Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: Getting an Ohio CCW permit while on active duty
Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:21 am
So I'm looking into getting my CCW permit in Ohio. I am a legal resident, with dual residency in North Carolina since I'm in the Army on avtive duty. I won't be able to get home to do it until December, so I'm taking the time to fill out all the paperwork and triple check it. The manual says I need documentation showing that I'm active duty, for which I would assume my ERB qualifies, and documentation that through the position I acquired expreience that was equivalent to the minimum educational requirments. As for that second part, does anyone know what qualifies as that certification? A score card from an M9 range, my 11B MOS documents, or something else? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated
Post subject: Re: Getting an Ohio CCW permit while on active duty
Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:02 am
Good morning TinMan and thank you for your service!! What county will you be applying at when you get home? I would suggest calling that sheriff's office and talk to the person who will process your CHL. They will tell you exactly what they require. Also while you have them on the phone, go ahead and schedule your appointment for when you will be home in Dec., that way you are assured of not having to wait for an appointment.

2009 NRA "Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award" recipient
Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
Buckeye Firearms Association's Vice President
NRA Benefactor Member, NRA Certified Instructor, NRA-EVC, Realtor
Region Leader
Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:43 pm
Thanks for the quick reply Linda. I plan on applying in my home county of Defiance, unless it would somehow benefit me to take my application elsewhere. As for scheduling my appointment, I probably won't be able to do that until the 3rd or 4th week of November. They generally don't tell us information like when we can take leave until after plane tickets home have skyrocketed. Thanks for your support, and again for the fast reply.
Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:44 pm
TinMan:

Welcome Aboard!

IMHO, Linda's advice is correct.... Seems to me that just handing the Sheriff your military paperwork ought to get your license for you the same day, but that sort of thing varies all over the map. Stick around and see if we get further info on the County to select.

There's a sticky at http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10097 that you should have a look at, but it's not mandatory, and may be sleep inducing. Just the first couple of pages.... Some idea of who's here, and how things work, as well as useful information about the little dog in my avatar.

When you're applying, don't mention knowing Linda, me, or the BFA. They might force you to seek useful employment :D.... Or worse....

And, as Linda said, thank you for your service. It's appreciated.

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
 Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]