Forum rules

Moderator Aaron: The U.S. Sportsman's Alliance has given BFA (and me personally) permission to reproduce any of their articles here in the Great Outdoors forum or on our home page, in their entirety, as long as the original source is given credit.
 Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
Author
Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:14 am
Took my 10 yr old daughter out on Saturday for the first day of the youth hunt. She has wanted to hunt for two years but I told her she had to wait till she was ten.

She smoked a spike buck from a little over 70 yds using a .50 in-line with a scope. Put it right in the boiler room, it was standing at the slightest angle...she took out both lungs and the liver. It only ran about 65 yds and piled up. Had her track it, and she was so excited when she found it! That was when I learned it was a spike :roll: ...not that I would have kept her from shooting her first deer!

I think it's more fun taking my kids out than it is hunting myself... :D

Hence it is, that democracies have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have, in general, been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths

James Madison,,
Federalist Paper No 10
Site Admin
Post subject:
Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:43 am
I can't wait to take my son on his first deer hunt. He will have a few years, he is only five years old. I'm sure I will be more excited than he will ever be to see him tag that deer. (hopefully he will want to do the hunting thing) CONGRATS!!
Post subject:
Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:42 am
Pictures, please! MS-Paint diagram optional :lol:

Dirtdawg

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer and Instructor; Basic Pistol, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection in the Home
Clinton County Farmers and Sportsmen's Association President
Post subject:
Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:46 pm
excellent man... congrats. did she help field dress? i have a 5 year old and he wants to hunt too... any hints or suggestions on how to prep him?

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
Post subject:
Post Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:31 pm
Here it is...she held a leg while I did the deed.

Hence it is, that democracies have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have, in general, been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths

James Madison,,
Federalist Paper No 10
Site Admin
Post subject:
Post Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:10 am
EXCELLENT!

Dirtdawg

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer and Instructor; Basic Pistol, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection in the Home
Clinton County Farmers and Sportsmen's Association President
Post subject:
Post Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:12 pm
Cool Beans!

Roy
Post subject:
Post Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:06 am
Aaron, Larry Moore said to post your daughter's first deer picture to ODNR's website.

2009 NRA "Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award" recipient
Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
Buckeye Firearms Association's Vice President
NRA Benefactor Member, NRA Certified Instructor, NRA-EVC, Realtor
Region Leader
Post subject:
Post Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:29 am
OK Linda...I'll do that.

James Madison,,
Federalist Paper No 10
Site Admin
Post subject: Son's first time
Post Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:33 pm
I'll never forget the first time I took my son deer hunting. We drove about 30 miles on a snowy day and set up in a field behind the small telephone building where I occasionly worked and watch deer walk by. We settled into position and after about 15 minutes, I looked over and he was shivering. He was about 10 years old. I thought I had dressed him appropriately. I said" Come on son, let's go". He didn't argue. That's still a great memory for me to this day.
Post subject:
Post Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:21 pm
Super fantistic.
Charlie....

Prould member: NRA,GOA,BFA,OFCC,USSA,NTA,OSTA,GPAA,NRAPVF,UKC,AHC,PKC,USCCA
Post subject:
Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:57 pm
We went out the night before to Kroger and picked out her Jerky, crackers, hot chocolate mix, etc...

That morning, I filled my thurmos...then ran water through the coffe maker so she could fill her thurmos with hot co-co :wink:

Got to the stand around 8 am (killed me to go that late) and I ended up using my hunting coat as a blanket for the two of us.

We made it till 10:30 when she finally said "I'm freezing dad, can we go home" to which I said "YUP, let me finish this mug of coffe so I'm not spilling it trying to climb down out of the stand honey...you did good".

I looked over my shoulder after saying that and there were the deer coming through the woods :D

James Madison,,
Federalist Paper No 10
Site Admin
 Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]