Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author
Post subject: Re: Holsters and Small of Back carry
Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:48 pm
For an example of SOB carry in action, watch NCIS New Orleans. It really seems to work well with the casual attire they wear.
Post subject: Re: Holsters and Small of Back carry
Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:59 am
IsraelisJewish:

Welcome Aboard!

There's a sticky at http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10097 that you should take a look at, but it's not mandatory. Might be sleep inducing, though.... Just some idea of who's here, and how this place works. And who the little dog in my avatar is :D....

I'm no great believer in shoulder rigs or SOB carry, but the guys here have probably tried everything that's not immoral and.... :mrgreen: I've been doing (right handed) IWB or OWB at about 5:00 for almost 50 years, with a preference for OWB. I'm big enough to conceal about anything about the size of a 1911 and down, so size really hasn't been an issue.

I have one Kydex holster - came with an S&W M&P40FS. I use it once in a while, but not often. 'Round the house, it's an M&P40C or 40FS, either in a leather top-break, or in that Kydex thing. "Outside", it's one of three 1911's - two are Officer's-sized, and one's a full size, all in an inexpensive DiSantis top-break, although I've got another OWB that'll hold both smaller 1911's. (It's in need of repair. A snap no longer works properly, and it likes to switch the safety off by itself. One of these days....)

Guess the point is to USE and practice with anything you plan on wearing. Do the practice with an empty gun, and with no ammunition in the same room. It also helps to have a safe zone past the "target", too, just in case.

There's also an S&W Shield in .40S&W that lives in a pocket holster. Every once in a while....

A major point is that you paid a pile, so to speak, for the gun, and shouldn't cheap out on the holster. It's almost as big a part of your ability to defend yourself as the gun....

I also suggest finding an "Uncle Mike's" dealer nearby and grabbing up a few of those that look interesting. If you find something you like, you should be able to find a leather rig that's the same (or close enough) that'll work well. The leftover Uncle Mike's can be used on the range. They're NOT good for storage - dampness issues....

I've got one of those for the range, BTW. We tend to shoot from anywhere from about 50' all the way to 10' or so, and found that it was very convenient to have some place to store the gun while doing quick "fixes" out on the range. (Helping another shooter clear a stoppage, for example.) Our range is just a big room with a backstop at one end. Marked targets hang in front of the backstop. Because there are no lanes or separators, serious range etiquette is important. We are supposed to have seven (or fewer) shooters at any given time, so it works out fairly well.

Where are you located? One of the older guys (well, more experienced :D) may be able to help you with holster and/or gun choices.

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
 Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2