Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Buckeye Firearms Association » CHL Chat

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Lorain County Metroparks
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:51 pm 

I am a CCW holder and I fish a lot in one of the Lorain County Metroparks (Mill Hollow). I am curious if I can carry concealed or not. I called the Metroparks this morning and the lady that answered said "you can absolutely not carry in the parks". She answered so emphatically that I'm not sure if she knows the rule, or if she is simply personally against it.

Does anyone have any insight on this?

Last edited by Doozer on Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Lorain County Metroparks
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:03 pm 

Open or conceal carry till your hearts content.

http://www.metroparks.cc/pdf/lcmp-rules ... ations.pdf

Quote:
8.0 FIREARMS, FIREWORKS, EXPLOSIVES, DANGEROUS WEAPONS, DANGEROUS ORDINANCE, OR BOWS OR ARROWS
8.1 No person, except duly authorized employees, Rangers, or other law enforcement officers, shall discharge firearms of any description, air or gas gun, BB or pellet gun, black powder gun, stun gun, taser, paintball gun, smoke bomb, martial arts weapon, billy club, sling shot, boomerang, or any missile-throwing device within park property.
Note:
Except that persons using authorized hunting areas on park land for hunting purposes when said persons have fully and completely complied with all of the requirements established for hunting on park lands. Firearms or weapons may be permitted for the
purpose of educational or cultural programs through the issuance of a special permit by
the Director.
8.2 No person who is intoxicated or under disability as defined in this section shall acquire, have, carry, or use any firearm or dangerous ordinance anywhere on Park District property. “Disability” shall mean any of the following: (1) the person is a fugitive from justice;
(2) the person is under indictment for or has been convicted of any felony offense of violence or has been adjudicated a delinquent child for the commission of an offense that, if committed by an adult, would have been a felony offense of violence; (3) the person is under indictment for or has been convicted of any offense involving the illegal possession, use, sale, administration, distribution, or trafficking in any drug of abuse or has been adjudicated a delinquent child for the commission of an offense that, if committed by an adult, would have been an offense involving the illegal possession, use, sale, administration, distribution, or trafficking in any drug of abuse; (4) the person is drugdependent, in danger of drug dependence, or a chronic alcoholic; (5) the person is under adjudication of mental incompetence, has been adjudicated as a mental defective, has been committed to a mental institution, has been found by a court to be a mentally ill person subject to hospitalization by court order, or is an involuntary patient other than one who is a patient only for purposes of observation. As used in this division, “mentally ill person subject to hospitalization by court order” and “patient” have the same meanings as in Section 5122.01 of the Ohio Revised Code.
8.3 No person shall possess, set off, discharge or ignite any fireworks or explosive, visible or audible substances or other pyrotechnics within the Park District except for licensed exhibitors or fireworks with written permit.
8.4 No person shall release an arrow from a bow, crossbow or longbow within the park except in areas designated as archery ranges, or by written permit.
ORC 3734.65 Discharge Prohibited – Fireworks
ORC 2923 Firearms Section
ORC 3773 Firearms Section

This violates Ohio law....

Post Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:43 am 

COL,

You are correct and the OP should make sure he is familiar with ORC 2923.126 (found here) especially section B 9
Quote:
(B) A valid license issued under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code does not authorize the licensee to carry a concealed handgun in any manner prohibited under division (B) of section 2923.12 of the Revised Code or in any manner prohibited under section 2923.16 of the Revised Code. A valid license does not authorize the licensee to carry a concealed handgun into any of the following places:
(9) Any building that is a government facility of this state or a political subdivision of this state and that is not a building that is used primarily as a shelter, restroom, parking facility for motor vehicles, or rest facility and is not a courthouse or other building or structure in which a courtroom is located that is subject to division (B)(3) of this section;

The OP should also be aware of ORC 9.68 (found here)

While he can carry concealed or open anywhere in the metroparks according to Ohio law we should at least give him the info so he doesn't carry somewhere he's not allowed and give him the information to know how to proceed should he run into someone who have a different interpretation. And all this info is probably worth less than you paid for it as IANAL.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:51 am 

Hedgelj, you are correct. I failed to notice that Doozer is a first time poster.

Welcome Doozer.....

Post Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:08 pm 

Thank you for the replies.

I have had my CCW for about a year now and have not carried very often. When I am fishing, I would like to have it on me, but I also don't want to have a confrontation with a ranger or DNR officer while they are checking my fishing license (obviously I would notify if they did check).

I guess what I'm saying is even though I'm technically allowed to carry in the park, it is against posted park rules and I would rather not carry if it would cause a scene or issue.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:00 pm 

Doozer wrote:

I have had my CCW for about a year now and have not carried very often. When I am fishing, I would like to have it on me, but I also don't want to have a confrontation with a ranger or DNR officer while they are checking my fishing license (obviously I would notify if they did check).

I guess what I'm saying is even though I'm technically allowed to carry in the park, it is against posted park rules and I would rather not carry if it would cause a scene or issue.

Bull!!!!! Wrong attitude. Call and ask for the Ranger's Office (1-800-LCM-PARK or 1-800-526-7275). Tell them that you were told that you can't OC or CC per your rules and that is in violation of the law. Since the Ohio Supreme court ruling in Cleveland v. State the county or the park cannot regulate firearms.
http://www.sconet.state.oh.us/rod/docs/ ... o-6318.pdf

If you won't call them, I will.......

Post Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:09 pm 

color of law wrote:
Doozer wrote:

Bull!!!!! Wrong attitude. Call and ask for the Ranger's Office (1-800-LCM-PARK or 1-800-526-7275). Tell them that you were told that you can't OC or CC per your rules and that is in violation of the law. Since the Ohio Supreme court ruling in Cleveland v. State the county or the park cannot regulate firearms.
http://www.sconet.state.oh.us/rod/docs/ ... o-6318.pdf

If you won't call them, I will.......

yes, this... :wink:

State premption is the law of the land now...Ill-informed park employees (who by the way work for you, the county taxpayer) can't just make up whatever "rules" they want...

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

"Vigilia aeterna est pretium libertatis"

Post Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:33 pm 

yes, carry in the parks is legal... just want to add this, that if the OP is stopped by ranger/DNR he has to inform he's carrying...

Buckeye Firearms Assoc
Ohioans for Concealed Carry
Oregon Firearms Federation
Maryland Shall Issue
Colorado Second Amendment Assoc

Post Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:48 am 

Doozer wrote:
I am a CCW holder and I fish a lot in one of the Lorain County Metroparks (Mill Hollow). I am curious if I can carry concealed or not. I called the Metroparks this morning and the lady that answered said "you can absolutely not carry in the parks". She answered so emphatically that I'm not sure if she knows the rule, or if she is simply personally against it.

Does anyone have any insight on this?

Welcome aboard, Doozer! Everyone is right...carrying at Mill Hollow is perfectly legal. I live 4 miles directly down the road from there, and I CC everytime I am there. No one has said 1 word to me about it. I walk my dogs down there, and no one gives me a second look. If someone is giving you a rough time about it...when the weather warms up...I will help arrange a Open Carry meet-and-greet, and we can use a pavilion and have us a nice little cook-out. I will supply the charcoal and meat :D . Vermilion is VERY OC and CC friendly. There are very few places (and even fewer cops) that will give you a hard time about it. :mrgreen:

USAF Vet
American Legion
Glock 36/Ruger SR9C
Para 1911 GI Expert

Post Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:14 pm 

Thanks to everyone for all of the input.

The situation I am trying to avoid is being hassled for carrying after a fishing license check by a DNR officer....especially if my 5 year old is fishing with me. That would be tough to explain.

Thanks again.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:53 pm 

Doozer wrote:
Thanks to everyone for all of the input.

The situation I am trying to avoid is being hassled for carrying after a fishing license check by a DNR officer....especially if my 5 year old is fishing with me. That would be tough to explain.

Thanks again.

Call DNR and the park rangers and get this resolved before going fishing.

I don't know DNRs phone number.

Like I said I'll call even though I live in Cincinnati.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:11 pm 

Doozer wrote:

It actually isn't against the rules. Re-read what color of law posted; those are the LC Metro Parks rules, downloadable here.

If you look closely, you're prohibiting from carrying firearms only when you would also be prohibited from doing so by state law. Oh, and you can't run around shooting things either. (Yeah, I spoil all the fun.)

The dear lady you spoke with needs a refresher course...

Post Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:34 pm 

Well guys I just talked to the top ranger Paul Hruby. A very friendly conversation took place. He assured me that he understands that OC and CC is legal and his officers understand the law as well. I won't go into detail here, but the conversation was somewhat detailed. I felt that the harassment Quotient should be tiny. Lets hope so.

As to DNR, I did my half.

Lets go fish-en......

Post Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:14 am 

Wow Linda, way out of line. IMHO.

I know I may have been a little hard on him, only because some people don't like confrontation. I solved half his problem.

But as a dad, I sure didn't get an idea that he didn't know how to deal with his child.

Linda, I hope you just had a bad day.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:48 am 

color of law wrote:
Wow Linda, way out of line. IMHO.

I know I may have been a little hard on him, only because some people don't like confrontation. I solved half his problem.

But as a dad, I sure didn't get an idea that he didn't know how to deal with his child.

Linda, I hope you just had a bad day.

Was Linda in this thread?? Just yankin' your chain there COL, I saw her post yesterday. Personally I thought she was giving some very tough-love type advice, and it was more good than bad. In any event I don't think the post should have been deleted.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Buckeye Firearms Association » CHL Chat