Forum rules

Moderator Aaron: The U.S. Sportsman's Alliance has given BFA (and me personally) permission to reproduce any of their articles here in the Great Outdoors forum or on our home page, in their entirety, as long as the original source is given credit.
 Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
Author
Post Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:33 am
5 years after being dragged, kicking and screaming into the straight walled rifle cartridge project, it finally happened.

I am joking about the kicking and screaming. I volunteered wholeheartedly because it was something I believed in. Keep in mind that Aaron and Larry had 3 or 4 years invested before me.

I must admit that I saw this taking longer than it did. I was so invested in this one thing that I kind of lost sight of other things that may have been possible in the same time frame. Hunting deer gun season a 1/2 hour after sunset was not one of them but we accomplished that. Since I thought I would be wrapped up in the PCR stuff a while longer, I hadn't given much thought to what would come after that.

So what is next? Keep your comments firearm/hunting rights related. The advancement of hunting and the shooting sports in general is a good idea. This is not the place to complain about the bag limits in your county or criticize the ODNR for the way they do things.

I have these two that have been on my mind for some time:
Allow hunters to conceal the handgun that they hunt with/Allow hunters to hunt with their concealed handgun. Governor Perry shot a Coyote in the spring of 2010. I never did the research to figure out how that would play out in Ohio. It did make me think about the topic however.

Confiscated property from wildlife violations cannot be destroyed and must be public auctioned. This may already be the case but it seemed to me that I should be able to find it in law. I could not. I also didn't look that hard.

There should be some mechanism mandated by law for the ODNR to dispose of their "evidence" and "property" that not only generates money for them but puts that equipment back into circulation for the law abiding.

If the ODNR wins a criminal case and a desirable trophy is part of that case, why shouldn't they auction off the original for some lodges or restaurants to bid on? Perhaps the item is a fishing pole, boat or anything else that is desirable to the law abiding community seeking lawful items. If they are stockpiling that sort of stuff then good for them but they need a pathway to release that inventory.

If that stuff is being destroyed then it needs to stop.

What does everyone else have on their list?

Proud Member of the NRA, Crossbow Nation, Buckeye Firearms Association, Ohio Freedom Alliance

So! This is how liberty dies...With thunderous applause.
Site Admin
Post subject: Re: What's next on the list?
Post Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:46 pm
I would like an early handgun deer season, whether it's handguns added to the early muzzleloader weekend or a weekend for just handguns.

An LCP is my CC (constant companion)
Post Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:30 am
I know this will probably never happen, but why not eliminate the need for the various "huntiung seasons" of deer with different weapons at least on private property. If someone chooses to hunt with a bow, crossbow, muzzleloader, shotgun, rifle, handgun, etc. I could really care less. If ODNR wants XXX deer to be in the freezer, they know stastically how many tags they sell vs. how many get filled. The bow hunters get the vast bulk of the season as it is and while I do own a bow and am looking into a crossbow I see no reason to create specific times of the hunting season when a person can use their hunting implement. This has become a political pissing match between the various organizations. If I am on MY OWN PROPERTY what business is it of anyone else what hunting implement I use as long as I have the correct paperwork?

As for the question concerning the coyote...at least here in OH you can shoot them on-site with whatever you have handy. Just like groudhogs. There is no established season for either of them.
Post Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:07 am
^ +100 I'm a landowner and I concur.

An LCP is my CC (constant companion)
Post Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:06 pm
Let's hope Grossman's "Hunting With Supressors" bill makes it through...

Hence it is, that democracies have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have, in general, been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths

James Madison,,
Federalist Paper No 10
Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:41 am
I had lost touch with this thread until Aaron posted.

@jscabolt
I gave the Gov. Perry example to question whether that is an act of hunting as defined in Ohio. Our law clearly states that you cannot hunt with your concealed carry firearm. It seems to me there is a lot of gray in this area.

In one scenario I am out with my CHL and a concealed handgun.
In the second scenario I am out with my CHL and am open carrying.
In the third scenario I am out with a CHL and am carrying 2 handguns. One handgun is concealed while the other is open carried.

In all three scenarios I encounter a coyote and shoot at or kill it. Which one is hunting and how is that defined and determined based on the outcome of my attempt or actual harvest of the coyote?

Assume I have a hunting license and written permission to hunt the property I am on. The alternative is to assume I own the property and don't require permission for anything.

You guys do what you do and pick this apart. In my mind there is something to fix here but I may be wrong.

Proud Member of the NRA, Crossbow Nation, Buckeye Firearms Association, Ohio Freedom Alliance

So! This is how liberty dies...With thunderous applause.
Site Admin
 Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]