Forum rules

Moderator Aaron: The U.S. Sportsman's Alliance has given BFA (and me personally) permission to reproduce any of their articles here in the Great Outdoors forum or on our home page, in their entirety, as long as the original source is given credit.
 Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author
Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:34 am
This isn't my first choice but I think I'll take a deer with a .357 in a lever action gun this coming gun season. I forgot my grandpa had one when he passed away a couple years ago and now my dad has it. Grandpa would like to see a deer shot with it by me and it would make for a good memory so I'll use that on this next season, which gives me much more time to decide and buy what I want.

Really leaning towards 44 magnum still. The places I hunt I've never had a shot past 85 yards or so (most were less than 50 yards) and I think the 44 mag would do just fine at that distance. Also I have 2 kids that are getting closer to wanting to hunt so 44 special would be a nice mild load for them. I'm sure there are better choices out there but that'll most likely be my first one.

Oh boy. I think I'm going to have a collection of deer guns before long. :lol:

Joel
NRA Certified Instructor,Member and Recruiter
Centerburg Conservation Club Trustee
CCC Range committee and Lake committee
Second Call Defense Recruiter

If you like guns, click here! https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/sign ... ID=nranews
Post subject: Re: ODNR News Release
Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:30 pm
Buckeye Dan wrote:
I had forgotten the .450 Marlin. There are definitely handguns chambered for that and some lever guns too. It should be on the list but it wouldn't necessarily need to be if the straight wall criteria is part of it.

Ohio seems to be a "state of increments"................and the handgun law at first allowed only revolvers in certain calibers, then pistols and revolvers only in certain calibers, and today it is much less restrictive.

I still like the Indiana law that has a MAXIMUM case length and a MINIMUM caliber for "carbines".....bottle necked ctg like the 358 hoosier (which is a cut down 35 remington) work a lot better in bolt action rifles, and it sure does not do anything outrageous that the proposed regulations here do not do.

But the powers that be....or momentum apparently has decreed what is happening.

if it does get implemented there are a number of ctg that cross over between OH and IN though, which is not a bad thing.

American held hostage by ZERO the lying dictator.......for an indefinite period of time going forward..........

Ohio, a government of the unions, by the unions, for the unions
Post Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:44 pm
Reading from the ODNR website, it looks like .44 magnum leverguns will be fairly easy to adapt to the 3-shot limit:

It is proposed that this rule be amended to allow the use of certain caliber rifles during the firearms season for deer. These rifles are traditional black powder cartridge or pistol cartridge rifles and include the following calibers: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum,.444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .454 Casull, .460 Smith & Wesson, .45-70, .45-90, .45-110, .50-70, .50-90, .50-100, .50-110, .475 Linebaugh, .500 Smith & Wesson. It is further proposed that these rifles be limited to a total of 3 live cartridges through the use of a plug or inert ammunition inserted into the magazine.

(emphasis added)

Zeko
Post Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:18 pm
I have on hand a 94 Win-.45 colt from my cowboy ac. shoot days and a vaquero,same caliber. Also a Marlin Guide gun-.45-70. Was giving some thought on scoping the Marlin with a long eye relief setup,but never did.Since my legs don't cooperate with traipsing around the hills any more,I could set in the stand on the back forty and aim down from the elevation.My compadre's also got a Rossi 92 lever-.357 I could use. Inert rounds,I figure use a few cartridge cases and slip some wood plugs turned down the same length, dia as a live round. Should suffice ?
Post Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:50 am
hackleshinn wrote:
I have on hand a 94 Win-.45 colt from my cowboy ac. shoot days and a vaquero,same caliber. Also a Marlin Guide gun-.45-70. Was giving some thought on scoping the Marlin with a long eye relief setup,but never did.Since my legs don't cooperate with traipsing around the hills any more,I could set in the stand on the back forty and aim down from the elevation.My compadre's also got a Rossi 92 lever-.357 I could use. Inert rounds,I figure use a few cartridge cases and slip some wood plugs turned down the same length, dia as a live round. Should suffice ?

Dummy training rounds are quite cheap, Brownells has them, I use them for NRA Basic Pistol classes.

Bill

American held hostage by ZERO the lying dictator.......for an indefinite period of time going forward..........

Ohio, a government of the unions, by the unions, for the unions
 Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2