Forum rules

Moderator Aaron: The U.S. Sportsman's Alliance has given BFA (and me personally) permission to reproduce any of their articles here in the Great Outdoors forum or on our home page, in their entirety, as long as the original source is given credit.
 Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: Indiana Considers High Powered Rifles
Post Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:19 pm

State Ponders Use of High-Powered Rifles for Indiana Deer Hunters

Wide Open Spaces
By Johnny Certo
Dec 24, 2014

Should Indiana deer hunters be able to use high-powered rifles during their firearms deer season?

Wildlife officials in the Hoosier State are currently considering a proposal that would allow the use of high-powered rifles for Indiana deer hunters.
The issue has caused the Indiana deer hunting community to become polarized, pushing many to express their opposing feelings about the safety and decency of the proposal.

Those opposed feel firing rifles with greater distance capabilities would comprise safety for other hunters on Indiana’s relatively flat terrain. Also, this would make Indiana deer hunters far more effective, resulting in the eventual harm to the deer population.

Doug Allman, a spokesman for the Indiana Deer Hunters Association, told reporters he feels the proposal will threaten efforts to expand deer hunting areas into suburban regions, where the populations are large. Many opposed to the expansion of hunting areas cited long-range rifles as a safety risk, and the proposed use of more efficient rifles would likely make the expansion efforts more difficult to pass.

Advocates argue high-powered rifles are just as safe as the firearms currently permissible. In regards to the deer population, they feel the bag limits would keep deer at a healthy population.

Matt Underwood, a regional director and volunteer recruiter for the National Wild Turkey Foundation, says the proposal would allow better firearms in deer hunts, more specifically, weapons with less kick.

Many hunters note Indiana state officials have been allowing increasingly more effective firearms to be used during the state’s firearm deer seasons throughout the years.

Currently, Indiana deer hunters can use smaller caliber rifles with specific kinds of pistol bullets, shotgun firing slugs and muzzleloading rifles.
Last edited by jcsabolt2 on Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post subject: Re: Indiana Considers High Powered Rifles
Post Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:27 pm
Why do I keep getting logged out automatically by BFA after only 15 seconds or so. Making me angry!
Post Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:43 pm
Should Indiana deer hunters be allowed to use high-powered rifles?
Indianapolis Star
Ryan Sabalow, [email protected]
Dec 17, 2014

State wildlife regulators are weighing a proposal that would allow the use of high-powered rifles to hunt deer in Indiana. It's created a deep rift among the state's nearly 266,500 deer hunters.

On one side, a group of hunters is passionately opposed to using guns that can fire a bullet over longer distances. They say it would give hunters an unfair advantage over their prey and lead to more deer getting killed, harming deer populations over the long run. They also cite safety concerns if hunters are allowed to fire bullets over hundreds of yards across Indiana's largely flat terrain.

Doug Allman, a spokesman for the Indiana Deer Hunters Association, said the would-be rule change also poses a threat to ongoing efforts to expand hunting into suburban areas where deer can become overpopulated. Allman said neighbors and municipal officials often cite concerns about the dangers posed by long-range firearms when discussing hunting in urban areas.

"I would never sit on a committee and look the public in the eye and say that's not true," Allman said.

Proponents of the rule change say that allowing high-powered rifles would be just as safe as the weapons currently allowed and would give hunters more tools to choose from. They contend that the state's bag limits on deer would prevent the population from declining.

Matt Underwood, a 25-year-old hunter from Henryville, said Indiana's current rules force many hunters into using shoulder-slamming shotgun slugs. The proposal would allow for the use of smaller rifle rounds that provide substantially less kick.

"I think that by opening up these different cartridges, it's going to provide cheaper opportunities to get these nice, reliable deer rounds ... which would help get your younger folks and women involved in the sport," said Underwood, who works for the National Wild Turkey Federation as a regional director and volunteer recruiter.

His hunting association hasn't taken an official position on the proposed rule change.

Underwood and other hunters note that that over the years, Indiana wildlife officials have increasingly allowed the use of more sophisticated technology and a wider range of firearms for deer hunting.

Currently, during the state's firearms deer seasons, smaller-caliber rifles firing certain types of pistol ammunition, shotguns firing slugs, and muzzle-loading rifles can be used.

Proponents of the rule change say many of the guns now allowed can shoot distances comparable to some of the smaller, high-powered rifle rounds that are currently banned in Indiana for deer hunting.

But opponents counter that it would open the door for hunters to use the largest rifle calibers, which can be deadly at a mile or more.

The rule change would allow for any rifle firing a .243-caliber round or larger.

The state's Natural Resources Commission is soliciting comments on the proposal. If approved, the new rules could take effect as early as next deer firearms season, which typically begin in mid-November.

The Department of Natural Resources, whose conservation officers enforce hunting laws set by the commission, hasn't taken a position on the matter, said spokesman Phil Bloom.

Bloom said that while the DNR has been slammed by some hunters for pushing this forward, his agency hasn't done that. Instead, he said the commission is responding to hunter petitions.

Over the years, Hoosier deer hunters have progressively been allowed to use more types of hunting equipment, as deer seasons expanded and hunters were allowed to shoot more deer during the seasons as white-tailed deer populations expanded.

Due to over hunting and habitat loss, deer were exterminated in Indiana by the turn of the last century. The state began restocking them in 1934. Indiana's first modern deer season began in 1951 and ran for just three days that November in 17 southern counties. The only weapons legal to use then were shotguns firing rifled slugs or bows and arrows.

Muzzle-loading rifles, handguns, crossbows and rifles using some types of pistol cartridges have been added in recent years. In 2012, hunters shot a record 136,248 deer over the course of archery, firearms and muzzle-loading hunting seasons that stretched from October to January.

Some other Midwestern states, including Missouri, Wisconsin and Kentucky, already allow the use of high-powered rifles.

But other states, including Ohio and Illinois, have firearms restrictions similar to Indiana's.

To read more about the proposal, visit

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/2362.htm
Post Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:53 am
The crazy thing about those cartridges they show "banned" in rifles, many are legal in handguns in IN.

American held hostage by ZERO the lying dictator.......for an indefinite period of time going forward..........

Ohio, a government of the unions, by the unions, for the unions
Post Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:23 pm
Willbird,

Not much different than OH either. The .450 Bushmaster is illegal to use in a rifle, but I can use it, .458 Winchester, .458 Lott, and numerous others in a handgun that even has the same or longer barrel length than a rifle.

Personally, I'd love to the .300 ACC Blackout with a suppressor. My suppressors should be in shortly and could easily suppress anything up to and including a .44 Mag.
Post Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:06 pm
Should High Powered Rifles be legal in Indiana? ABSOLUTELY! High Powered rifles can be used to hunt Coyotes in Indiana so why not deer. Other states allow high powered rifles and there hasn't been any problems.
Post Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:33 pm
stoll25390 wrote:
Should High Powered Rifles be legal in Indiana? ABSOLUTELY! High Powered rifles can be used to hunt Coyotes in Indiana so why not deer. Other states allow high powered rifles and there hasn't been any problems.

So called "high powered rifles" are legal to hunt SQUIRRELS and woodchucks in Ohio, but not Deer :-) during Deer season, they are also legal to hunt Deer with crop damage permits.

Bill

American held hostage by ZERO the lying dictator.......for an indefinite period of time going forward..........

Ohio, a government of the unions, by the unions, for the unions
Post subject: Re: Indiana Considers High Powered Rifles (Updated 5/22/2015
Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2015 2:12 pm
Looks like it didn't happen. Curious as to why.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/2362.htm

THE NATURAL RESOURCES COMMISSION DID NOT APPROVE THE CHANGES TO THE RIFLE PROPOSAL OR THE SUNFISH BAG LIMIT.

The Natural Resources Commission did not approve the proposed change to the rifle cartridges for deer hunting, the aggregate statewide bag limit for sunfish (such as bluegill), or the elimination of getting written permission to take coyotes from the landowners. So – the rifle cartridges allowed during the deer firearms seasons will remain the same as they are currently, with the exception of not allowing full metal jacketed bullets.
Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2015 5:41 pm
I hunt in Western PA (WMU 2-D) with a Remington 700 SPS-AAC in .300 Blackout with a Yankee Hill suppressor. It isn't "silent", although allows me to hunt with my son in my deer stand without blasting his (or my) eardrums out.

While Ohio will allow suppressors for hunting, if you hunt big game (deer), you're going to be limited to a pistol as none of the cartridges that ODNR have approved are suitable for a suppressor.

Uncle Duke

NRA Life Member
2nd Amendment Foundation Member
GOAL Member
Range Safety Officer
NRA Pistol,Home Firearm Safety,Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home Instructor, Certified UT, MD, MA Handgun & LEOSA Instructor
Post Posted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:08 pm
Uncle Duke wrote:
...you're going to be limited to a pistol as none of the cartridges that ODNR have approved are suitable for a suppressor.

Uncle Duke

Not true. Bowers VERS 458 (.458 SOCOM & .460 projectiles) and 50 (Full Power, .50 Beowulf, .50 Alaskan, .458 SOCOM, .50 AE, 45-70 Govt, .510 Beowulf) suppressors are for large bores. Also, Silencerco is testing their .45 caliber suppressors for certain rifle calibers such as the .450 Bushmaster. Granted the Bushmaster is NOT legal in OH in a rifle, but OK in a handgun. Makes sense to me! :roll:

The real question is would they work on a muzzleloader. :mrgreen:
Post Posted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:31 pm
Lets start with this: how many of these calibers are approved by ODNR for use in a rifle? Just one, .45-70. If you want to fit a suppressor to the rifle, you're going to have to do some modification and probably use an adaptor or coupling of some sort.

What pistols are chambered in .458 SOCOM, .50 Beowulf, .50 Alaskan, .45-70 Govt., or .510 Beowulf?
I don't know of any.

They might work, although I wouldn't recommend a suppressor on a muzzleloader for any number of reasons.

NRA Life Member
2nd Amendment Foundation Member
GOAL Member
Range Safety Officer
NRA Pistol,Home Firearm Safety,Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home Instructor, Certified UT, MD, MA Handgun & LEOSA Instructor
Post Posted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:38 pm
Uncle Duke wrote:
What pistols are chambered in .458 SOCOM, .50 Beowulf, .50 Alaskan, .45-70 Govt., or .510 Beowulf?
I don't know of any.

I can't speak to the others, but a good friend of mine has a TC Contender pistol in .45-70 - it is certainly a hoot to shoot.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Sun May 31, 2015 4:51 pm
Uncle Duke wrote:
I don't know of any.

The .458 SOCOM and .50 Beowulf are both available in AR 15 uppers, which means they can be made into pistols. Funny thing too is you can legally use a full capacity magazine while hunting with them. .45-70 is available as a single shot pistol.
 Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]