Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: Getting a little mad at Clermont County..
Post Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:46 pm
It's where I went to get my first Ohio CHL in 2004, and my first two renewals. All of those went well, so it made sense to return there this year for renewal #3.

(Before anyone asks, I have lived at the same address all these years, making a background check pretty damned easy for the authorities. My name isn't all that common, and they have had my info, including fingerprints and SSN, for a decade and a half already!!)

I'm at 40 days now, no license has showed up in the mail yet. :evil: Good thing I went out there as early as I did. And that brings up another problem: A friend who has also used Clermont every time (his renewal took over 30 days this time!) says that by going early, they sort of back-dated the license, meaning he isn't getting the full five years we pay for.

After getting my license, going to have a visit and complain to the Clermont County Commissioners about this. The sheriff has to answer to them. Will probably also gripe to their county Auditor. If the process is done properly, issuing licenses is positive revenue stream for a sheriff's office. Dragging their feet and driving off "customers" is something the Auditor won't like too much.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post subject: Re: Getting a little mad at Clermont County..
Post Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:29 pm
Brian D. wrote:
It's where I went to get my first Ohio CHL in 2004, and my first two renewals. All of those went well, so it made sense to return there this year for renewal #3.

(Before anyone asks, I have lived at the same address all these years, making a background check pretty damned easy for the authorities. My name isn't all that common, and they have had my info, including fingerprints and SSN, for a decade and a half already!!)

I'm at 40 days now, no license has showed up in the mail yet. :evil: Good thing I went out there as early as I did. And that brings up another problem: A friend who has also used Clermont every time (his renewal took over 30 days this time!) says that by going early, they sort of back-dated the license, meaning he isn't getting the full five years we pay for.

After getting my license, going to have a visit and complain to the Clermont County Commissioners about this. The sheriff has to answer to them. Will probably also gripe to their county Auditor. If the process is done properly, issuing licenses is positive revenue stream for a sheriff's office. Dragging their feet and driving off "customers" is something the Auditor won't like too much.
The sheriff is elected. He/she answers to the people not the commissioners.

I went to Hamilton county (downtown no less). Went one early morning in November 2017 and picked-up my license the following morning. This 24 hour processing time I think needs improvement.
Post Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:51 am
I guess Clermont has gotten too popular. I went there for my initial license and first renewal. Now, Brown County has improved their accessibility and response. My renewal (and my wife's initial license) arrived in our mailbox in a week.

I know that doesn't help you any, Brian. But for Clermont residents it is an option.

Ken

aka OhioPaints
Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:39 am
My license showed up on day 42.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:28 am
Just talked to yet another friend that has always used Clermont County. Six weeks to the day, same as mine, for a renewal. And he hadn't changed addresses in those previous five years either.

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:06 pm
Warren County, handed license at the end of the appointment. I questioned how they did the background check so fast and she said since they had all my info from registering and being a renewal, they ran it by that info for a pre-approval. She says if fingerprints come back with a hit, they will they suspend the license. In their time of doing that, they've only had it happen once where they issued a license and suspended it after the fingerprints came back. She didn't go into detail on why no name hit but a fingerprint hit.
 Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]