Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
Author
Post Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:20 pm
I just got my concealed carry license and have been carrying as much as practical. Today I saw this sign at Kroger. I carried in anyway because I thought the signed referred to serving alcohol, and that the sign is outdated or false since the new bill in 2011. Turns out, this Kroger has a wine tasting bar in it. Who knew? Anyway, what's the deal? I thought carrying in alcohol establishments was legal now. I thought Kroger played by the state and local directives.

Well, I can't get the pic small enough to post. The sign says if you're carrying in a class d permit location, you may be committing a felony and subject to 1-2 years.
Post subject: Re: New carrier, old question?
Post Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:49 pm
Here is my answer I guess. Misleading in my opinion.

http://wdtn.com/2015/04/17/kroger-beave ... n-not-new/

USAF Retired, Civil Servant, NRA Member
---
Walther PPQ-9, Kel-Tec PF9, Maverick 88 Security 6, and a box of AR parts
Post Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:20 pm
If you have a CCL the liquor sign has no effect on you. Open or conceal carry as long as you have your CCL on your person. Open carry without a CCL and not serving liquor is perfectly OK in Kroger. The store must give you notice that they are serving before you enter. Example: wine tasting taking place between Xa.m. and Yp.m. If no sign then no notice. If you go into the store and no sign and you see wine tasting going on then leave.

Look, Kroger is a mishmash of companies. Most of the liquor sections of Kroger stores are not owned by Kroger. Ask to see the Class D liquor permit. The term "Kroger" is generic and is thrown around like an old dish rag.

Further, be very careful in Kroger. They do not train their employees. They do not train their security agents, off duty cops or otherwise.

The evil Red circle sign is a different issue.

I know what I'm talking about.....
Post Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:55 am
COL:

As I have it, the presence of alcohol in a store is irrelevant to a CHL holder as long as he/she is NOT drinking.

Kroger can post the whole store if they desire, but that's the sole requirement.

I can't speak for Open Carry v.s. liquor (especially for those unlicensed).

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:47 pm
Stu, COL has it exactly right. To me a big part of the problem is that the Ohio Department of Liquor Control refuses to change the wording of those signs. They date back way before licensed concealed carry was created in 2004.

If I was Governor, that would get fixed!!!

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:57 pm
Brian D. wrote:
Stu, COL has it exactly right. To me a big part of the problem is that the Ohio Department of Liquor Control refuses to change the wording of those signs. They date back way before licensed concealed carry was created in 2004.

If I was Governor, that would get fixed!!!

Not that I defend any government agency, but the wording on the sign is statutorily mandated: 4301.637 Warning cards as to underage persons and person carrying firearms. http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4301.637v1

My problem is the gun people that confuse the liquor sign with the evil big red circle sign.
Post Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:03 pm
You know what I mean CoL. The liquor control creeps know those signs are now poorly worded and confusing. If they asked the OGA to change the statutory language, it would happen.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:54 am
Brian D. wrote:
You know what I mean CoL. The liquor control creeps know those signs are now poorly worded and confusing. If they asked the OGA to change the statutory language, it would happen.

Oh, I agree with you. I just pointed it out for others so they knew where that sign comes from, statutorily. Sorry for the confusion.
 Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]