Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
Author
Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:13 pm
Hi Everyone, This is my first post. I apologize if this has been gone over,but I was unable to locate it.

I pride myself on being a fairly intelligent human being, however I am unable to make sense of the laws regarding firearm transport.

I am a valid CHL holder. I was wondering what the proper procedure for transporting my AR-15 to the range would be as far as ammo/gun separate, magazines full vs empty. etc.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Post subject: Re: Transporting a Rifle
Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:43 pm
michaelghorn wrote:
Hi Everyone, This is my first post. I apologize if this has been gone over,but I was unable to locate it.

I pride myself on being a fairly intelligent human being, however I am unable to make sense of the laws regarding firearm transport.

I am a valid CHL holder. I was wondering what the proper procedure for transporting my AR-15 to the range would be as far as ammo/gun separate, magazines full vs empty. etc.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Welcome to the forum! Yeah it's complicated.

Regarding magazines, because you have a CHL they can be loaded and be anywhere except inserted into the firearm.

Quote:
A person who is carrying a valid concealed handgun license may have one or more magazines or speed loaders containing ammunition anywhere in a vehicle without further restriction, as long as no ammunition is in a firearm, other than a handgun, in the vehicle other than as permitted under any provision of this chapter.
Source:ORC 2923.16(L)

Note the AR itself must be unloaded, and either be
Quote:
(1) In a closed package, box, or case;

(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;

(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;

(4) If the firearm is at least twenty-four inches in overall length as measured from the muzzle to the part of the stock furthest from the muzzle and if the barrel is at least eighteen inches in length, either in plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight.
Source: ORC 2923.16(C)(1)-(4)
Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:11 pm
Thanks DTOM,
Now it's perfectly clear. This was driving me nuts.
Post Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:26 am
michaelghorn:

Welcome aboard!

I see you've gotten a good answer. Overall, with a CHL, the idea is that an Officer can easily see you load the weapon to bring it to bear. So keeping the ammunition out of the weapon and somewhat separated is really about it. I would use a case, but tossing it into the trunk with the magazines in the glove box, for example, would be sufficient. The mags in the trunk (or a pickup's toolbox, or something of that nature) may be overkill v.s. just tossing them into the trunk, too, but should quiet the more persnickety Officers.

There's a sticky at http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10097 that you should have a look at, but it's not mandatory, and may be hazardous to your health. Or at least sleep inducing. It's definitely not necessary to read the whole thing.... (It needs revision, too, but Peaches is on my lap and it's a little hard to type right now....)

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
 Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]