Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: Ohio CHL stats thru 3rd Quarter 2015
Post Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:14 am
Here are the totals for the period April 2004 through Sept. 2015.

Code:
Licenses Issued                  567,773
Licenses Renewed               212,301
Licenses Suspended               8,524
Licenses Revoked               9,967
Licenses Denied                  8,003
License Processes Suspended         790
Temporary Licenses  Issued         748
Temporary Licenses  Suspended      9
Temporary Licenses  Revoked         20

Temporary Licenses  Denied         27

Licenses Expired               235,026
Total licenses in effect         535,081
Percent of expired renewed         90.33%

Please bear in mind that that total of 535,081 is a CALCULATED number from REPORTED values with deductions made to account for licenses being past their expiration date.
What is NOT deducted is licenses canceled by Sheriffs due to license holders moving out of state and licenses that have yet to lapse whose owners have died. There may be other causes of that number being high but it definitely sets the upper limit and it is doubtful that it is off by more than a few thousand.
Someone would have to compare the age distribution of Ohio CHL holders and the mortality rates for the same age group(s) over the latest 5 years. Obviously, after 5 years the license has expired so it doesn't matter that the licensee has also.

Note: I see that the forum software hasn't been fixed in the last year and the code function is still not working. If you wish to see the data in a more readable format see:
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86391

AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Post subject: Re: Ohio CHL stats thru 3rd Quarter 2015
Post Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:46 pm
If I'm doing my math correctly, 535 thousand of 8 million adults = 6.7% licensed citizens. That is better than I expected.
Post Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:08 pm
Your math looks right to me, color of law. To put it another way, that makes it roughly one out of every 15 adults. Now, how many of those actually carry regularly, much less all the time, is a different matter entirely.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:23 am
I had been using 7.5 million as the number of adults in Ohio eligible to get an Ohio CHL since that was the number mentioned by Toby Hoover and her group.
I reran the numbers yesterday and I agree, 8 million is a better estimate as far as I'm concerned.

AlanM
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Post Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:04 pm
JustaShooter wrote:
Your math looks right to me, color of law. To put it another way, that makes it roughly one out of every 15 adults. Now, how many of those actually carry regularly, much less all the time, is a different matter entirely.

Never expected we'd get that good a percentage with a license. Don't forget we've got some unlicensed open carriers too.

This is only a guess based on my years as a carrier myself, and time volunteering at gun shows for OFCC: Maybe somewhere between 10%-20% of the licensees actually tote their blaster(s) with regularity. I lean towards the 10%. So many rural/suburban folks say things like: "I only carry when going to a bad part of town" or "I live in a place where we don't have much crime".

You guys know what I'm saying here.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:32 pm
Brian D. wrote:
Never expected we'd get that good a percentage with a license. Don't forget we've got some unlicensed open carriers too.

Yeah, but I'm thinking that's barely a blip on the radar.

Brian D. wrote:
This is only a guess based on my years as a carrier myself, and time volunteering at gun shows for OFCC: Maybe somewhere between 10%-20% of the licensees actually tote their blaster(s) with regularity. I lean towards the 10%. So many rural/suburban folks say things like: "I only carry when going to a bad part of town" or "I live in a place where we don't have much crime".

You guys know what I'm saying here.

I'm leaning toward 20-25% based on my discussions with folks at gun shows and friends, etc. But for sure, the single most common response I get is that they got their CHL so they could have a gun in their car (and no, I don't consider that "carrying regularly"). So, Ohio's vehicle carry law is apparently what drove many folks to get their CHL.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:42 pm
That mindset of having it along in the car is "plenty good enough" mystifies me. So...if you're out doing errands you'll only be subject to attack while in the vehicle, not coming or going nor in the business you're patronizing?

That seems like a common thought process, seems like denial of reality. Discussion for a different day and thread.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:44 am
I only carry when I feel the need.....
Post Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:46 am
color of law wrote:

Me too. However, that would be near 100% of the time. It is only absent in the rare times that I have to go to a location that prohibits it by law. :wink:

You can't get something for nothing unless someone, somewhere is getting nothing for something!

Sig P238
S&W Shield 9
Ruger SR9c
Post Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:27 am
findlayref19 wrote:
color of law wrote:

Me too. However, that would be near 100% of the time. It is only absent in the rare times that I have to go to a location that prohibits it by law. :wink:

EXACTLY how and when I carry! Always.

AlanM
Post Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:01 pm
I intentionally did not use smiley faces. Those that know me well know it is rare for me not to be armed.
Post Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:03 pm
http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/annual-a ... ear-record
Quote:
Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine (R) has released the Concealed Handgun License (CHL) statistics for the fourth quarter of 2015 and the annual report. 2015 saw another increase in demand. It replaced 2014 as the second busiest year (behind 2013) in the history of the concealed carry program, ending with a record 491,000 Ohioans licensed to discretely carry firearms.
That is a small drop to 6.1% of the population with a CCL. That does not count those that open carry without a CCL.

I never thought we would ever hit these numbers. :)
 Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]