Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: Any Issues in Hamilton County?
Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:59 pm
Are there any "issues" with Hamilton County? I've had a CHL now for five years and it was time to renew. I live in Hamilton Co. but when I originally applied there were some "issues" in Hamilton County, so I applied in Clermont County. Everything went very smoothly. There is another CLEO in Hamilton Co. now and I asked around before I applied for my renewal and the folks to whom I spoke all said there were no problems. Of course, I also checked here. Well I made an appointment to submit my renewal application as required and showed up at the appropriate time. The folks were nice and all but then they said that my renewal probably would not be processed before the end of the month when my permit expired, but there was a 30 day "grace period" after that. However, they quickly added, "it may take 2-3 months with the summer holidays and all, so you won't be legal after July 30." Not that it matters and I certainly wouldn't do anything illegal, but I was just wondering if it was typical to take that long to process a renewal or was it just a Hamilton County "issue"? Thanks for your time and attention.
Post subject: Re: Any Issues in Hamilton County?
Post Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:01 am
Well, they have 45 days, not 2-3 months. Also, where did you apply at? The downtown location (justice center) or the Hamilton Avenue location (headquarters)? I've heard the Hamilton Avenue location is extremely fast. I've heard no recent complaints about them though.
Post Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:20 am
I renewed 4 months ago at the patrol station. Dropped everything off on Friday and got the call to pick it up on Monday morning.
Post Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:42 pm
Thank you.
Post Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:01 am
Well, it's been five weeks now, having turning in the renewal application on June 17. I made the appointment and submitted the renewal application at the patrol station on Hamilton Ave. So, I wouldn't call that "extremely fast." In fact, when I was there, I was anything but impressed. First, they did not seem to understand that I was applying for a renewal, even though that was the box that I'd checked on the form. Second, they really were not too focused on me but rather some other issue in the office. Third, when they gave me a receipt for my payment, they had spelled my name wrong. I asked about that and whether they had my name correct on the renewal application. They just blew that off as "no big deal." So at this point, my question is what do I do? Do I just wait some more until the official "45 days" is up? Wait out the "2-3 months" they told me it might take? Try to check on the status with a phone call, which I suspect will only annoy them? Or ???? Suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Post Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:16 am
dksck wrote:
when they gave me a receipt for my payment, they had spelled my name wrong. I asked about that and whether they had my name correct on the renewal application.

Considering you (presumably) filled out the application yourself, I would think the name is correct - right?

dksck wrote:
So at this point, my question is what do I do? Do I just wait some more until the official "45 days" is up? Wait out the "2-3 months" they told me it might take? Try to check on the status with a phone call, which I suspect will only annoy them? Or ????

I would wait until the legally-allowed 45 days is up and call them for a status - and regardless of their response, ask when you can pick it up since the law says they "shall issue" and have 45 days which are now up. If they say it is "business days", inform them that the law says "45 days" not "45 business days", so it is calendar days.

If they still aren't willing to give you your license, as a last resort you could ask if they can transfer you to the clerk of courts to find out the process to file a writ of mandamus to force them to fulfil their official duties under the law...

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:58 am
Thanks again. I will do as suggested and wait the 45 days.
 Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]