Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: Handgunlaw.us Draft of Long Guns in Vehicles Update
Post Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:07 pm
Things have been going much better than I ever imagined. Thanks to everyone who has given me feedback. It has really helped! This is all still in draft form. I will say that I caused some lively debate on some state forums. Information was exchanged and laws discussed and in some cases there was no clear answer. Some depended on what the definition of “IS” is! Had to throw that “Is” in there as some laws are so hard to understand and even read. It just showed how out of touch some lawmakers are/were when writing gun laws.

I have reworked the first page trying to explain that people need to look at Places off Limits etc on each States Page at www.handgunlaw.us. Plus other information they need to be aware of. I have also made the states name on each section a link to that States Page at Handgunlaw.us so they can access it easily.

The states I have information for still need looked at by others and feedback on what may need added or removed would be greatly appreciated. The biggest problem is that if there is no law against something it is legal. Laws are so varied and spread out in the Statutes/Administrative Rules and Hunting Regulations it can be tough to find some of them. Then if there is not a law against it you can search forever and there is nothing to find. I have been cautious on some state entries. I just don’t have enough information and don’t want to get someone arrested and maybe lose their gun rights. That is where your feedback can assist me. Then we get to the Catch 22 again as there may be no law against it so you can’t show a statute/Rule Etc that states it is legal!

Below is a link to the latest Draft. Again feedback is most welcome! This is the same link to the first Draft Document. I just updated it. Thanks again to everyone who has assisted me. It is very much appreciated!
http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/Long ... cument.pdf

Post subject: Re: Handgunlaw.us Draft of Long Guns in Vehicles Update
Post Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:33 pm
reading thru now..
I think there is a typo on Alabama
"Bans firearms except doing hunting season"
I think doing is suppose to during.

• If you can't hit the broad side of a barn, You're not using enough bullets.
  • Zombies are the Trash-men of Humanity.
  • Certified Ammosexual, lolzImage
Post Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:01 am
Well from what I can see it looks pretty good.
It seems Ohio is actually better then a most on transport.. Im surprised at that.

It also make me even more weary of interstate travel.. but that so rarely happens with me anyway.

• If you can't hit the broad side of a barn, You're not using enough bullets.
  • Zombies are the Trash-men of Humanity.
  • Certified Ammosexual, lolzImage
Post Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:35 pm
Joe, The Typo will be fixed. I am a terrible speller and depend on Spell Check! But that was not my mistake. That was the AL Fish & Game. That was a cut and paste from their Hunting & Fishing Pamphlet.
Don't feel so bad now as I see others can't spell any better than I can. HA HA That fix might not show up for a day or so. Thank you.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:04 pm
I just renewed my CHL with Ohio. One thing in your draft for Ohio and in the Booklet available covers 2923.16(C); (Feb 2014 publication)

(4) If the firearm is at least twenty-four inches in overall length as measured from the muzzle to the part of the stock furthest from the muzzle and if the barrel is at least eighteen inches in length, either in plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight.

First time I read that it sounded like a miss print. So your draft verifies it is most likely not. Now I need clarification, as you see it.

Federal laws indicate a firearm of 26 inch and a barrel of 16 inch on a rifle and a barrel of 18 inch on a shotgun. So to be in compliance since Ohio's reg of 24 inch is shorter than the feds, the Federal laws govern for overall length. And a shotgun barrel length of 18 meets the Federal laws. But are rifles held to 18 inch and not 16 inch? Some scout rifles are 16 inch as are .22 rifles as well as AR15 rifles?

Any help understanding why Ohio uses 24 and 18 without defining rifle or shotgun?
Post Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:30 pm
Hi back again. Got a great reply from the introduction forum by JustaShooter, and a very good one. Also a reminder from Site Admin to only post introductions in that forum. So here's my take on the CHL booklet. And JustaShooter's responce:

"...the Ohio law is about transport only, and specifically about transport of the long gun without being cased."[ORC 2923.16(B)(C)], by JustaShooter.

Thank you. Yes you're right it was talking about transporting firearms. I did look to see if any Ohio code had any clarification on long gun ownership, outside of the codes for CHL, because the booklet says "..., Ohio has strict laws concerning firearms in a vehicle." but didn't find any that addressed the limits of 24 inch and 18 inch. I believe many owners of 16 inch barreled guns like a 10-22, or scout rifle, or an AR-15, if they never tried to get a CHL, would never know about that restriction. Because when I looked through the Ohio code this restriction looks to be only under 2923.16(B)(C) within the codes for a CHL.

I wonder if retailers know and counsel buyers of used long guns not to transport them without a latched/lockable case? Most used guns are bought as is. So per Ohio code, you must bring your own case or buy one as an unexpected cost at time of purchase. Of course only if the barrel is shorter than 18 inches, which it very well could be per Federal limitations. No need to worry about overall length because 24 inch is illegal unless you have a NFA title/lic.

I think we might of found yet another piece of Ohio code needing revision or clarification!
 Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]