Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
Author
Message
Post subject: conflict with new oh ccw law
Post Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:31 pm
Hello Folks, I am a 66 yr. old male, Living far west and north in williams county ohio.I have been carrying on a non resident virginia liscense I have been an ohio resident for most of my life. I read the new law concerning residents using out of state non res ccw as no longer valid.. Naturally I panicked I dont care to buy a bunch of ammo for ohio range testing. I have probably over 35 years experience with handguns and rifles. Everthing from the Service to Private security throughout the usa. I emailed ohio attourney site, They replied via land line the very next day . They told me my non res virginia ccw IS Valid .....What do you think ? I dont know who to believe the new written word or word from the mans own office? Help a brother out. thanks Jimicat
Top
Offline
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:56 pm
Posts: 4
Post subject: Re: conflict with new oh ccw law
Post Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:51 pm
Your non-resident VA license is valid for you to carry as an Ohio resident because Ohio has a reciprocal agreement with VA. See See ORC 109.69 (B) (1)

Quote:
(B)

(1) If, on or after the effective date of this amendment, a person who is a resident of this state has a valid concealed handgun license that was issued by another license-issuing state that has entered into a reciprocity agreement with the attorney general under division (A)(1) of this section or the attorney general determines that the eligibility requirements imposed by that license-issuing state for that license are substantially comparable to the eligibility requirements for a concealed handgun license issued under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code, the license issued by the other license-issuing state shall be recognized in this state, shall be accepted and valid in this state, and grants the person the same right to carry a concealed handgun in this state as a person who was issued a concealed handgun license under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code.


The new law that covers all licenses, but only for non-residents here temporarily or for Ohio residents for the first 6 months of residency only applies to those states we do not have a reciprocal agreement with.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Top
Offline
User avatar
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:36 am
Posts: 705
Location: Akron/Canton
Post subject: Re: conflict with new oh ccw law
Post Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:14 pm
JustaShooter wrote:
Your non-resident VA license is valid for you to carry as an Ohio resident because Ohio has a reciprocal agreement with VA. See See ORC 109.69 (B) (1)

Quote:
(B)

(1) If, on or after the effective date of this amendment, a person who is a resident of this state has a valid concealed handgun license that was issued by another license-issuing state that has entered into a reciprocity agreement with the attorney general under division (A)(1) of this section or the attorney general determines that the eligibility requirements imposed by that license-issuing state for that license are substantially comparable to the eligibility requirements for a concealed handgun license issued under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code, the license issued by the other license-issuing state shall be recognized in this state, shall be accepted and valid in this state, and grants the person the same right to carry a concealed handgun in this state as a person who was issued a concealed handgun license under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code.


The new law that covers all licenses, but only for non-residents here temporarily or for Ohio residents for the first 6 months of residency only applies to those states we do not have a reciprocal agreement with.
Top
Offline
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:56 pm
Posts: 4
Post subject: Re: conflict with new oh ccw law
Post Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:16 pm
I'm shocked that the AG's office gave the guy legal advice.
Top
Offline
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:45 am
Posts: 2718
Location: Too close to Cincinnati
Post subject: Re: conflict with new oh ccw law
Post Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:21 pm
Thanks for the knowledge it is appreciated by myself and my shoe cobbler that replaces the heels on my left boot, from dragging it due to the scrap iron strapped to it. Much appreciated j cat
Top
Offline
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:56 pm
Posts: 4
Post subject: Re: conflict with new oh ccw law
Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:05 am
jimicat wrote:
Naturally I panicked I dont care to buy a bunch of ammo for ohio range testing.

jimicat:

It depends a bit on your instructor, but when I took the course in 2004, they asked us to bring 50 rounds and a reasonably safe handgun. Your instructor, meantime, will specify if any special type of ammunition is required - in my case, the range we used only permits lead - no jackets or hollow points.

(I still use the range - joined the club :D.)

I've got you beat by a few years (I'll be 69 in May), and have been carrying since the late 60's, although I really didn't do much shooting until 2004. I'd forgotten how much fun it was. (Private Security, Auxiliary Police, and all kinds of other unrelated things.)

Anyway, $100-$200, depending on the instructor, will get you licensed, and cover a box of ammunition, too, even at today's prices :)....

(We need the numbers :mrgreen: .)

Also, the OH license may protect you against goofy things that other states come up with, and there's a zinger hiding in the "School Zone" law at the Federal level that, in effect, makes it a crime to even drive through a school safety zone unless you have a RESIDENT license for the state you're in! I doubt if anybody will enforce this, but....

Since you're a new member, Welcome Aboard! There's a sticky at http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10097 that you should have a look at, but it's not mandatory, and may prove hazardous to your health. But you will learn all about the little dog in my avatar....

Enjoy

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Top
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:01 pm
Posts: 6724
Location: Youngstown OH
Post subject: Re: conflict with new oh ccw law
Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:39 am
jimicat wrote:
Hello Folks, I am a 66 yr. old male, Living far west and north in williams county ohio.I have been carrying on a non resident virginia liscense I have been an ohio resident for most of my life. I read the new law concerning residents using out of state non res ccw as no longer valid.. Naturally I panicked I dont care to buy a bunch of ammo for ohio range testing.


Welcome. As Stu already mentioned, you really won't need much ammunition to get through an Ohio based course with whatever practice and qualification shooting there will be. By comparison the state's approved law enforcement qualification course that LEO's must get through annually consists of a grand total of 25 rounds. And a pathetically easy course of fire to boot.

Every few years the Ohio Peace Officers Training Academy (OPOTA) attempts to toughen things up a bit but the immediately get negative feedback from the firearms training officers in the big cities. (Let's say those urban departments have a different set of priorities than folks like us would hope, and leave it at that.)

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Top
Offline
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:07 pm
Posts: 1962
Location: SW Ohio
Post subject: Re: conflict with new oh ccw law
Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:08 am
Thank you all that responded, I will keep in mind your advice on getting ohio ccw, Your input has proven what a classy fraternety you have here. Thanks again J C
Top
Offline
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:56 pm
Posts: 4
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Search for:
Jump to: