Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: Moving Michigan to Ohio CPL to CHL and local courses
Post Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:00 pm
As the title suggests I will be moving to Ohio from Michigan permanently soon and would like to get started on getting an Ohio CHL. I have a residence in OH currently and have switched over all my paperwork but I also still have a home in MI and work there for a few more months. I looked at the CHL in OH info and I didn't see if there was any crossover in courses between MI and OH. I completed the NRA Use of the firearm in the home course as is standard in MI for CPL (Concealed pistol license) and obtained a MI CPL after completeing that process. Is there any conversion of MI CPL to OH CHL? Will I need to take the OH CHL course regardless of my MI CPL? I don't mind at all as I would like to be more informed on OH vs MI laws and their differences but I would like to minimize delay in switching between states and permits. I believe I meet the regs with no criminal record of any sort,no tickets,arrests or mental/DV issues etc... I have OH residency for 5 months plus. Lastly can anyone recommend a good CHL course in or near the Bluffton/Ada area or preferably between Lima and Findlay? I'm still new to the region and looking for good gun clubs,ranges,stores and training.

Any help or info is appreciated.
Post subject: Re: Moving Michigan to Ohio CPL to CHL and local courses
Post Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:22 pm
Welcome to Ohio!

You will need to take an Ohio class as there are specific requirements that must be met by the class that would not have been met by your MI class. Since you've already established residency in Ohio you can take the class and apply immediately, and it doesn't sound like you have any disqualifiers.

I don't know who in your area gives a good CHL course, so I'll leave that for others.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:38 pm
Thanks for the info. I'll look for a local course. Hopefully someone has some recommendation or good experience to share.
Post Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:13 am
zeitgeist wrote:
Thanks for the info. I'll look for a local course. Hopefully someone has some recommendation or good experience to share.

Ohio law is changing ... HB234 ?? goes into effect in less than 90 days (signed around xmas) and cuts class from 12 hours to 8.
Just an FYI
Post Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:18 pm
Pops Fun wrote:
zeitgeist wrote:

Ohio law is changing ... HB234 ?? goes into effect in less than 90 days (signed around xmas) and cuts class from 12 hours to 8.
Just an FYI

I appreciate the info and I would like to wait until only 8 hr course is required but I don't want there to be any issue once I make the final move and surrender my MI permit.

I found Insight training in Lima which is close.
 Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]