Forum rules

Moderator Aaron: The U.S. Sportsman's Alliance has given BFA (and me personally) permission to reproduce any of their articles here in the Great Outdoors forum or on our home page, in their entirety, as long as the original source is given credit.
 Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author
Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:51 pm
As far as I know I havn't heard of anything negative from the changes to allowing rifles for deer gun season. Has anyone heard or seen any issues ? I didn't think there would be any problems.

M&M
Post subject: Re: Rifle hunting
Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:44 pm
Haven't heard anything negative. The only info I remember seeing is something like 5,000 deer were harvested with a PCR during gun season.

Joel
NRA Certified Instructor,Member and Recruiter
Centerburg Conservation Club Trustee
CCC Range committee and Lake committee
Second Call Defense Recruiter

If you like guns, click here! https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/sign ... ID=nranews
Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:20 pm
Ohio has been hunting with rifles for many years! They are called Muzzle Loaders! Have you really looked at the modern Muzzle loader?
Post Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:00 am
Cruiser wrote:
Ohio has been hunting with rifles for many years! They are called Muzzle Loaders! Have you really looked at the modern Muzzle loader?

Good point.
I have always wondered what mental gymnastics it took to get your head wrapped around the idea that a RIFLED shotgun shooting punkin ball sized slugs ISN'T a "rifle".

(Yes, I realize that the effective range of a shotgun slug is considerably less than a lot of hunting rifle rounds.)

AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Post Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:37 am
AlanM wrote:
Cruiser wrote:

Good point.
I have always wondered what mental gymnastics it took to get your head wrapped around the idea that a RIFLED shotgun shooting punkin ball sized slugs ISN'T a "rifle".

(Yes, I realize that the effective range of a shotgun slug is considerably less than a lot of hunting rifle rounds.)

I had forgot about shotguns. But back to Muzzle loaders, Muzzle Loaders are every bit as powerful as any of the new guns on the approved list.
Post Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:04 am
Cruiser wrote:
I had forgot about shotguns. But back to Muzzle loaders, Muzzle Loaders are every bit as powerful as any of the new guns on the approved list.

The powers that be were convinced that making sure legal hunters are only able to fire maybe 3 rounds a minute would keep a poacher from dropping an entire herd of deer with 30 rounds from a semi-auto rifle.

Many years ago, in Ohio, with many "IFs" I could have done just that one morning.
IF - I hadn't been on my motorcycle.
IF - I could shoot from a public roadway.
IF - I hadn't been followed closely by a car doing 30mph.
IF - I'd had something like a 308 semi-auto with a 30 round magazine.
IF - The eight point buck hadn't been charging me at the time. :shock:

Then I could have taken out an 8 point buck and his harem of 4 doe. (FYI the plural of "doe" IS "doe".)

Location BTW: Merriman Valley (north of Akron) near the bottom of the Smith Rd. hill.

A little history of that hill. Before they started putting salt spreaders on the front of salt trucks they would BACK UP that hill. IIRC also the Bath Rd hill just north of it.

AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Last edited by AlanM on Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:30 pm
My numbers indicate youth took 378 deer with SWC rifles and 5360 more were harvested with them during the regular gun season for a total of 5738.

It's a pretty safe estimate to say that 3 to 5 times the total harvest number was the number of rifles being used. So roughly somewhere between 17,000 and 30,000. I'd say rifle hunting is a hit this first year out.

Proud Member of the NRA, Crossbow Nation, Buckeye Firearms Association, Ohio Freedom Alliance

So! This is how liberty dies...With thunderous applause.
Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:43 pm
Dan,
I agree, the number for year one are amazing and should only grow. I know many, myself included did not already have SWC rifle and didn't have the ability to rush out an buy one for this first year. Next year we should see the numbers grow because I know I am not the only one.

PS, thanks for all the time and work you put into this!

JLE

Region Leader
Post Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:13 pm
I'd expect supplies to increase/prices to decrease on the SWC rifles now that deer gun season has ended. Start shoppin'!

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:41 pm
JEaton wrote:
Dan,
I agree, the number for year one are amazing and should only grow. I know many, myself included did not already have SWC rifle and didn't have the ability to rush out an buy one for this first year. Next year we should see the numbers grow because I know I am not the only one.

JLE

Joe,
I didn't acquire a SWC rifle this year either. I hunted with my muzzle loader instead. You would think I would be a little sad or disappointed that I couldn't use the firearm we fought so hard to legalize. Not the case. When I saw the youth stats it made the whole thing worth while.

Proud Member of the NRA, Crossbow Nation, Buckeye Firearms Association, Ohio Freedom Alliance

Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:52 pm
Dan/Joe,

I am in the same group as both of you. Meant to get a SWC rifle and it didn't happen so next year I will have one. Lots of others in this same boat like you said I'm sure. If all goes as planned I'll get a 44 mag rifle that I can shoot and let my 8 year old daughter hunt with as well but with lighter loads. Definitely nice to have the option and thanks again Dan.

Joel
NRA Certified Instructor,Member and Recruiter
Centerburg Conservation Club Trustee
CCC Range committee and Lake committee
Second Call Defense Recruiter

If you like guns, click here! https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/sign ... ID=nranews
Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:22 am
I have been wanting a .357 carbine forever ... I can never find a reasonably decent priced one for private sale & I have been looking for 4 years. I am not even dead-set on a particular model --- but leaning towards the henry. I may just have to give up and pay the inflated gunbroker prices. IMHO, CAS has kept the demand for .357 lever guns up.

I just never have had much love for my 12 ga rifled bore shotgun ... and I haven't hunted with it in several years.

US NAVY VETERAN
Navy Qualified Tactical Action Officer
Navy Qualified Sharpshooter (Pistol, Rifle)
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

"Vigilia aeterna est pretium libertatis"
Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:35 pm
Buckeye Dan wrote:
JEaton wrote:
Dan,

JLE

Joe,
I didn't acquire a SWC rifle this year either. I hunted with my muzzle loader instead. You would think I would be a little sad or disappointed that I couldn't use the firearm we fought so hard to legalize. Not the case. When I saw the youth stats it made the whole thing worth while.

I always thought the youth were a great niche for the PCR, slug gun recoil is not fun for anybody of any size really....but esp for a smaller person which many youth are :-). Not only during hunting season but all the other days of the year where practice in field positions is a good habit to form.

The Speer plastic bullets in a 357 would be a nearly recoil free way to get in some off season practice.

Bill

America NO LONGER held hostage by ZERO the lying dictator.......:-)

Ohio, a government of the unions, by the unions, for the unions
Post Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:01 pm
My dilemma is that the rifle I want does not exist. If the specific list of cartridges gets dropped and replaced by the pistol criteria then my options will change again with a rifle that does not exist.

So for now, I am like a squirrel in the roadway not knowing what to do. Either build will be expensive and I have other more pressing purchases to save for.

Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:19 am
Dan,

Has there been any discussion about streamlining the PCR list so that it does NOT state cartridges by name only. As in changing the criteria to ANY straight-walled cartridges or a bottleneck cartridge under a certain length? If not, do you anticipate we will have to wait a decade or more to clean this up?

In all honesty I want a .450 Bushmaster or .458 SOCOM. I would prefer the later, but do to the bottleneck restriction it's not happening. The thing that really bugs me is that I can use the .450 Bushy in a TC Encore pistol with a 16" barrel, but can't in any rifle platform. It defies logic. I know ODNR's decision was totally political not wanting the AR platform in the woods. I hope the next time this issue is pushed it is done through the legislature and not ODNR.
 Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next