Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Buckeye Firearms Association » CHL Chat

Page 1 of 4 [ 55 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Alien Gear Holster (review)
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:52 am 

About 5 weeks ago I ordered a holster from Alien Gear Holsters. I would have written this review a lot sooner, except Greene County decided to take 5 weeks to get my wife and I's CHLs sent to us. For the past 5 weeks I have been carrying my AG holster "dry" until we got our CHLs two Fridays ago. This past week I have been carrying my AG holster "wet". Here is my review of the Alien Gear Holster, an IWB holster.

-----------

I was turned on to Alien Gear Holsters by a friend of mine. He sent me the link to the website for me to check out. I checked out their website and what they have to offer. Currently, Alien Gear Holsters (AG) produce IWB style of holsters. They offer a very broad range of holsters for just about any handgun you can think of.

I have been wanting to get another holster for some time now, but everywhere I was looking the companies were wanting $60 or better for their holsters. I checked out AG's price and found out theirs are going for about $30. I liked that part, but was skeptical thinking it might be some cheap knock off. However, $30 is not much to loose to test a product so I ordered mine.

Before our CHLs came in I wore my AG Holster "dry" to get used to the holster being there. When you first put it on it feels a little bulky, but not bad. As the day goes on, your body heat softens the leather and it conforms to your body. At this point you tend to forget it is there. Once our CHLs came in I was able to carry my pistol around outside of the house. Even with the weight of the pistol, the AG Holster was still comfortable to ware.

The shell of the holster is fully adjustable to tighten or loosen it to fit the comfort level of your draw. Also the metal clips are fully adjustable. You can raise or lower the holster. You can also adjust the CANT to more or less CANT. You can also swap out the metal clips for leather clips/straps upon ordering.

There are some small issues when getting your wallet out if you keep yours in your back pocket. Occasionally you may even get what I call, "butt-pinch". That is when your holster and your wallet come together as you sit down and part of your butt cheek gets between the two. Yeah, it lets you know right away that you need to adjust some things. :surp:

The thing I like about the holster is "weight displacement". Unlike other holsters that centralize the weight of the pistol to a point on your belt, the AG holster spreads the weight out. This helps with the heavier high-cap pistols and full size pistols. I carry an FNS-40 with 14+1 capacity. Fully loaded it is a good couple of pounds.

Overall I would recommend the AG Holster to anyone wanting to CC their pistol. I do recommend a good belt though. The one in the picture is currently all I have in line of belts. Whether you OC or CC a good belt is always the thing to have. Fortunately, the weight displacement that the AG holster provides makes things a little easier. :egrin:

Alien Gear Holster rating - 4 out of 5 stars (lost a star until butt-pinch is figured out)

Molon Labe

Post subject: Re: Alien Gear Holster (review)
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:23 pm 

Thanks for the review ... that's pretty good price for a hybrid IWB holster. I bet $15 of that is materials, so they are a good deal if they hold up. The design of the clips is most important part. Years ago, before I got into making my own holsters I bought a cross-breed which were going for $65 back then. I found it to be a really comfortable holster w/ a sub-compact Glock.

On the "butt- pinch" thing -I think 3 things might help.

1. you have your holster at 5'0 clock .... maybe rotate to 4 or 3'oclock. I'm a 4'o clock guy myself
2. move your wallet to the front pocket or a cargo pocket.
3. Not super realistic but a shorter barrel/subcompact. (not that I would buy a new gun either ... I would rather buy 2 $20 pairs of cargo shorts ...)

Over-all seems like a reasonable product I might pick one up at that price point because it would cost me $20 in material + time or to make one due to all the specialty pieces (heavy kydex, metalclips, etc.)

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

"Vigilia aeterna est pretium libertatis"

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:01 pm 

On the "Butt Pinch" thing I simply put my wallet in the other / left hip pocket. Yes, it feels odd at first, but you soon get used to it. This also has another benefit. My chiropractor recommends alternating side is better for your hips and lower back. I pocket carry a 380 at work and the wallet is on the right hip. For non working hours I frequently carry IWB with my Shield or SR9c.

Taurus 738
S&W Shield 9
Ruger SR9c

Post Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:48 am 

I haven't been on here in awhile. Good review of the holster, and congrats on finally getting your CHL.

*SAF*
*USCCA*

Post Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:28 am 

Thanks, BlackStallion29. It took Greene County 5 weeks to get our CHLs mailed out. This has been an interesting year for my wife and I... :D

Molon Labe

Post Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:24 pm 

Just to throw my .02 cents into the ring, I too recently bought a alien gear holster, aside from the slow shipping, and little communications. I really do like this holster! I have not had any pinching and i carry about the 3 o'clock position and all has been good! I found that I needed a bit more cant than they had it set for. Once I had that down I found that my Ruger P95 print is non existent! My cell phone prints more than my gun!

The retention on my firearm is good and I think a little bit of heat around the trigger guard will make it better! but I would buy another with out hesitation!

Post Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:28 am 

It is a very comfortable holster. The shipping and communication part needs work, but the product right on spot. My holster wound up in Iowa, and I received the fella's holster that was supposed to go to Iowa. We contacted each other before AG got back to us. We made arrangements and shipped each other's holster. AG said they would reimburse us for the shipping mix up.

Molon Labe

Post Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:16 am 

Ordered one for myself over the weekend before last directly from Alien Gear's website. Giving Monday as the first business day, The holster was in my hands the following Saturday. So one week for assembly & shipping - not bad at all. An email accepting the order, another for payment confirmation and one more with tracking information.

I have other, quality hybrid holsters as well and have no complaints with the Alien Gear offering. The only things I did to please myself were to remove the silver paint marking on the inside of the kydex (It was transferring to the gun's finish but easily wiped away.) and to lightly sand the inside the kydex with very fine grit paper to remove small snags that I could feel catching a cloth when wiped. If it can snag a cloth, it ain't smooth. All in all, I put less effort into tweaking this holster than any of the others I own.

At this price point especially, I'd easily recommend giving it a try if you like the hybrids.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:57 pm 

I just ordered one last night I'm curious to try it out this will be my first hybrid holster.. For the price if I don't like it can go in the drawer full of holsters I hate lol.

The only thing I'm really worried about is if I can get enough cant..

Other thing is how bad it's going to destroy my kimbers finish, not that I really care that much it's strictly a carry gun..

Post Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:30 pm 

Cody wrote:
The only thing I'm really worried about is if I can get enough cant..

From the pictures it looks like it allows a bit more cant than some other IWB hybrids I've seen. Be sure and update the thread and let us know how it goes!

Anything I post is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:46 am 

I normally ware my holster with the back clip on the middle button and the front clip on the top button. I haven't tried any other CANT angle yet, this is very comfortable for me as is.

Molon Labe

Post Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:20 am 

It will be here tomorrow finally so tomorrow will be the test if they sent the right email.. It says they sent me a railed 1911 shell but after a fallow up phone call they said it was non railled.. I guess we will see

Post Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:56 am 

I think I'm going to order one. I had a supertuck knock off that I liked a lot but recently during an all day training class the shell cracked/split a little. The thing I like about these is the shell is replaceable. The one I currently have is riveted on.

ETA: I went ahead and ordered one. We'll see!

CCC Range committee and Lake committee
Second Call Defense Recruiter

If you like guns, click here! https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/sign ... ID=nranews

Post Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:35 am 

The AG holsters are built pretty well. So far, mine has survived being owned by me...lol.

Molon Labe

Post Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:54 am 

I got mine in the mail today, 7 days after I ordered it. Not bad on the wait I guess.

First impression is it's kind of bulky compared to the other one I had with the much much thicker leather and kydex on this one. Also, I'm going to have to adjust it I think but I'll wait on that. The holster was so tight that the slide on my M&P was going back a little holstering the gun. Wondering at first if they sent me the wrong one it was so tight. I'm thinking the leather might soften up in a couple days so I'm not going to mess with it yet.

CCC Range committee and Lake committee
Second Call Defense Recruiter

If you like guns, click here! https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/sign ... ID=nranews

Page 1 of 4 [ 55 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Buckeye Firearms Association » CHL Chat