Page 11 of 12 [ 172 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Author
Post subject: Re: Churches in Ohio that allow carrying
Post Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:11 pm
THE MANCHESTER CHURCH OF THE NAZARENE. CCW OR LEO. LOCATED IN MANCHESTER OH. ADAMS CO..
Post Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:59 am
captainbob wrote:
You have it backwards. The section of the ORC that you are quoting pertains to "private land or premises." A "Place of worship" is listed under the "Forbidden Places" and does not have to be posted in order to prevent concealed carry; It is ALREADY prohibited along with schools, courthouses, police stations, etc.
However, it is the ONLY place on the ":Forbidden zone" list that can have permission given to carry. Without that permission it is a felony to carry in a "Forbidden zone.""

From my point of view, i think the e cig refills is very useful,you can go to chinazrh.com get more details
Post Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:05 pm
twelve:

Welcome Aboard....

Actually, schools (and, presumably Colleges/Universities) can give permission to individuals to carry, although getting it probably is right up there with finding the Lost Ark.

Houses of Worship are (I think) the only places that can post a blanket permission to carry, negating the CPZ status of the facility. (Otherwise, get it in writing!) I don't know whether they can just put something in the "bulletin", give you a letter, or put up a sign, but I expect that the letter or a sign would be the best way.

Personally, I consider the "Houses of Worship" thing an unconstitutional interference with my rights to religious choice. While a "House of Worship" probably should (let's not get into that) have the right to post a gunbuster, the felony status of the violation is the real problem. "You can always find another Church" doesn't cut it when you're part of a minority group of some kind, and "don't ask, don't tell" really should be sufficient.

In my case, I'm Jewish. There are four Synagogues in town. Three are so far away that walking there (not something I'd do, but others consider that a requirement) is impossible. The one I belong to once asked me to attend a Friday night Service, and to "bring your gun" because some local troublemakers were supposed to be there.... Can't do that now, and "don't ask, don't tell" won't work because too many people know I routinely carry. The wife is not amused....

(Couple fries short of a Happy Meal, too....)

Anyway.... I'm still working on the board....

Boilerplate: There's a sticky at http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10097 that you should have a look at. It's not mandatory, and probably sleep-inducing, but you might learn something about how this place works, and, at least, who the little dog in my avatar is :D....

Gunnar? Did I get you with the above sticky info? I don't recall.... If not, Welcome Aboard to you, too.

twelve: Some yelling.... :D The e-cig refill URL doesn't work, but mostly it's irrelevant to the post. Please avoid that sort of thing. It's OK to include your website in a signature, though. BTW, the homepage of that URL is quite interesting.

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:33 pm
Stu,

Looks like "tweleve" is a spammer. If you look at his post again, he is quoting someone else and then a sentence about e-cigs...

Not sure how these are getting on here but seems to be happening more lately.

Joel
NRA Certified Instructor,Member and Recruiter
Centerburg Conservation Club Trustee
CCC Range committee and Lake committee
Second Call Defense Recruiter

If you like guns, click here! https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/sign ... ID=nranews
Post Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:25 am
Joel:

Agreed....

I've got him deactivated for now....

They're getting in because the board's no longer referring new members to a "gatekeeper" (usually me). They just sign on via the Join function and they're in. The "hold" function seems to have wandered off as has the "send Stu an e-mail" feature (actually I think many of us get it). Seems like I'm not getting "you have a new message in a thread you're subscribed to" message either. Your note took a trip to "Display New Messages" or whatever it's called.

Something's farkled :D....

Regards

Stu

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:26 pm
Something for you folks to tell your legislators if you are trying to get church carry unless a church is posted. Church carry is legal in Illinois, that includes Chicago, unless the church posts as a CPZ. We finally got the first carry licenses issued early last year. Next month I'll have had mine a year and yes I carry at church every Sunday. On this matter Illinois is more gun friendly than Ohio.

I do appreciate that Ohio now recognizes Illinois LTC, hopefully we'll return the favor soon. I've got a daughter and family in Akron so I used to have to carry on my non-resident Utah in Ohio.
Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:16 pm
I am a long timer lurker first time poster. I have recently obtained my CHL and during the course I read that Houses of Worship were a forbidden place unless permission is granted by the particular House of Worship.
So I got on this thread and read all eleven pages. From what I gather from all eleven pages is the following:
1. Open carry is legal unless posted.
2. Concealed carry is allowed with permission of some church authority and needs to be in writing.
My question is does the above two restrictions apply to inside the church building and the grounds or just the building?
Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:18 pm
tincan sailor:

Welcome Aboard!

I'm something of an official greeter. There's a sticky at http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10097 that you might want to take a look at, but it's not mandatory, and may be sleep-inducing. Or worse....

We'll likely hear from somebody who really knows, but I'd presume that Open Carry wouldn't work, either, in the building.

The law doesn't bother to define who can authorized you to carry, other than just having the building posted FOR concealed carry. Some houses of worship are run by a board, and some by individual ministers. Figuring out who can be a bear if you're new to the congregation. That has to be in writing for your own safety.

If there's a K-12 school on the premises (or even a day care center, although the rules are slightly different), you're probably "out" for the grounds and the school building, but you should be OK inside. Goofy? Right.... Welcome to OH....

Just IMHO, the whole thing is unconstitutional - disregarding the 2A issues, it's also an interference between Church & State, particularly because it's a Felony.

Someday....

Meantime, Enjoy the board, and congrats on the new CHL. I've been carrying for nearly 50 years, and had got my CHL in early 2004.

Regards,

Stu

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:20 pm
SMMA,
Thanks for the welcome and for your comments. Hopefully there will be others chime in on my question.

It did seem odd that concealed carry was not allowed but open carry was, but that was the impression I got from many of the responses in the eleven pages I read.

Thanks for the information about schools and daycares. I didn't think about that side. I agree with you regarding the Second Amendment. It seems to me the separation of church and state only comes into play when it benefits them.

tincan sailor
Proud to be a Tincan Sailor, USS Noa DD841 1966-1968
Post Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:17 pm
There weren't any responses so I guess everything that could be said was said. So, I took the bull by the horns and approached the congregation at our quarterly Congregational Meeting concerning concealed carry by those having a valid CHL. When asked about new business, I presented a motion to allow concealed carry in our church. Long story made short, after about twenty minutes of discussion a trustee made a motion that we vote on the motion. A second was made and a vote taken and the motion was passed unanimously.

I want to thank everyone who contributed to this thread because I used a lot of the information I found here to lobby for the motion. Thanks to all.

tincan sailor
Proud to be a Tincan Sailor USS Noa DD841 1966-1968
Post Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:31 pm
Good job tincan sailor! Or maybe I should say 'Hallelujah!'

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:01 pm
Brian D.

And I'll add a hearty AMEN!!!!! It was certainly worth taking the time to research the issue so I could have all the information I needed. Once again, I want to all those on this thread who supplied the information I needed.

tincan sailor
Proud to be a Tincan Sailor USS Noa DD841 1966 - 1968
Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:56 pm
tincan sailor wrote:
There weren't any responses so I guess everything that could be said was said. So, I took the bull by the horns and approached the congregation at our quarterly Congregational Meeting concerning concealed carry by those having a valid CHL. When asked about new business, I presented a motion to allow concealed carry in our church. Long story made short, after about twenty minutes of discussion a trustee made a motion that we vote on the motion. A second was made and a vote taken and the motion was passed unanimously.

I want to thank everyone who contributed to this thread because I used a lot of the information I found here to lobby for the motion. Thanks to all.

tincan sailor
Proud to be a Tincan Sailor USS Noa DD841 1966-1968

well done! 8)

NRA Endowment
GOA Life
SAF Life
Buckeye Firearms Assoc
Ohioans for Concealed Carry
Oregon Firearms Federation
Maryland Shall Issue
Colorado Second Amendment Assoc
Post Posted: Sat May 09, 2015 12:23 pm
my church did about the same thing. It went before the board and pastor and they voted to allow it they gave me a letter stating it was ok and a copy of the letter isd on file at the church.
Post Posted: Sun May 10, 2015 3:22 pm
Good job getting that passed.

Joel
NRA Certified Instructor,Member and Recruiter
Centerburg Conservation Club Trustee
CCC Range committee and Lake committee
Second Call Defense Recruiter

If you like guns, click here! https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/sign ... ID=nranews
 Page 11 of 12 [ 172 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next