Forum rules

Moderator Aaron: The U.S. Sportsman's Alliance has given BFA (and me personally) permission to reproduce any of their articles here in the Great Outdoors forum or on our home page, in their entirety, as long as the original source is given credit.
 Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: Rifles for Small Game without Restrictions ODNR 2014-15
Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:40 pm
On page 21 of the ODNR 2014-15 Hunting Regulations you can pick up at any Walmart it states for (small game animals) squirrel, ruffed grouse, cottontail rabbit, ring-necked pheasant, chukar, bobwhite quail, fox, raccoon, skunk, opossum, weasel, crow, coyote, feral swine (wild boar), and groundhog that you can use a bow, crossbow, ANY CALIBER handgun, ANY CALIBER RIFLE, or shotgun smaller than 10ga. :mrgreen:

I'm no lawyer, but this means I can use any rifle from a .17 Bee to a 20mm and anything in between like a 5.56 NATO, 30-30, 7mm Rem, .375 H&H, etc. to take any small game, but I can't for deer? :roll: I don't know why I never noticed this before, but it just adds more fuel to the debate about using rifles to hunt deer in OH.

I'm quite aware that straight-walled cartridges, though NOT all, can be used to take deer, but this whole thing still makes no logical sense to me. I thank BFA for their efforts, I just thought the information I found to be quite humorous given what has transpired over the past several years.
Post subject: Re: Rifles for Small Game without Restrictions ODNR 2014-15
Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:00 pm
Are you REALLY expecting government regulations to make sense?

AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:13 pm
By no means do I expect them to make sense. Just take the Air Force's regulations for obstructions as a prime example. Any structure (building) on the airfield in the primary surface needs to be frangible. Meaning, you hit it, it falls apart. Now consider what some of these "structures" house things like generators, arresting systems, transformers, etc. all bolted or embedded in a concrete slab. Basically, the shell will fall apart, but the contents aren't going anywhere. I fought with the higher ups over this fact for a year and it still hasn't sunk in to them. The funny thing is, the Army exempts things like this as long as they are required to be on the airfield.
Post Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:12 am
Totally off topic but you just reminded me of a weird design feature of a power plant near the shore of Lake Erie west of Cleveland.
All the generators and other large rotating equipment are placed with their axis aligned on an east-west line and all rotate clockwise as seen from the east end.
Why? So if for some reason if they are catastrophically released from their housings they will promptly roll into the lake rather than head inland.

AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Post Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:17 pm
For what it's worth I've used the fact that hunting those non-deer critters with any caliber is legal to my advantage a time or three in Ohio. Was going to verify the scope zero on my .30-06 after making a slight change to the hand load used. Had no more than got parked on the property when what do I see about 100 yards down hill from me but a decent sized coyote? So I grabbed the gun that was at hand and found out the zero hadn't really changed. That coyote did a couple of flips before dying, over kill is better with a varmint than leaving it to crawl off wounded.

Did more or less the same thing with a ground hog that popped up when I happened to fiddling with a .308 rifle while visiting a friend's farm.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:43 am
jcsabolt2,
The idea of multiple hundreds of thousands of deer hunters all using rifles in the woods at the same time scares people.

Proud Member of the NRA, Crossbow Nation, Buckeye Firearms Association, Ohio Freedom Alliance

So! This is how liberty dies...With thunderous applause.
Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:58 pm
Buckeye Dan wrote:
jcsabolt2,
The idea of multiple hundreds of thousands of deer hunters all using rifles in the woods at the same time scares people.

As well it should. But there again someone using a .300 Win Mag with a hand loaded
130 grain SP bullet pushed to the max trying to bust a whistle pig at 300 plus yards
without thinking about where that round is going, should scare just as many people,
but more especially, those of us that care and use good safety and common sense.

BTW It was one Helluva shot, and yes some farmer has a copper and lead deposit
in his pasture now!

Point is ---------------------------------?

Safety first

So Mote It Be.
Aging is not for the timid
NRA Benefactor Member
Post Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:28 pm
As Buckeye Dan stated...the primary reason is there is no way near the concentration of hunters in the field during ANY of our small game seasons on any given day. Considering we typically have somewhere between 500-650k hunters in the field at the same time on opening day of gun season, the potential is much higher for an accident.

Never going to see those concentrations of hunters in the field on opening day of squirrel season for instance. Chance of undesirable incident is significantly lower. It's all a game of percentages and statistics.

Hence it is, that democracies have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have, in general, been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths

James Madison,,
Federalist Paper No 10
Site Admin
 Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]