Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
Author
Post Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:29 pm
[size=150]A student that had let his license expire for 9 months took the class over again.
When he went to Stark county he was told that he didn't need to retake the class and that he could renew for up to a year after the expiration and could have carried during the 30 days following the expiration. I have had other Sheriff's office insist on retaking the class after that lengthy of a time period and declaring that you cannot carry during the 30 days of grace. Which is correct?
[/size]
Post subject: Re: expiration dates
Post Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:28 pm
Once you have a license, it can be expired ANY amount of time and one DOES NOT need to retake the class.

Here's the grace period first...

Quote:
2923.126 Duties of licensed individual.
(A) A concealed handgun license that is issued under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code shall expire five years after the date of issuance. A licensee who has been issued a license under that section shall be granted a grace period of thirty days after the licensee's license expires during which the licensee's license remains valid. Except as provided in divisions (B) and (C) of this section, a licensee who has been issued a concealed handgun license under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code may carry a concealed handgun anywhere in this state if the licensee also carries a valid license and valid identification when the licensee is in actual possession of a concealed handgun. The licensee shall give notice of any change in the licensee's residence address to the sheriff who issued the license within forty-five days after that change.

I personally dislike that but that's just me. Expired means expired. Why not just make it good for 5 years and 30 days and put that day on the license? I personally see that as just confusion and something that could be a hassle on the side of the road. There's no grace period on a driver's license. There's no grace period on license plates. There's no grace period on a passport. Why have a grace period here?

As for renewal...

Quote:
2923.125 Application and licensing process.
(F)(1) A licensee who wishes to renew a concealed handgun license issued under this section shall do so not earlier than ninety days before the expiration date of the license or at any time after the expiration date of the license by filing with the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides or with the sheriff of an adjacent county an application for renewal of the license obtained pursuant to division (D) of this section, a certification by the applicant that, subsequent to the issuance of the license, the applicant has reread the pamphlet prepared by the Ohio peace officer training commission pursuant to section 109.731 of the Revised Code that reviews firearms, dispute resolution, and use of deadly force matters, and a nonrefundable license renewal fee in an amount determined pursuant to division (F)(4) of this section unless the fee is waived.

(2) A sheriff shall accept a completed renewal application, the license renewal fee, and the information specified in division (F)(1) of this section at the times and in the manners described in division (I) of this section. Upon receipt of a completed renewal application, of certification that the applicant has reread the specified pamphlet prepared by the Ohio peace officer training commission, and of a license renewal fee unless the fee is waived, a sheriff, in the manner specified in section 311.41 of the Revised Code shall conduct or cause to be conducted the criminal records check and the incompetency records check described in section 311.41 of the Revised Code. The sheriff shall renew the license if the sheriff determines that the applicant continues to satisfy the requirements described in division (D)(1) of this section, except that the applicant is not required to meet the requirements of division (D)(1)(l) of this section. A renewed license shall expire five years after the date of issuance. A renewed license is subject to division (E) of this section and sections 2923.126 and 2923.128 of the Revised Code. A sheriff shall comply with divisions (D)(2) to (4) of this section when the circumstances described in those divisions apply to a requested license renewal. If a sheriff denies the renewal of a concealed handgun license, the applicant may appeal the denial, or challenge the criminal record check results that were the basis of the denial if applicable, in the same manner as specified in division (D)(2)(b) of this section and in section 2923.127 of the Revised Code, regarding the denial of a license under this section.

(3) A renewal application submitted pursuant to division (F) of this section shall only require the licensee to list on the application form information and matters occurring since the date of the licensee's last application for a license pursuant to division (B) or (F) of this section. A sheriff conducting the criminal records check and the incompetency records check described in section 311.41 of the Revised Code shall conduct the check only from the date of the licensee's last application for a license pursuant to division (B) or (F) of this section through the date of the renewal application submitted pursuant to division (F) of this section.

(4) An applicant for a renewal concealed handgun license under this section shall submit to the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides or to the sheriff of any county adjacent to the county in which the applicant resides a nonrefundable license fee as described in either of the following:

There's no time period mentioned and no need to retake a class. Once one has a license, they can renew it anytime after 90 days before their current license expires and the process is exactly the same.
Post Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:55 pm
The grace period is probably to deal with delays in processing or something..
I know when I renewed I did so about a month before It expired.. the new date of course is from the date of the new license.

Unlike my first license which took just somewhere around 40 days I think.. the renewal took like 3 days.. so effectively I've lost nearly a month.

I don't know about pass ports.. but it's not like a drivers license where you can go and renew it in like an hour.

• If you can't hit the broad side of a barn, You're not using enough bullets.
  • Zombies are the Trash-men of Humanity.
  • Certified Ammosexual, lolzImage
Post Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:41 pm
Joe Sixpack wrote:
The grace period is probably to deal with delays in processing or something..
I know when I renewed I did so about a month before It expired.. the new date of course is from the date of the new license.

Unlike my first license which took just somewhere around 40 days I think.. the renewal took like 3 days.. so effectively I've lost nearly a month.

I don't know about pass ports.. but it's not like a drivers license where you can go and renew it in like an hour.

If you go with your first logic then that doesn't flow either. You get a 30 day grace period yet they have 45 days to process a license. So you have to apply at least 15 days prior to your license before it expires to not have any gaps.

Well, some sheriff's offices can do it in a day. I've even heard some do it the same day. There's really no reason for it to take more than a few days unless something comes up in a background check. Then obviously they may have to pull more records.

The grace period is also what is going to kick us in the rear if we ever get a NICS check added to the application process. For a CHL to be used to purchase a firearm from an FFL your license with NICS check must be valid no longer than five years. Legally, ours is valid five years and thirty days.

For those that say you lost some time, whoopty doo. $67 for 60 months? That's a little over a dollar a month. That's pocket change over the term of 5 years. Over ten licenses (50 years) applying two months early is an extra $25. Sure, that's an extra $25 going to the government, but what is the alternative? Five years from expiration of former license? Then it again would never be used for a NICS check if that is ever added to the Ohio application process.
Post Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:18 am
JediSkipdogg wrote:
If you go with your first logic then that doesn't flow either. You get a 30 day grace period yet they have 45 days to process a license. So you have to apply at least 15 days prior to your license before it expires to not have any gaps.

Yes that's true.. it' still my opinion thats why there is a grace period.

JediSkipdogg wrote:
Well, some sheriff's offices can do it in a day. I've even heard some do it the same day. There's really no reason for it to take more than a few days unless something comes up in a background check. Then obviously they may have to pull more records.
I have a clean record and have lived in Ohio my entire life.
Whether there be any excuse or not it took about 40 days when I first got my license.

I live in Franklin, so that means I gotta go downtown Columbus to get mine.
I'd Imagine rural departments can get it done faster cause they probably have a smaller work load.

When I went for my renewal they had 4 of us scheduled for the same time.. which surprise surprise was actually 30misn before the office even opened, on that was nice of them.
They did open a tad early but we still waited outside a good 20mins.
JediSkipdogg wrote:
The grace period is also what is going to kick us in the rear if we ever get a NICS check added to the application process. For a CHL to be used to purchase a firearm from an FFL your license with NICS check must be valid no longer than five years. Legally, ours is valid five years and thirty days.

Whoopty doo, I personally don't care if a CHL ever expedites a buy from a FFL, NICS has always been fairly fast for me.

JediSkipdogg wrote:
For those that say you lost some time, whoopty doo. $67 for 60 months? That's a little over a dollar a month. That's pocket change over the term of 5 years. Over ten licenses (50 years) applying two months early is an extra $25. Sure, that's an extra $25 going to the government, but what is the alternative? Five years from expiration of former license? Then it again would never be used for a NICS check if that is ever added to the Ohio application process.

I certainly care.
They shouldn't be getting anything.

• If you can't hit the broad side of a barn, You're not using enough bullets.
  • Zombies are the Trash-men of Humanity.
  • Certified Ammosexual, lolzImage
Post Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:38 am
your darn right,sixpack......their charging a fee to exercise a right!!!

3FULLMAGS+1
They say the best "Home Remedy" for Tyranny is... LEAD POISONING!
Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:00 pm
My first license said that it expired "2/29/13". As that date never comes up under our current calendar I referred to it as a perpetual license.
 Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]