Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: Can I renew 3 years early??
Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:03 pm
So I bought a new rifle; proud to be CHL owner from 2009.... BUT NO GOOD! Still had to go thru NICS! WHAT??

But Ohio just past new law that our CHL is sufficient and no NICS check required! Huh?

Well, the small print is only CHL's after like 2014... Huh?

OK, someone said this is because OUR pre 2014(?) CHLs did not require same background check as new ones... Ah, ok....

Someone else then suggested just RENEW NOW YEARS EARLY and then you will be good to go for future purchases....

My question: Can I renew 1-2-3 years early??
Post subject: Re: Can I renew 3 years early??
Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:08 pm
No, you can only renew up to 90 days early. There is a bill pending in the Ohio General Assembly that, if passed and signed into law, would allow you to renew as early as you like. Hard to say if it will become law or not.

Oh, and for reference, the cutoff date is March 23, 2015. Licenses before that date did not have a NICS check performed and do not qualify for the exemption from having the NICS check called in at the time of purchase. FWIW, you still have to fill out the form 4473 either way.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:41 pm
Thank you Justashooter!

Puts all those internet wizards comments in their place!
Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:41 pm
Phillip, it's easy to overlook these changes (hopefully improvements) to Ohio's firearms laws. That's why it's a good idea to stop by sites such as this one or the Ohioans For Concealed Carry website/forums on a halfway regular basis. To be honest, with BFA there's not much traffic on this forum, but their main website is chock full of news each week. With OFCC it's kind of the opposite: Forums busy, main site really really slow.

In any event, December 31st 2016 is the end of the current Ohio General Assembly two year legislative cycle. Don't expect any new laws to be passed from now until then, (they're busy campaigning) but typically they'll jam a lot of voting into that last week or two of the year, across the spectrum of legislative items they deal with.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
 Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]