Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: CHL Storing a Handgun in Car
Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:08 pm
I am in the process of getting my CHL (Waiting for it to be mailed to me.). Question: When carrying and I cannot enter a location due to it being a "no gun" area, I plan to put my gun in a locked box in my car. In doing so do I need to unload the gun and place the loaded magazine in a separate container?
Post subject: Re: CHL Storing a Handgun in Car
Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:27 pm
CB707 wrote:
I am in the process of getting my CHL (Waiting for it to be mailed to me.). Question: When carrying and I cannot enter a location due to it being a "no gun" area, I plan to put my gun in a locked box in my car. In doing so do I need to unload the gun and place the loaded magazine in a separate container?
No.
You could tape it to the inside of the windshield if you would like, but I would not advise it. If someone is going to be in the car without a CHL then I would lock-up the gun if your not in the car.
Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:41 am
CB707:

Welcome Aboard!

COL has pretty well answered you. A licensee has no obligation to unload a handgun when leaving it in a car, and no real limitation on whether or not it's loaded, or where either or both are stored.

However, a long gun cannot be transported in a vehicle when loaded.

If there's no licensee driving the vehicle (IANAL, but I'd prefer in the vehicle), such as valet parking or letting your second-youngest niece drive the car, unloading it and storing the ammunition separately probably can do the job. A round in the chamber presumes that the weapon is loaded.

With a very few exceptions - places I must patronize - I don't go into prohibited places.

There's a sticky at http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10097 that you should have a look at, but it's not mandatory, and may be hazardous to your health.

Congratulations on the new CHL, Enjoy!

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:52 am
I was lately having a chat with one of the owners of our semi-famous local chain of barbeque ribs restaurants. I see him in the cigar shop downtown, we get along well. He's a pretty good guy and has offered to buy my dinner a time or two in return for errands I've run for him and such. Have told him previously I'm not a fan of valet parking (that's pretty much the only way at their downtown location) but never mentioned my issue. He pressed a bit and I told him there might or might not be a gun in the passenger compartment, besides the one on my hip that goes with me. It would not be prudent or legal to turn my vehicle over to a valet unless they had a CHL. He likely thinks I worry too much, but valet parking is just off the table for me, period, it's easier that way.

And I keep reminding him that their original location, run by his brother, has 'No Guns' stickers on the front and back doors. The two have apparently argued a bit over this, but the signs remain. Schmieg and his wife used to go there quite a bit, the place lost their business for sure. as well as other CHL holders I know.

So, if I go to Montgomery Inn, it's the one in northern Kentucky, where, no surprise, no anti-gun signs there; they are rare on the that side of the river anyhow. And, that location has self parking.

Mostly I posted this because someone on here newer to concealed carry, transport, etc. hasn't thought about the issue of letting someone else have their car keys.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:56 am
Brian:

My ancient ('99) Town Car has a "valet key". Other vehicles have similar functions by way of a switch in the glovebox or some such. (I'm not sure if the '98 Caddy has one.)

Essentially, the key will only open the car doors and start the car. If I remember, the trunk and glovebox, if locked, will not yield to the key. THAT is the key you give the kamikaze valets....

(I love to tell people that I have something like $90,000 worth of cars in the driveway. Unfortunately, the newest one is 17 years old.)

I never let anybody drive the car (except, grudgingly, my wife :D ) for a very long time, but somewhere along the line I changed. Probably the lovely young girl working as the valet at a restaurant in Boca Raton one evening. I told her that I had to park the car, but would give her the $1 anyway. My wife wasn't along, but my parents were.

(Not that I would have, but one can dream :mrgreen: .)

(The wife and mud monster flew to PBI to meet me - I was on a business trip to SC, and then headed to Boca to meet them. Meantime, my parents were snowbirding there. I put Sherri and Becka on a plane in the AM, and then hung around for a day to reset. My folks and I went to dinner. Next AM, I headed north.)

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:41 am
CB707, I hope the long boring anecdotes from Stu and me didn't drive you away from the site already! Stu does that all the time, but it's really rare coming from me, and there was a point for you newbies, I swear! :lol:

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:23 am
Hey kettle, meet pot!

Oh, wait...... :oops:

-Allen
Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:43 am
I've had the same concern when I've had to run into a store and my wife wanted to stay behind in the truck while I ran my errand. I've shared my concern with my wife that she might be charged with CCW if for some reason that an officer would come over to the car and having a firearm in the car became an issue. Typically, I take the keys with me and will put my gun behind the rear seat in a locked compartment. My concern is that if I don't place my firearm in a locked container that my wife cannot open, can she be charged with CCW?

NRA Life Member
2nd Amendment Foundation Member
GOAL Member
Range Safety Officer
NRA Pistol,Home Firearm Safety,Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home Instructor, Certified UT, MD, MA Handgun & LEOSA Instructor
Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:02 pm
From several discussions on this it seems to boil down to: Does an unlicensed person in the vehicle have access to the firearm? I'm paraphrasing but that seems to be the legal gist of it.

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:27 pm
I think you need to read ORC 2923.16
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.16v1
 Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]