hostage by ZERO the lying dictator.......for an indefinite period of time going forward..........

Ohio, a government of the unions, by the unions, for the unions
Post Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:35 pm
Hornady also has a 250 grain GMX that has a .430 BC.

American held hostage by ZERO the lying dictator.......for an indefinite period of time going forward..........

Post Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:33 pm
I will be using my 450 marlin bolt action. It is. One of my favorite guns. I didn't see it on the list of calibers but it is a straight walled case, so it should fit the bill shouldn't it.

So moving forward, does it seem to be a pretty sure bet this is going to pass Nd be changed before this years hunting season. Or are there more hoops to jump through.

Thank you guys for all your hard work on this.
Post Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:02 am
petergunn wrote:
Quote:
Proposed hunting rifles are chambered for the following calibers: ... .38 Special, ...

.38 special? Even out of a rifle length barrel, would that have enough oomph to be considered sporting for a deer?
Post Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:51 am
willbird, Great minds think alike with one exception, I want a .375 Win in a pump action.

As for the .450 Bushmaster and all of the other missing cartridges on the list like .40 S&W, 10mm, .50 Beowulf etc., I am not sure they will make it. The .450 Bushmaster and .50 Beowulf are arguably rifle rounds but there was no need to exclude the .40 S&W and the 10mm while including the .45 auto.

Everyone should try their best to attend an open house and ask for the old straight walled criteria to accompany "the list". That would cover missing rounds from the list and any future rounds that are developed.

Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:58 am
les nessman wrote:
petergunn wrote:
Quote:
Proposed hunting rifles are chambered for the following calibers: ... .38 Special, ...

.38 special? Even out of a rifle length barrel, would that have enough oomph to be considered sporting for a deer?

I think it is legal in a pistol now ??

Bill

Post Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:39 pm
Buckeye Dan wrote:
willbird, Great minds think alike with one exception, I want a .375 Win in a pump action.

As for the .450 Bushmaster and all of the other missing cartridges on the list like .40 S&W, 10mm, .50 Beowulf etc., I am not sure they will make it. The .450 Bushmaster and .50 Beowulf are arguably rifle rounds but there was no need to exclude the .40 S&W and the 10mm while including the .45 auto.

Everyone should try their best to attend an open house and ask for the old straight walled criteria to accompany "the list". That would cover missing rounds from the list and any future rounds that are developed.

I will go and make a case for the old straight walled criteria to be accepted. I think it is easier and clearer to leave it that way. I have actually hunted with an encore pistol in 450 Marlin. I have a bolt action in that caliber as well that I was hoping to be able to use. Just kind of an updated 45/70.
Post Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:37 pm
I had forgotten the .450 Marlin. There are definitely handguns chambered for that and some lever guns too. It should be on the list but it wouldn't necessarily need to be if the straight wall criteria is part of it.

Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:28 pm
Buckeye Dan wrote:
I had forgotten the .450 Marlin. There are definitely handguns chambered for that and some lever guns too. It should be on the list but it wouldn't necessarily need to be if the straight wall criteria is part of it.

I sure hope the 450 marlin is added. I already have the bolt action rifle for it. I had even looked at the magnum research bfr revolvers in 450 marlin as I love the round. Now you guys save me some money and get it added to that list.
 Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next