Forum rules

Moderator Aaron: The U.S. Sportsman's Alliance has given BFA (and me personally) permission to reproduce any of their articles here in the Great Outdoors forum or on our home page, in their entirety, as long as the original source is given credit.
 Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: CC or OPEN carry while Hunting without paid permission slip
Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:15 am
When ever I can for years,I have been advocating to the Ohio DNR to "allow" hunters to carry concealed or open carry / EXERCISE OUR 2ND AMENDMENT RIGHTS while hunting, especially bow season for self defense without a "paid permission slip"...But has been falling on deaf ears....

Here's another example why I think this an important issue and is ridiculous not to "allow" it in the woods all places...Thought you might find this interesting an wondered what you thought .Again, my home state of W.Va. passed this a few years ago and there isn't anymore issues than before....Here's the story I just got to address the right to defend your life in the woods that many do not even think about...Thank you for your time..

http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2017/01/ ... y-poacher/

I carry a firearm because a cop is too heavy and takes too many breaks.

Montani Semper Liberi - (Mountaineers Are Always Free)
Post subject: Re: CC or OPEN carry while Hunting without paid permission s
Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:07 am
WVRiflemannOH:

I hope somebody else pops in with details, but AFAIK, that was somewhat modified some time back.

I remember sitting in class in 2004 when an ODNR Officer addressed us. There was quite a buzz about CC in the woods being forbidden. I didn't know the guy, but he came well recommended by the folks putting on the class, and about half the attendees.

I'm not a hunter - a bit of a "buy it at the supermarket so no animals get hurt" type, actually, but I have no problem with "table" hunting or "management". We've got some silly rules here, too, but as long as the deer aren't hunting the hunters....

I can't speak about the legality at the time, but a buddy of mine put a .44Mag revolver in a shoulder rig, and parked himself in a tree stand one afternoon. He dozed off for a while, and when he woke up, there was a huge buck right out in front of him. He couldn't get the gun out of the holster! Someday I'll stop harassing him about that :D....

We have a bit of silliness over straight walled cartridges, caliber, and barrel length, and about "carrying" your "defensive" weapons v.s. your hunting guns, but I think you can hunt safely within those rules.

Anybody?

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:55 am
SMMAssociates wrote:
I hope somebody else pops in with details, but AFAIK, that was somewhat modified some time back.

I don't know when it might have changed but the ODNR rules are pretty clear that if you have your concealed handgun license you can carry your concealed handgun while hunting as long as you do not use it for hunting.

From http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/hunting-tra ... egulations

Quote:
Deer Hunter CANs and CANNOTs

A deer hunter CAN do the following:

A person possessing a valid concealed handgun license may carry their concealed handgun while hunting, but it may not be used to shoot, shoot at, or kill any wild animal. For more information go to ohioattorneygeneral.gov.

What is a bit vague is whether or not that applies to open carry. I've seen it argued both ways, and cannot find a definitive answer.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:15 am
Concealed carry is legal while hunting.

What bugs me, and I've brought it up multiple times in meetings with the Chief and Law Director, is the fact that you cannot "conceal" your hunting firearm. I regularly hunt with one of two pistols, and it is technically illegal for me to put my uncle mikes shoulder holster on under my coat. I have to hike my outer shell up above my belt so I can attach it securely, or leave the ends unsecured and let the holster flop.

So, even tho I am hunting with a handgun, I have to carry a SECOND handgun for protection. Because the "hunting" firearm cannot be loaded until half hr before sunrise, then must be unloaded again at half hr after sunset...

Hence it is, that democracies have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have, in general, been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths

James Madison,,
Federalist Paper No 10
Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:53 am
Appreciate y'all responses...Just tired of the OHDNR treating the hunters like children and have a laundry list why we can not do this and that for our "safety". We are not safe with their rules and regulations, this story just proves that.

I was attacked a by a feral dog years ago while sitting my deer blind. Thankfully. his teeth sank into my boot heel and I was able to hit him in the head with my bow to get him off of me and went away..Which, leads me to another story of shooting feral dogs on my property, but I digress.

There was another story a few years ago where a couple of guys ambushed some bow hunters south of Cambridge OH and these guys had no chance of fighting back with their bow,especially, with a crossbow.In real life, we don't have a man cranking the bow back in waiting like Darrell in "The Walking Dead".... :egrin:

We need to take our rights back, clear up these ridiculous rules and regulations and stop looking over our shoulders because we want to protect ourselves in the woods or anywhere as far as that goes. We are afraid that we may lose or rights, privileges and guns while, the criminals do what they want with no care in the world...Not to mention wildlife, like threats from rabid coyotes or even Foxes..

In some areas now, Black Bears are an issue now in Ohio.I grew with back bears, you do not want to get in between them and their cubs, FYI. :lol:

As a kid growing up in the Hills and Mt's of WV my cousin and I were chased out of the holler by a rabid Fox and my dad shot it with the 12ga he carried on the tractor..It can happen.

To me, this is a natural thing we should be able to do without a "paid Permission slip"..Thank you for your time guys...

I carry a firearm because a cop is too heavy and takes too many breaks.

Montani Semper Liberi - (Mountaineers Are Always Free)
Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:40 pm
Glad to have your input and participation here WVRiflemannOH... you should like the new post I am about to put up!!

Hence it is, that democracies have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have, in general, been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths

James Madison,,
Federalist Paper No 10
Site Admin
 Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]