Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author
Post subject: New Map On Who Will Honor Ohio (Effective 3/23/15)
Post Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:53 pm
This Map does not become effective until March 23, 2015 when the new law goes into effect. Updated map on who will honor Ohio. GA and CO will honor Ohio on that date as their law states they will honor anyone who honors them. Texas and Wisconsin will most likely honor Ohio in the future. Texas as they will honor anyone who honors them and Wisconsin because Ohio has went to the NICS Check. Thing about Wisconsin they will most likely only honor Ohio permits issued on or after March 23, 2015 as that is the date they start using the NICS Check. They did this with other states when they went to the NICS Check and started honoring them. PA could sign but their AG doesn't do things logically for lack of better words and words that don't belong on a forum.

The map also shows Michigan, Colorado, South Carolina and Florida as only honoring the Ohio Resident permit. Ohio will start issuing to certain non residents starting March 23rd so the map has to reflect that those non resident permits are not valid in those 4 states. Those states laws state only resident permits from the states they honor. It didn't matter in the past as Ohio didn't issue to non residents.

This map belongs to the Buckeye Firearms Association and they can use it for any purpose they wish.

Attachments:

BuckeyeFirearmsAssoc3_23_15.gif
BuckeyeFirearmsAssoc3_23_15.gif [ 55.59 KiB | Viewed 4906 times ]

Post subject: Re: New Map On Who Will Honor Ohio (Effective 3/23/15)
Post Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:42 pm
Gary, I was under the impression that NH and ME would also begin recognizing an OH license since we will start recognizing theirs. Is that not the case?

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:57 pm
No it is not. NH and Maine are very weird. They will honor PA who requires you be 21 and alive with no Felonies to get a permit but won't sign with states that have greater requirements. I don't know how they do it. Both states say they need a signed agreement. Ohio AG should contact them. It looks to me like your AG is very pro gun so he might have already contacted the states that don't honor Ohio yet. Time will tell but CO and GA are the only two states that have automatic reciprocity for states that honor them.

I do know that WV contacted Maine and tried to get an agreement with them a year ago. Nothing. NH does have a bill in that if it passes they will sign with anyone who signs with them. Time will tell.

What to add I did talk to my contact in Colorado that takes care of reciprocity and they had not heard anything from Ohio on their law change and honoring each other.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:05 pm
I'll have to dig back and see if I can figure out why I thought ME would recognize OH after we start recognizing them, but for NH, doesn't the following apply?

Quote:
Title XII
159:6-d Full Faith and Credit for Licenses From Other States; Reciprocity.–
Notwithstanding the provisions of RSA 159:6, no nonresident holding a current and valid license to carry a loaded pistol or revolver in the state in which he resides or who is a peace officer in the state in which he resides, shall be required to obtain a license to carry a loaded pistol or revolver within this state if:
I. Such nonresident carries upon his person the license held from the state in which he resides; and
II. The state in which such person is a resident provides a reciprocal privilege for residents of this state

NRA Life Member
Post Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:20 pm
Justa Shooter, That might be what the law states but look at the following link

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp ... plupr.html

and look at the link right under the states listed.

Now NH Law states that NH will only honor Residents of any state they honor. So if they honored all states they would state they honor all states resident permits and not just the resident permits from the states listed. Also NH requires a person applying for a non resident permit to have a permit from their State of Residence before they will issue them a NH Non Resident. Not much need for a NH Non Resident if they honor all. People got them for reciprocity mainly with PA but then they hiked the price of the non resident from $20 to $100.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:48 am
Gary:

OH's current AG was a bit of an anti back in the day. He's apparently following the "Party Line", or at least the Governor's lead now, though. I don't see him doing anything until he's prodded a bit.

FWIW, PA will still happily give you a non-resident license, but application now must be "in person", and not all PA Sheriff's are willing to participate. Same $20 or $25 (I forget).

I was all set to renew NH right before the price increase, but managed to put the note someplace as a "tickler". Found it and cut the check as I found out that I was about ten days too late to save $75. Ooops....

PA's AG is an anti, as far as we can tell. I doubt if she'll do anything on our side.

And, finally, THANK YOU! for all your efforts in this area. Speaking as an individual and a BFA volunteer, too. Appreciated.

(I generally only go to PA and TX - I live about 20 miles from the OH-PA border - so much of this isn't of much concern here, but you never know where she who must be obeyed might want to go....)

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:21 pm
Just got a reminder post card from the Centre County (Pa.) Sheriff's office that my Pa. carry license is set to expire mid May. Although it's a bit of a drive, I've booked some vacation time right before then and will probably go renew in person there. Yes I know there are counties closer to Ohio's border that are "gun friendly" in this regard but I want minimum hassle, no problems with "We don't renew licenses issued by other counties" type nonsense that could be encountered going elsewhere.

Now, if by some near miracle Pennsylvania's AG starts being cooperative with reciprocity before then, it would save me the trip, but that sure sounds unlikely.

Centre County is supposed to be pretty scenic anyhow, and I've never been through that part of the state.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:18 pm
Quote:
by some near miracle Pennsylvania's AG starts being cooperative with reciprocity before then, it would save me the trip, but that sure sounds unlikely.

I let my Centre Co permit expire with the hope that we won't need a non-res anymore, if I'm wrong Meadville is a quick trip for me.

An LCP is my CC (constant companion)
Post Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:57 pm
petergunn wrote:
Quote:
by some near miracle Pennsylvania's AG starts being cooperative with reciprocity before then, it would save me the trip, but that sure sounds unlikely.

I let my Centre Co permit expire with the hope that we won't need a non-res anymore, if I'm wrong Meadville is a quick trip for me.

It sure looks to me that if the PA AG follows the law, an OH license should be recognized after March 23. But, considering the PA AG has been indicted for breaking the law...

NRA Life Member
Post Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:23 pm
Brian:

Lawrence County (New Castle PA) treats a new (to them) applicant as a new application, even if you're renewing Centre. Otherwise, other than the Courthouse being a little tricky to find, the only downside is that they want LOCAL (i.e., in Lawrence County) references. No problem doing that except you don't walk out of the Courthouse with your new license on the spot.

I think Meadville doesn't do the local references. Lawrence actually called my references!

Centre County is in the State College area. Might be a great "Fall Foilage" ride. Or you can check out that bridge at Emblenton (I think I spelled that right). I was going to do that, but found out that my PA License expired "tomorrow" as I was getting ready to renew my OH Driver's License.

Took about two weeks to get the new card from PA. No idea what, if any, grace period on carrying without the license, but I was "good" on the day I was there, and while I had a stop to make in Enon Valley (Mastercast), didn't plan on being back in PA for a couple weeks anyhow :D....

I don't trust PA's AG.... She may be responsible for the new "in person" law, but I'm not sure. I like the idea of a "credit card" v.s. the "scrap of paper", but you could copy and carry your own version if desired. Can't do that now....

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:42 pm
Brian D. wrote:
Just got a reminder post card from the Centre County (Pa.) Sheriff's office that my Pa. carry license is set to expire mid May. Although it's a bit of a drive, I've booked some vacation time right before then and will probably go renew in person there. Yes I know there are counties closer to Ohio's border that are "gun friendly" in this regard but I want minimum hassle, no problems with "We don't renew licenses issued by other counties" type nonsense that could be encountered going elsewhere.

Honestly, it doesn't make any difference if it is a renewal or new issue - the app is the same, fee is the same, process is the same...

Meadville (Crawford County) is easy to deal with and doesn't require local references. Same with Butler and Erie as I understand it. Crawford didn't even call my references for what its worth.

NRA Life Member
Post Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:56 pm
I was hoping PA would honor ours. I go through Washington and Green county, either of those good to get a non resident? Do they still want references?
Post Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:03 pm
what's to stop PA from honoring OH even if OH doesn't?

Wasn't there a few states in the past that honored OH even though Ohio did not return the favor?
I travel out of state so rarely I don't keep up on reciprocity agreements.

• If you can't hit the broad side of a barn, You're not using enough bullets.
  • Zombies are the Trash-men of Humanity.
  • Certified Ammosexual, lolzImage
Post Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:25 pm
Ohio statutes required certain criteria for issuing permit/licenses before they would sign an agreement with that state. PA did not meet their criteria. Starting March 23 Ohio will honor all other state permit/licenses. PA statutes do not have any criteria that the other state must have to sign a reciprocity agreement with another state. They did in the past sign with any state who would sign with them. The PA AG has the authority by statute to sign agreements. The PA AG's in the past would sign with anyone who would sign with them. The present AG will not do that and has even dropped one agreement with one state. By PA statute the AG has all the authority in signing agreements.

Some states did honor Ohio and Ohio would not honor them. That is because 17 other states honor all other states permit/licenses. They don't care if a state does not honor them or not. With Ohio joining in honoring all states there will be 18 states that honor all other states.

Ohio will now sign an agreement with any state if that state requires a signed agreement. Some states do require a signed agreement.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:30 pm
In addition to what Gary said, from what I see, PA could recognize an Ohio license as a Category 2 license, without a formal reciprocal agreement:

Quote:
Category 2: States that have statutory reciprocity under 6106(b)(15) of the Uniform Firearms Act.

[Category 2] states have been granted statutory reciprocity without a formal written agreement under 6106(b)(15), based on the determination of the Attorney General that the other state has granted reciprocity to Pennsylvania license holders, and that the other state's laws governing firearms are similar.

Note that it says "based on the determination of the Attorney General" - therein lies the rub: the PA AG is an anti and is not required to make that determination, so she probably won't.

NRA Life Member
 Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next