Page 5 of 5 [ 72 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Author
Post subject: Re: "Permission" to Carry Concealed
Post Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:54 pm
I've never had anyone record my data while making a FTF transfer ... do people actually request that? It's dangerous enough to liberty that FFLs record all that info ...

Generally that's why most of us prefer private sales ... but sometimes you just can't find the "grail gun" within the confines of Ohio or far enough away w/o going through a dealer for at least part of the transaction ... I admit part of the fun is "in the hunt" of a FTF private sale at least for me.

I don't understand why the whole FFL process is even constitutional? Do they get away with it because of the "inter state commerce clause"?

US NAVY VETERAN
Navy Qualified Tactical Action Officer
Navy Qualified Sharpshooter (Pistol, Rifle)
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

"Vigilia aeterna est pretium libertatis"
Post Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:33 pm
Private or not If Im buying something from you for more then a few dollars I want a receipt.. So ya when I buy or sell a gun privately I want a receipt that proves it.

Imagine without it you buy a gun, seller reports it stolen, down the road one way or another it comes back and now it's your word against theirs.
Viking wrote:
I don't understand why the whole FFL process is even constitutional? Do they get away with it because of the "inter state commerce clause"?

I think so, It seems like the federal government uses that as a club, They assert a shit ton of their power thru that.

Seems like it's always coming up in supreme court cases.

• If you can't hit the broad side of a barn, You're not using enough bullets.
  • Zombies are the Trash-men of Humanity.
  • Certified Ammosexual, lolzImage
Post Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:48 pm
Viking wrote:
I've never had anyone record my data while making a FTF transfer ... do people actually request that? It's dangerous enough to liberty that FFLs record all that info ...

Generally that's why most of us prefer private sales ... but sometimes you just can't find the "grail gun" within the confines of Ohio or far enough away w/o going through a dealer for at least part of the transaction ... I admit part of the fun is "in the hunt" of a FTF private sale at least for me.

I believe it has been tried before and it has always been ruled that since the gun at some point ventured across state lines that it is interstate commerce. What I don't think has been pushed fully yet is something like say Hipoint or Chiappa, both made here in Ohio. I think they (not necessarily those company) but other states have ruled that since the metal or other parts come across state lines it is interstate commerce as well.

I'm not aware of the Supreme Court taking any cases on regarding the issue but I seem to recall one making it to their desk and they refused to hear it and therefore the lower district court ruling on the issue stood.
Post Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:16 pm
Kansas bill would allow concealed carry without gun permit!
I hope this passes!

http://news.yahoo.com/kansas-bill-allow ... 36581.html
Post Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:46 am
Ya me too, I figure if that passes in about 2/3rd of the states we might have a shot at it here in Ohio.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:32 am
The bill is co-sponsored by 26 of the 40 senators so hopefully it will make it through. If so, Kansas would join Alaska, Vermont, Wyoming and Arizona as states that allow residents to carry concealed weapons statewide without a permit!
Post Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:25 pm
Good reading!

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/20 ... up-or-down
Post Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:57 am
Quote:
The operative idea for many gun owners: It’s law-abiding citizens, not the state, who should make the decision as to when carrying a gun is reasonable, or necessary. At least anecdotally, a lot of people who proclaim to be open or concealed carriers actually holster a gun only rarely, or arm themselves only for nighttime commutes or journeys into what they perceive as dangerous areas.

I wonder how true this is as a %
I do know many only carry some times, and yet I know many (not on this board) that carry daily.

I know there are some out there who just want one for late night trips to nearby stop-n-robs (gas station/corner market) as well as some who just want one in the glove box.
that's fine.. that's one reason I'd really like to see unlicensed car carry opened up.

However you never know when you'll need it.. that's the whole point.
Personally I carry daily, almost religiously.
If I KNEW I was going into a situation that was 1. unavoidable and 2. going to end deadly.. I would likely take something more substantial then a (miracles of engineering that they are) handgun.

Quote:
He adds: “The fact is, if you conduct your life sensibly, you shouldn’t need to carry a gun all the time.”

This is true on the whole.. America despite the picture the nightly news might paint is a pretty safe country all-in-all..

None of us need a gun until we do..

or as I once heard someone say.. the chance is 0 until it's a 100.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:21 am
Viking wrote:

Go read Wickard v. Filburn, 317 U.S. 111 (1942) then you will see how wicked the commerce clause is. Thank FDR.
Post Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:32 am
JediSkipdogg wrote:
Viking wrote:

I believe it has been tried before and it has always been ruled that since the gun at some point ventured across state lines that it is interstate commerce. What I don't think has been pushed fully yet is something like say Hipoint or Chiappa, both made here in Ohio. I think they (not necessarily those company) but other states have ruled that since the metal or other parts come across state lines it is interstate commerce as well.

I'm not aware of the Supreme Court taking any cases on regarding the issue but I seem to recall one making it to their desk and they refused to hear it and therefore the lower district court ruling on the issue stood.
There are all kinds of FDA cases. The Supremes have even regulated intrastate commerce. The commerce clause has been used to violate all our rights. As long as the courts use "Alice in Wonderland' as their standard of review you will never see decisions based on logical constitutional principles.
Post Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:52 pm
stoll25390 wrote:
It's interesting that the good people of Vermont do have have to ask permission to concealed carry. I don't see why the good people of Ohio need to submit personal info such as fingerprints, background checks etc. to get permission to concealed carry. Is it really any of the govt's business? After all, criminals don't go through the permit process.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/gov ... -a-permit/
Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:15 pm
House Bill 147: Concealed handguns-revise licensing bill has just be introduced. See link below. Now is the time to contact your representatives if you're in favor of Constitutional Carry!

http://news.yahoo.com/ohio-bill-relaxes ... 03803.html

Find my Legislators: https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legisl ... egislators
 Page 5 of 5 [ 72 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5