I got pulled over the other day, word of caution!!!

Discussions related to the various aspects of legal concealed carry and Ohio gun laws.

Moderators: Linda, NRAInstructor

1stMarDiv

I got pulled over the other day, word of caution!!!

Post by 1stMarDiv » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:54 am

Well It was my first time being pulled over since I got my CHL in 2011. I made a real stupid traffic move and sooo deserved a ticket. But once I knew I was getting pulled over I pulled to the side of the road and actually waited for the sheriff to catch up to me. I was in a high drug area in Toledo so I rolled all my windows down and hung my hands out the window. my son was in the front seat and i told him to just relax. Well the sheriff walked up obviously pissed off at my bone head move, "Christmas traffic made me do it" Anyhow I informed him I had a firearm and he asked if I had a license, I said yes, he said you know what pisses me off and I quickly said A lot! He agreed and proceeded to tell me i was in a drug area and he should call a canine unit out and disassemble my car in the street. I did say please don't do that, well my son decided He needed a donut that was in a bag on the floor. And the sheriff quickly scolded him and me for not giving him the low down. Anyhow, I lucked out he was a former Marine and gave me a verbal waning and an early Christmas present. What I want to share is please have the talk with your kids and family to sit there and don't move with their hands visible. A side note I have been carrying everyday for 3 years and I was still shaking and feeling like I was doing something wrong. I think the next time i get pulled over it wont be so bad, my cherry has been popped, but its like any first time, I wont forget it, ever and the first thing I'm gonna say to the occupants of my car is sit still and don't move!!

Stay safe stay armed

and

Merry Christmas fellow American!!
Fascism is not defined by the number of its victims, but by the way it kills them. J.P. Sartre

It is not my duty to die for my country, but to help others die for theirs. Gen Patton

Viking

Re: I got pulled over the other day, word of caution!!!

Post by Viking » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:47 am

Nothing like the first time ;)

I think most of us here felt that way, our first time being pulled over whilst armed.

We all pull boners every once in a while on the roads. I have gotten out of tickets because of my veteran plates as well by former sailors.

Merry Christmas.
US NAVY VETERAN
Navy Qualified Tactical Action Officer
Navy Qualified Sharpshooter (Pistol, Rifle)
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

"Vigilia aeterna est pretium libertatis"

Cruiser

Post by Cruiser » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:22 am

Hands on the wheel is all that is needed. Hands out the window is a sign of surrender! Something I will never do for a traffic stop.

KahrKarrier

Post by KahrKarrier » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:44 am

If you had that much time to wait for the LEO to come up to you, I might suggest having the necessary forms in hand - CHL, on top,drivers license, registration and proof of insurance. Then, simply keep your hands on the wheel. I did that after getting zapped by radar on Rt 42 by a deputy sheriff and he seemed to appreciate it - to the point that I was let go with a warning only, for 72 in a 55 no less. I was most appreciative myself - I certainly deserved a ticket.

color of law

Post by color of law » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:14 pm

1stMarDiv wrote:...I said yes, he said you know what pisses me off and I quickly said A lot! He agreed and proceeded to tell me i was in a drug area and he should call a canine unit out and disassemble my car in the street. I did say please don't do that, well my son decided He needed a donut that was in a bag on the floor. And the sheriff quickly scolded him and me for not giving him the low down.....A side note I have been carrying everyday for 3 years and I was still shaking and feeling like I was doing something wrong....
Wow. If the officer's attitude was pissed off, he needs that attitude adjusted. Is the officer related to Daniel Harless? My point is this is how traffic stops get out of hand real quick, not good. If an officer cannot keep their emotions in check then they need to find another line of work. Unfortunately courts have allowed this type of attitude to exist. And the establishment doesn't understand all the riots and marches.

Double wow. The courts have ruled time and time again, and has made it clear that being in a drug area (high crime area), in or itself, does not rise to the level of reasonable articulable suspicion that a crime is about to happen. The cop sent your son a clear message that cops don't play by the rules. They are above the law. And don't you forget it. I'll rip your car apart because I can.

Triple wow. Your son was more than likely taught the cops are your friend. What was going on (in your son's mind) was of no concern of his. (Why should your son loose his recess time for someone else's misdeeds?) The sheriff just destroyed that belief/lesson. Your son has learned a valuable lesson that you are guilty just by association. And unfortunately the courts have ruled that being a passenger in a car is, in fact, guilty by association. Rights? You ain't got no rights.

“...I was still shaking and feeling like I was doing something wrong...” Mission accomplished.

I'm not raising hell with you Per se, your story is typical and your mindset is typical.

The “I deserved the ticket” is simple brainwashing. You are pulled over and ticketed for the purpose of collecting money, period.

JMHO

les nessman

Post by les nessman » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:06 pm

1stMarDiv wrote:He agreed and proceeded to tell me i was in a drug area and he should call a canine unit out and disassemble my car in the street.
If that cop really said that, or really thinks that way, then he can go straight to hell.
If he really said that then he is a bully and a thug and should not be allowed to be involved in law enforcement in any capacity.

All these riots and protests lately about good cops who killed career-criminal thugs are wrong. This is the cop they should be protesting.

color of law

Post by color of law » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:14 pm

les nessman wrote:
1stMarDiv wrote:He agreed and proceeded to tell me i was in a drug area and he should call a canine unit out and disassemble my car in the street.
If that cop really said that, or really thinks that way, then he can go straight to hell.
If he really said that then he is a bully and a thug and should not be allowed to be involved in law enforcement in any capacity.

All these riots and protests lately about good cops who killed career-criminal thugs are wrong. This is the cop they should be protesting.
Agree.

As long good cops keep protecting and defending bad cops these problems will continue.

JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:27 pm

KahrKarrier wrote:If you had that much time to wait for the LEO to come up to you, I might suggest having the necessary forms in hand - CHL, on top,drivers license, registration and proof of insurance. Then, simply keep your hands on the wheel. I did that after getting zapped by radar on Rt 42 by a deputy sheriff and he seemed to appreciate it - to the point that I was let go with a warning only, for 72 in a 55 no less. I was most appreciative myself - I certainly deserved a ticket.
Unless it's all in your front shirt pocket I'm not sure I'd go messing around with that. I don't know many that can easily take their license out of their pocket without quite a bit of movement in a vehicle and sometimes even undoing their seat belt. Start getting fidgety before the officer walks up and he may think you are going for something and order your out of your vehicle at gunpoint. I wait till the officer asks for the info then go for it.

1stMarDiv

Post by 1stMarDiv » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:34 pm

Well I really didn't feel like I was being bullied. I've taken plenty of A$$ chewing in my life and it was pretty mild as that goes, yea yea I drank the kool aide I suppose one might say, I was wrong point blank, I guess its a good thing he didn't pull someone else over, he might have been shot for the verbal assault, I should have said yea try it buddy and see what happens. Thats not me, I know what the inside of a jail looks like and I know when I'm in the wrong. My skin ain't that thin. Anyhow Didn't get a ticket for something I deserved 4 for so I'm happy as a clam and the shaking has stopped thank God.
Last edited by 1stMarDiv on Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fascism is not defined by the number of its victims, but by the way it kills them. J.P. Sartre

It is not my duty to die for my country, but to help others die for theirs. Gen Patton

color of law

Post by color of law » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:41 pm

1stMarDiv wrote:Well I really didn't feel like I was being bullied. I've taken plenty of A$$ chewing in my life and it was pretty mild as that goes, yea yea I drank the kool air=e I suppose one might say, I was wrong point blank, I guess its a good thing he didn't pull someone else over, he might have been shot for the verbal assault, I should have said yea try it buddy and see what happens. Thats not me, I know what the inside of a jail looks like and I know when I'm in the wrong. My skin ain't that thin. Anyhow Didn't get a ticket for something I deserved 4 for so I'm happy as a clam and the shaking has stopped thank God.
It is always easier said than done.

JustaShooter

Post by JustaShooter » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:46 pm

JediSkipdogg wrote:
KahrKarrier wrote:If you had that much time to wait for the LEO to come up to you, I might suggest having the necessary forms in hand - CHL, on top,drivers license, registration and proof of insurance. Then, simply keep your hands on the wheel. I did that after getting zapped by radar on Rt 42 by a deputy sheriff and he seemed to appreciate it - to the point that I was let go with a warning only, for 72 in a 55 no less. I was most appreciative myself - I certainly deserved a ticket.
Unless it's all in your front shirt pocket I'm not sure I'd go messing around with that. I don't know many that can easily take their license out of their pocket without quite a bit of movement in a vehicle and sometimes even undoing their seat belt. Start getting fidgety before the officer walks up and he may think you are going for something and order your out of your vehicle at gunpoint. I wait till the officer asks for the info then go for it.
That is my approach as well, no unnecessary fiddling around. Pull over, window down, engine off, dome light on if dark, hands on steering wheel, wait for officer and then inform as soon as he is at the window, talking over him if needed.

I do keep my insurance card, driver license and CHL in my shirt pocket in a small leather "pouch" that was probably a business card holder in a different life. If I need to produce them, they are convenient and don't require me to reach past my sidearm to retrieve them. It also helps when traveling as I often take my wallet out of my pocket for comfort and will sometimes forget to retrieve it when exiting the vehicle. All of the shirts I wear have pockets and it is always in my shirt pocket, just like my gun is always on my hip (or wherever I'm carrying it at the time).
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

les nessman

Post by les nessman » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:29 pm

1stMarDiv wrote: I guess its a good thing he didn't pull someone else over, he might have been shot for the verbal assault, I should have said yea try it buddy and see what happens.
I hope you know that I didn't suggest doing that or anything like it. The side of the road during a police stop is not the time or place to do anything provocative, IMO.

My point is that if that cop really thinks he can detain someone and tear their vehicle apart "just because" then every citizen should be alarmed and angry at such an attitude.

1stMarDiv

Post by 1stMarDiv » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:04 pm

les nessman wrote:
1stMarDiv wrote: I guess its a good thing he didn't pull someone else over, he might have been shot for the verbal assault, I should have said yea try it buddy and see what happens.
I hope you know that I didn't suggest doing that or anything like it. The side of the road during a police stop is not the time or place to do anything provocative, IMO.

My point is that if that cop really thinks he can detain someone and tear their vehicle apart "just because" then every citizen should be alarmed and angry at such an attitude.
No Buddy, I was just saying its easier to just take your medicine and move on. Cops have a tough job, I don't begrudge one for venting some frustration. I have tinted windows so he didn't know what he was getting into. If he was a real jerk he had every right to through the entire book of piss poor driving at me I totally ran a red light after coming to a complete stop, passed on the right and peeled out right in front of him. I might as well have flipped him the bird along with everyone else I offended with my impatience. The Marine Corp brain washed me to respect authority, I personally can't shake it, I guess some would consider that being weak. I don't I just am what I am brother. As a side note, his last words to me were "Semper Fi" SO He basically talked to me like a fellow Marine would, I consider myself pretty lucky actually

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:44 am

1stMarDiv wrote:Well It was my first time being pulled over since I got my CHL in 2011. I made a real stupid traffic move and sooo deserved a ticket. But once I knew I was getting pulled over I pulled to the side of the road and actually waited for the sheriff to catch up to me. I was in a high drug area in Toledo so I rolled all my windows down and hung my hands out the window. my son was in the front seat and i told him to just relax. Well the sheriff walked up obviously pissed off at my bone head move, "Christmas traffic made me do it" Anyhow I informed him I had a firearm and he asked if I had a license, I said yes, he said you know what pisses me off and I quickly said A lot! He agreed and proceeded to tell me i was in a drug area and he should call a canine unit out and disassemble my car in the street
Pretty much sick up to my eyeballs about this drug war vigilance nonsense when I hear what some of the cops still say after all these years of failure. I'm in the Fire/EMS racket and will give you my definition of a "drug area": Pretty much anyplace and everyplace except the most sparsely populated regions. For crying out loud you can easily score heroin, oxycontin, crack, or whatever else everywhere inside the Interstate 275 loop down here around Cincinnati. News reported that on
Tuesday morning the Cincinnati FD went to one house where FIVE adults were all found to be unconscious and unresponsive, they'd all OD'ed on a strong batch of heroin at the same time. Sounds like doses of Narcan brought them all back among the living. occasionally I'm wondering if saving the lives of people that irresponsible really has any merit.
"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09

KahrKarrier

Post by KahrKarrier » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:13 pm

JediSkipdogg wrote:
Doesn't take much fidgeting to pull my wallet from my back pocket, and reach into the center console where I keep the required docs. There is generally plenty of time - once they pull you over they generally call in your plate and that takes a minute or two. In my case, the deputy asked for the docs and then said - Oh, you already have them out. Seemed to appreciate the fact that he didn't have to keep an eye on me as I reached for it while he was standing there.