Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
Author
Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:10 pm
I live in Columbus and since the weather was nice this weekend I took a drive to Mohican to try some fishing in the colder streams(Clear Creek). I stopped at a covered bridge and followed the stream going upstream fishing along the way. Probably close to a mile upstream I came to a dam and saw a sign saying owned by Corps of Engineers. I thought oh crap, am I okay concealed carry or not? There were no markers that I was entering C0E property. How is one supposed to know which area they can enter or how close to the dam I can legally be while carrying?
Post subject: Re: Corps of Engineers land
Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:12 pm
This has been discussed quite a bit on other forums in Ohio and across the U.S. for that matter. Obviously, these dams are often located inside/next to a state park, national forest, etc. where carry is legal outside of buildings. You could attempt to look up actual boundary lines via the computer, but I for one have found little useful information, and at that it was somewhat conflicted depending on who printed the map. In other words, nobody has (best of my knowledge) ever figured out a solid answer.

But, it's not like there's such a thing as a CoE Police Department, mostly they depend on the FBI or U.S. Marshals for any enforcement duties. Can't remember ever seeing field offices for either of those groups out in the parks, by the lakes, you know?

My advice--worth at least what you paid for it--would be to stay off the dam structure while armed. Do have a current fishing license when fishing, make sure your state issued boat license is current, etc. LE of the state and county level are still encountered in the parks from time to time.

Congress has had bills to address this issue on the table for years now, but none ever seem to make it to a floor vote.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:31 am
Brian D. wrote:

But, it's not like there's such a thing as a CoE Police Department, mostly they depend on the FBI or U.S. Marshals for any enforcement duties. Can't remember ever seeing field offices for either of those groups out in the parks, by the lakes, you know? .

Actually there are COE police although they are rare or non existent in this area. Definitely, in some places like Dale Hollow Lake in southern Kentucky, the COE contracts with the local sheriff, but that is mostly for the COE campground. It is very unlikely to see any law enforcement actually out in the woods except where there is illegal 4wheeler use. (Some guys were caught and jailed at Paint Creek a while back for taking their vehicles on the horse trails.)

But the boundaries are a definite problem. At many state parks, there is park ownership, state wildlife ownership, and COE. Each with different rules for everything. And generally the boundaries are vague and it is difficult to get factual information.

Ken
Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:57 am
Yeah Ken you are correct. Wish Congress would follow through and pass one of the bills they've floated on these issues. It's a gray area nightmare presently.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
 Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]