Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author
Post Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:33 pm
Thanks for all your great work, MyWifeSaidYes!

This has me wondering: I frequently carry (concealed) in Dublin parks. On the off chance that I had to inform an officer, and because they apparently think carrying is against the law, is there some wording I should rehearse to help smooth things over? Rather not be arrested or cited for carrying perfectly legally!

Thanks again...
Post subject: Re: Dublin Irish Featival?
Post Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:06 pm
I spoke with the Asst. Law Director for Dublin today.

He had already spoken with the officers involved.

The officers said, "Oops."

If for ANY reason you are told you cannot carry in a Dublin park, have that person confirm that with their city law director before they take any action.

What does a caring, sensitive
person feel when they are forced
to use a handgun to stop a threat?

Recoil.
Post Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:45 pm
bombarde32 wrote:
Thanks for all your great work, MyWifeSaidYes!

This has me wondering: I frequently carry (concealed) in Dublin parks. On the off chance that I had to inform an officer, and because they apparently think carrying is against the law, is there some wording I should rehearse to help smooth things over? Rather not be arrested or cited for carrying perfectly legally!

Thanks again...

Since you frequent the park I suggest that you do an open records request for the training the police officers have/had received in regards to open carrying of firearms and carrying concealed firearms in the city proper as well as the city parks.

Your request can say in the beginning: It has come to my attention that persons were turned away from the XXX festival held SundayXXX because the city disallows firearms in the city parks. This policy is contrary to ORC 9.68, Cleveland v. State and OFCC v. Clyde.

Therefore, please make available for review all the training material police officers have/had received in regards to open carrying of firearms and carrying concealed firearms in the city proper as well as the city parks. This request includes all internal correspondence in regards to the above described subject matter.

XOXOXO

Just a rough draft.
Post Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:50 pm
I had too much caffeine last night. Here is my next email to Dublin:

While thinking about Dublin's violation of ORC 9.68, and the violation of my rights, I realized that the city might be relying on some immunities granted under ORC 2744.

So I got to thinking about Dublin putting on events at the park themselves instead of having a private entity organize such events. I have two scenarios. One is based on festivals that take place in other cities around Columbus. The other is based on Dublin and the Dublin Irish Festival.

Other city scenario:

A city closes a city-owned park to lease it, 100%, to a private entity. That private entity can establish their own rules for the park, including a weapons policy and charging admission, for the duration of their lease. Period.

The city still has immunities granted under ORC 2744.

Dublin scenario:

If a city leases out space within a park to private entities, those private entities can establish their own rules for their leased space for the duration of their lease.

However, even if ALL of the private entities asked the city to post a "No Guns" sign at the entrance to the park, the city would be violating ORC 9.68 in doing so. Each private entity would have to post a "No Guns sign" upon each of their leased spaces.

ORC 2744, while establishing tort liability, also reconfirms that the city is a political subdivision and is therefore subject to a lawsuit under ORC 9.68

Also, since the city has closed a taxpayer-funded, city-owned park to the public, but then turns around and invites the public back in at $10 a head, but only on certain days, it is possible this can be seen as a TAX. And that's illegal.

Lawsuits against cities under ORC 9.68 are easily winnable, but not profitable.

In the case of Dublin and the Dublin Irish Festival, Dublin is not only violating ORC 9.68, but is illegally taxing its citizens and others for the use of a public land, under the direct control of the city. This might convince a judge to grant a request for punative damages. An amount equal to the total amount of gate admissions since ORC 9.68 was enacted in 2007 would probably be fair.

Who would I ask to find out what that amount is?

If that amount is not tracked as a separate accounting item, I think a plaintiff would have to ask for punitive damages in the amount of the total revenue from the Dublin Irish Festival since ORC 9.68 was enacted in 2007.

How much revenue (not profit...revenue) has the Irish Festival generated in the last seven years? I'm sure the numbers for this year aren't yet available, but that's okay. I don't need them since I'm not filing a lawsuit.

But someone else might.

I would again advise the City of Dublin to STOP violating ORC 9.68.

THIS INCLUDES ANY EVENT ORGANIZED BY THE CITY.

Council may want to note that their Parks and Recreation Master Plan of 2009 alludes to Dublin 'approving' the Irish Festival but not 'providing' the Irish Festival, to wit:

"Policy 2: The City’s provision of recreation facilities and services are provided for general recreation and will benefit large segments of the population. The private sector or
special interest groups may be Policies, Issues and Strategies accommodated where possible with existing available resources; however, the City typically will not be responsible for providing facilities and services for limited, competitive, private or other alternative types of activities. Residents, corporate citizens and visitors are welcome to enjoy the
benefits offered by recreating in an attractive setting at all public parks and facilities. General public access to specific amenities and/or sites may be restricted due to special events, structured programs or permitted activities approved by the City."

This email is intended to be a public record and should treated and retained as such.

Thanks!

-"MWSY"
August 6, 2013

Recoil.
Post Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:55 pm
Update?

- Tim

Sig Sauer P226R . 40 (Duty gun)
Glock 27 Gen4 .40 (Backup/CCW gun)
Glock 26 Gen4 9mm (Wife's gun)
Smith & Wesson M&P15OR
Post Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:16 pm
The repeal of their assault weapons ban is up for it's 3rd reading next Monday (9/9/13).

As far as the Irish Festival, they are "considering several options".

We probably won't know for sure what they do until next year's festival.

Right now, I'm working on trying to get into City Hall with a loaded magazine (no gun, just mag).

The assistant law director says he would charge me with having a handgun because 'the magazine is one of the combination of parts from which a handgun can be assembled".

I still haven't figured out how to shoot someone with just a loaded magazine, but I'll keep trying.

Recoil.
Post Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:22 pm
Went to Dublin City Council meeting tonight for the vote on repealing their assault weapons ban. It was so fun to watch them squirm and gasp at the thought of those GUNS (gasp) in our dear city. BFA and OFCC are doing good stuff! My twelve-year-old daughter and I had a wonderful time listening to the discussion. Resolution passed 4-2.

Thanks for your good work, MyWifeSaidYes. You kicked their butts today and you weren't even there! Your name was mentioned quite often, though, and they sounded like they were talking about a festering sore that wouldn't go away peacefully. :-) They're right.

As far as the Irish Festival, next year will be interesting. They discussed the idea of having a private entity host the Irish Festival, making it a place that can be posted. Of course, the loss of the city's immunity is an issue.

Oberlin was mentioned, but the Asst. Law Director could not remember the name of the city. He did categorically state that Oberlin cannot win and neither can Dublin because of the terrible state laws getting in the way. I submit that Dublin's citizens and visitors all won tonight. :-)
Post Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:18 pm
sd790 wrote:
...Your name was mentioned quite often, though, and they sounded like they were talking about a festering sore that wouldn't go away peacefully...

<<<---
Look kids! It's Uncle Fester!

Recoil.
Post Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:53 pm
Anyone up for going to the Irish Festival with me this year? I'm looking forward to getting some kettle corn and, well, maybe show off my openly carried CZ to my friends at the main entrance.
Post Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:16 pm
when is it?
Post Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:06 pm
Just googled it......Aug. 1st. - 3RD.

3FULLMAGS+1
They say the best "Home Remedy" for Tyranny is... LEAD POISONING!
Post Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:43 pm
Looks like they caved...

Festival Frequently Asked Questions

What is not permitted at the Festival?

Alcohol Cans or Glass bottles
Hard-sided coolers Soft-sided insulated bags larger than standard 6-pack size,
Pets of any kind except working dogs and registered Celtic Canines
Fireworks of any kind
Bikes, rollerblades, skateboards, etc. inside Festival grounds
Peddling or soliciting inside Festival grounds
No smoking is allowed under any tents or in any buildings at the Festival
Guest’s bags will be subject to search upon entry.

From their posted rules,
http://dublinirishfestival.org/festival-faqs/

No listing of no weapons on the site. Be nice to see what the signs at the gate say, but for now,I'd say a big congrats is due to MYSY!

To America's Citizen Soldier; Who answered the call; Climbed the hill; Paid the price; And never let us down.
Post Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:55 am
Okay...

I will not only attend while open carrying a handgun, I will attend while open carrying a BAG.

"Guests bags will be subject to search upon entry"

Oh, really?

sd790, let me know what day and time you're going.

Bring a bag.

Recoil.
Post Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:16 pm
For those that may have missed it, the Dublin Irish Festival BANNED OPEN CARRY this year.

They even had a recording of various rules playing over a loudspeaker that included '...firearms must be concealed'.

Anyone up for attending the City Council meeting at 7 pm on August 11, 2014?

There are pictures of their 'concealed only' rule and a little more story here:

http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=81268

Recoil.
Post Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:33 pm
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
For those that may have missed it, the Dublin Irish Festival BANNED OPEN CARRY this year.

They even had a recording of various rules playing over a loudspeaker that included '...firearms must be concealed'.

Anyone up for attending the City Council meeting at 7 pm on August 11, 2014?

There are pictures of their 'concealed only' rule and a little more story here:

http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=81268

So they are REALLY wanting to get sued? Over those "terrible" state laws? Even though they can't win?

BTW, it is inappropriate for a city law director to publicly state that a law is "good", "bad", or otherwise.

"Our Constitution is a document in which "We the people" tell the government what it is allowed to do. "We the people" are free." - Ronald Wilson Reagan, 1/11/1989

My friends, never forget this.
NRA
GOA
2AF
 Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next