Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 
Author
Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:47 pm
Has anyone purchased the NRA "self defense coverage"?
For $165.00 you get the cost of "civil defense" and "criminal defense" up to $100,000 ($50,000 of which is a criminal defense sub-limit." They pay you AFTER charges are dropped.
I found another interesting option with an Ohio law firm, OhioCCDS. (Ohio Concealed Carry Defense Services, LLC)
For $180.00 per year they will defend ANY charge against you relating to conceal carry.
Anyone have these coverage's?
I am leaning toward the Ohio law firm.
Post subject: Re: Conceal Carry Insurance
Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:12 pm
Sounds like the OH firm is the way to go. The NRA plan only covers your expenses if you win the case, sounds like the other will defend you regardless. Might want to have an attorney that you trust look over the plan for the "small print". Those guys would already be experts at that stuff and they're in business to make money, not spend a bunch of their resources defending someone they don't want to.

NRA Life Member
USCCA Member
Kimber Custom II Stainless / Kimber .22 Rimfire Conv
S&W M&P40c / Ruger SR9c / Ruger P95 / Ruger LCP
Ruger Super Redhawk .44 Magnum / S&W Model 64
S&W M&P15 5.56 / Marlin 336 .30-30 / Savage Model 3D .22
Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:45 pm
Caveat emptor

They're both in business to make money. Whatever insurance comp. that is backing the NRA has deep pockets. I bet the Ohio law firm doesn't have deep pockets. But, most attorneys make their money by making deals, not protecting their client's rights. Most attorneys believe that making a plea deal is a win, it is not. Why, because you loose, period.

"We will defend you to the bitter end." If I had a nickel for every time I heard that........
Post Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:27 am
so far this http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/ is the only one i've heard of.. , but i'm curious to find out more about the ones the OP listed. it's not surprising, as CCW numbers grow, that organizations like this would form as kind of a safety net.

NRA Endowment
GOA Life
SAF Life
Buckeye Firearms Assoc
Ohioans for Concealed Carry
Oregon Firearms Federation
Maryland Shall Issue
Colorado Second Amendment Assoc
Post Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:25 am
BaldEagle323 wrote:
Sounds like the OH firm is the way to go. The NRA plan only covers your expenses if you win the case, sounds like the other will defend you regardless. Might want to have an attorney that you trust look over the plan for the "small print". Those guys would already be experts at that stuff and they're in business to make money, not spend a bunch of their resources defending someone they don't want to.

The interesting thing about the Ohio law firm is that they will defend ANY charge against you related to CHL. For example, if I carry to a Bank and somehow get arrested for simply carrying the gun on the premises, this company will defend me.
Post Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:38 am
UMP wrote:
The interesting thing about the Ohio law firm is that they will defend ANY charge against you related to CHL. For example, if I carry to a Bank and somehow get arrested for simply carrying the gun on the premises, this company will defend me.

The really interesting thing about the Ohio firm is that it's a one-man practice... yet he's proposing to offer essentially no-limit services to anyone who signs up.

Hmm.

Has anyone seen the actual contract for services? It doesn't appear to be available for download.

--
James Beatty
Post Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:17 pm
I would be suspicious about any of those.

Joel
NRA Certified Instructor,Member and Recruiter
Centerburg Conservation Club Trustee
CCC Range committee and Lake committee
Second Call Defense Recruiter

If you like guns, click here! https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/sign ... ID=nranews
Post Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:30 pm
Ohio Concealed Carry Defense Services, LLC claims they will defend you against any charge relating to concealed carry. I find this claim highly suspicious. "Defending you" may mean nothing more than having a sit down in your jail cell after you've been arrested.

Besides that, few, very few attorneys in Ohio are experienced in defending an innocent person exercising their rights to self-defense using lethal force. These people are not criminal defense attorneys. After all, what do criminal defense attorneys do? They defend criminals.

The only peson I know of who is skilled enough to defend an innocent person is our own Ken Hanson. I don't know if he does referrals to other attorneys whom he feels are competent in this area.

Greg in Hinckley

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves". - Edward R. Murrow
Post Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:54 pm
jabeatty wrote:
UMP wrote:

The really interesting thing about the Ohio firm is that it's a one-man practice... yet he's proposing to offer essentially no-limit services to anyone who signs up.

Hmm.

Has anyone seen the actual contract for services? It doesn't appear to be available for download.

Yes,
I have the contract. The name was given to me by my conceal carry instructor (who also carries this coverage himself). The firm also gives out weekly news letters to better inform members on CHL laws. I guess "the firm" sees an opportunity. I think it's a bit like Hagerty Insurance. They (Hargerty) insure high dollar collector cars for next to nothing. I remember insuring my 1967 Corvette 427\435 horse car for $300.oo per year for full coverage. (MAN I WISH I HAD NOT SOLD THAT CAR :lol: The point being, people are VERY careful with their collector cars, as I will be VERY careful not to use lethal force unless ABSOLUTELY necessary, while generally also avoiding spotty areas or situations when possible.
Just for your information, a SMALL portion of the contract reads:

Delivery of Service: By signing this Agreement, you are consenting to allow OhioCCDS to dispatch an attorney licensed in the State of Ohio to provide legal representation services, which includes initial contact, criminal and civil investigations, and trial of the Concealed Carry weapon related or use-of-force incident.

Anyway,
The email address is [email protected]

They will email you back a contract if interested.

BTW: I have no connection nor any interests in this firm, whatsoever.
Post Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:25 pm
UMP wrote:
Has anyone purchased the NRA "self defense coverage"?
For $165.00 you get the cost of "civil defense" and "criminal defense" up to $100,000 ($50,000 of which is a criminal defense sub-limit." They pay you AFTER charges are dropped.
I found another interesting option with an Ohio law firm, OhioCCDS. (Ohio Concealed Carry Defense Services, LLC)
For $180.00 per year they will defend ANY charge against you relating to conceal carry.
Anyone have these coverage's?
I am leaning toward the Ohio law firm.

Here is another option:
http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z2/slate-jones.htm

I am not a lawyer. This is not legal advice. If you want legal advice, pay an attorney for it.
NRA Certified Instructor
Post Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:59 am
I am not sure how JPFO can do all that for 99.00 a year but it sounds much better than the NRA insurance.
I had the NRA insurance for years but dropped it for Pre-Paid Legal
I have used PPL for many things and I have used them to collect debt that I would not have been able to recover on my own, the money they have recovered for me has always covered the cost of the service.

Member of USCCA, BCSC, BSSA, NRA, OFCC
"I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees." Emiliano Zapata
 Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]