Forum rules

Moderator Aaron: The U.S. Sportsman's Alliance has given BFA (and me personally) permission to reproduce any of their articles here in the Great Outdoors forum or on our home page, in their entirety, as long as the original source is given credit.
 Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: Proposed change to Ohio deer hunting regulations...WOOHOO!!
Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:48 pm
1501:31-15-11 Deer Regulations

It is proposed that this rule be amended to reflect that any straight-walled cartridge rifle, with a minimum caliber of .357 to a maximum of .50 be allowed for hunting deer in Ohio. There have been three seasons of hunting deer with straight-walled cartridge rifles in Ohio and we have had no biological impacts to the herd or additional hunter incidents as a result. By defining the allowable rifles in the proposed manner it makes the rules easily understood and easily enforced; in addition it is inclusive of a great number of options for rifles.

It's not official yet, but this is the proposal made by Ken Fitz at the Wildlife Counsel meeting.

From the first ineffective efforts to organize and motivate sportsman around the state in attending the Open House meetings, and flood the suggestion baskets with requests to allow "pistol caliber carbine's" (we hadn't transitioned to SWC yet) to now has been nearly 10yrs. We had some help from a lot of folks...we had opposition from quite a few as well. It's been a long road, but we have a great common sense change to our deer hunting regulations on the horizon for next season!

Hence it is, that democracies have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have, in general, been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths

James Madison,,
Federalist Paper No 10
Site Admin
Post subject: Re: Proposed change to Ohio deer hunting regulations...WOOHO
Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:20 am
What is the change here? I'm not dumb about firearms but the wording here doesn't seem like anything was added.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:37 pm
Brian, It took us almost 8 yrs to make "straight walled cartridge" rifles legal to hunt with in Ohio. For the past 3yrs we've had a VERY narrow list of "approved cartridges". Now, the list goes away, and any cartridge legal in a handgun... will be legal in a rifle.

Hence it is, that democracies have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have, in general, been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths

James Madison,,
Federalist Paper No 10
Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:34 pm
Thanks. I just now read the write up on BFA's main site. Between that and you I got it "straight" now. :wink: To be honest I felt the state did a decent job with the original list of approved cartridges. But as you know there's always at least "one more" that only a few gun folks would ever think of.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
 Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]