Page 35 of 37 [ 551 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next
Author
Post subject: Re: Share your County CHL experience
Post Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:42 pm
nmgene:

Somebody told me that the County Coroner outranks the Sheriff in OH....

(Bet this starts a hell of a fight :D.)

I do agree that a CHL is at least a list of potential gun owners....

BTW, New Castle PA's Lawrence County Sheriff (renewal - now must be "in person") was about as easy as it could have gotten today. Metal detector :(, and they wouldn't just hand me the new license - because I'm a renewal from Centre County, they want to do some "due diligence", and mail it to me in a couple weeks. Beats having to go get it, at least....

The CHL (and PA's License) are licenses, not permits. In short, a recognition of our rights, rather than permissions from somebody to carry. Not exactly Constitutional, perhaps, but it could be worse....

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:56 am
Not to double up on my posting, but since this thread appears to be the most active on the subject I'll add my recent personal experience here.

=========

Thumbs-up to the Wayne County Sheriff's Office.

I live in Summit County. Last year my son who is active duty Navy wanted to get his license while home on leave, so we looked to Portage County (also a very cooperative SO's office) to handle the paperwork... never even thinking about Wayne County.

After my wife and I completed the long, 1 day class offered on Mother's Day by Columbus CCW I began seeking out an appointment for one of the neighboring counties as Summit only offers 2 days a week where applications are accepted, and that is on a first come, first served basis.

Medina County's earliest appointments were early to mid June and Portage County's were early June. For some reason, the 'What about Wayne County?' light bulb came on.

On a late Monday afternoon, Wayne County had an appointment available as soon as 9 AM on Wednesday. Wanting to continue the spirit of husband and wife togetherness that our Concealed Carry journey had taken us, I booked the last 2 spots on Thursday so my wife and I could submit our applications back to back.

(Yes, Wayne County had multiple openings on multiple days, on its schedule for the current week)

We were very organized and did bring all of the necessary and optional documents to the appointment(s). We were in and out in under 30 minutes, combined. We were also able to get an additional set of fingerprints done (for just $5 more) so we can file for our Florida non-resident licenses as well.

As we were leaving, the Deputy looked at her desk calendar and said 'These should be mailed out on Monday'. I turned to my wife and asked "Do you think she means NEXT Monday?"

Well, yes the Deputy did. Both my wife's and my Wayne County SO issued "Ohio License To Carry A Concealed Handgun" arrived in our mailbox yesterday, meaning that office took no more than 2 business days to process and issue these documents.

How wonderful it would be if all governmental agencies were as efficient as the Wayne County Sheriff's Office.

Hats off to them for a job well done!
Post Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:57 am
The cell phone signal blocker device ,you can go to jammerinthebox.com to get more details
Post Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:42 pm
Just de-activated "thirty68158". Post is irrelevant, and while the stuff on that web site is of interest, some or all of that stuff is illegal. Also no indication of where they are, and "thirty"'s e-mail is a "hushmail" account.

Most likely a spammer....

Regards,

Stu

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:37 pm
Time for my renewal. I went with Delaware County again since I had a good experience last time.

They now do online appointments so you don't have to call. I set the appointment online and got an email reminder a couple days before. Got there today at about 9:50 (appointment was at 10) and a nice lady called me in right away. She was very professional and polite.

I noticed while I was getting my fingerprints scanned that she had a certificate for attending the BFA "bulletproof your mind" event with Grossman, which I thought was very cool. After talking it turns out she is a member at my club also so I would say she is very pro gun.

Even with some extra chatting I was in and out in 10 minutes. When registering online it says bring a stamped self addressed envelope, which I did. That's new also so now I won't have to go back to pick it up. Now we wait. I will let you all know how long it took when I get it in the mail.

Joel
NRA Certified Instructor,Member and Recruiter
Centerburg Conservation Club Trustee
CCC Range committee and Lake committee
Second Call Defense Recruiter

If you like guns, click here! https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/sign ... ID=nranews
Post Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:33 pm
Got my license in the mail today with an issue date of 9/11/14 (yesterday)so 8 days including the weekend and 1 day in the mail. Delaware County is awesome.

Joel

If you like guns, click here! https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/sign ... ID=nranews
Post Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:57 pm
A good friend just told me he had to wait the full 45 days when he recently renewed in Clermont County. That is very unlike them. Only thing I can think of is that many counties seem to only have ONE person in their employ who does the processing on a regular basis, and people do get sick, injured etc. and have to miss work for a while.

It seems silly nto me to only have one person who knows how to do any such task in an agency, because it needs to be done year-round.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:25 am
I'm applying for my CCW in Mahoning County as we speak. The good news is that it would have been completed in two days had it not been for an OVI I got in 2001.

Here's my issue/question: My OVI shows up as "operating under the influence of drugs or alcohol." It was definitely alcohol-related, but the Austintown Police Department does not keep records that far back at all, and while exceedingly pleasant and accomodating, can offer me no help or documentation of the matter.

I have contacted the Austintown court where the case was adjudicated and they also do not keep records that far back on site, but will send someone downtown to pull the records which will likely take 2-3 weeks.

Is there any other avenue I have to get this information more quickly? It seems crazy that nowhere can my case information be found or accessed within a day or two. Any advice is appreciated.

As an aside, the Mahoning County Sheriffs have been very pleasant to deal with. I've spoken to three sheriffs/admins so far and all have taken the time to offer suggestions and insight. They tell me this ambiguous language holdup is rather common.
Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:03 pm
Mortar34:

Welcome Aboard!

I think Mahoning County started computerizing their records more recently than 2001, and probably haven't bothered to pick up the older information. There's a lot of stuff available on-line, but I'm not sure how far back that goes either.

The former Sheriff is a friend of mine. He's not necessarily anti-gun, but a stickler for doing things exactly right - both for his protection, and our protection. Like demanding old utility bills to prove you are an Ohio resident. The new guy (haven't met him yet) seems to be a little less cautious, but an OVI from 2001 would make 'em think, although it shouldn't actually be a problem once they can sort it out.

(Old drug convictions can be sealed pretty easily. Alcohol convictions shouldn't be a stopper either when they're that old.)

There's a sticky at http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10097 that you should have a look at. It's not mandatory, and may be sleep inducing, but at least you'll find out who the little dog in my avatar is.

Regards,

Stu

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:24 pm
SMMAssociates wrote:
Mortar34:

Welcome Aboard!

I think Mahoning County started computerizing their records more recently than 2001, and probably haven't bothered to pick up the older information. There's a lot of stuff available on-line, but I'm not sure how far back that goes either.

The former Sheriff is a friend of mine. He's not necessarily anti-gun, but a stickler for doing things exactly right - both for his protection, and our protection. Like demanding old utility bills to prove you are an Ohio resident. The new guy (haven't met him yet) seems to be a little less cautious, but an OVI from 2001 would make 'em think, although it shouldn't actually be a problem once they can sort it out.

(Old drug convictions can be sealed pretty easily. Alcohol convictions shouldn't be a stopper either when they're that old.)

There's a sticky at http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10097 that you should have a look at. It's not mandatory, and may be sleep inducing, but at least you'll find out who the little dog in my avatar is.

Regards,

Thanks Stu. I've checked CourtView as well (as have the Sheriffs, it really seems like they're trying to help sort this out) but it doesn't specify whatever it was that showed up in their background check. Although it does show that I entered a DIP (Driver's Intervention Program), I guess I need something that shows my BAC from that day to really solidify it.

I'm not worried about the record, once I can get documentation it should be a moot point. I'm just thinking that there's got be a way to get this data more quickly than 2 weeks.

I'm from Youngstown too, btw. Go Penguins!
Post Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:02 am
Figured I'd recap this....

I tried everything to no avail. I was resigned to waiting the two weeks for one tiny shred of documentation to end my application process. Frustrated, I was hoping to get the call next week.

Low and behold, I got a surprise call from the court Tuesday afternoon telling me they had my paperwork. I was on my way back into town and could pick it up first thing in the morning. I did, and took it over to the Sheriff's Department at lunch. They called me about 20 minutes ago to tell me it was ready, which means it had to be done and ready yesterday and they give a list to an admin to call applicants in the am.

I would have had my permit in 2 days if not for needing to provide additional info. Once I got the info, they completed the application within 24 hours. I spoke to three different people at the Sheriff's Department throughout this process and each one of them were very polite and helpful.

My impression of applying for a CCW at Mahoning County Sheriff's Department was that they move quickly and are exceedingly helpful to work with.
Post Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:27 am
Mortar34 wrote:
Figured I'd recap this....

I tried everything to no avail. I was resigned to waiting the two weeks for one tiny shred of documentation to end my application process. Frustrated, I was hoping to get the call next week.

Low and behold, I got a surprise call from the court Tuesday afternoon telling me they had my paperwork. I was on my way back into town and could pick it up first thing in the morning. I did, and took it over to the Sheriff's Department at lunch. They called me about 20 minutes ago to tell me it was ready, which means it had to be done and ready yesterday and they give a list to an admin to call applicants in the am.

I would have had my permit in 2 days if not for needing to provide additional info. Once I got the info, they completed the application within 24 hours. I spoke to three different people at the Sheriff's Department throughout this process and each one of them were very polite and helpful.

My impression of applying for a CCW at Mahoning County Sheriff's Department was that they move quickly and are exceedingly helpful to work with.

Thanks for filling us in and congrats on your new license. I'm sure it's a huge relief and glad that it worked out for you. Have a good weekend and be safe!

Joel

Post Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:28 am
I live in Lucas county but I have done my permits (original, and renewal), through Henry county. My original took four days, my renewal took two weeks, the Sheriff was on vacation.

Retired Navy
NRA Instructor
Post Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:41 am
Joker wrote:
I live in Lucas county but I have done my permits (original, and renewal), through Henry county. My original took four days, my renewal took two weeks, the Sheriff was on vacation.

I realize that Henry County is pretty small, but if the sheriff is gone there's nobody else that is capable of processing the CHL paperwork?

We do get such reports here and at OFCC's forums sometimes, maybe I shouldn't be too surprised. Still, this way of running an emergency public service agency baffles me. As Robert Heinlein said "Specialization is for insects". People in such a workplace should be trained to handle many tasks. Otherwise you wonder whether or not they can make arrests if Deputy Fife happens to be on vacation and he accidentally took the handcuffs with him.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:43 pm
Brian D. wrote:
Joker wrote:

I realize that Henry County is pretty small, but if the sheriff is gone there's nobody else that is capable of processing the CHL paperwork?

We do get such reports here and at OFCC's forums sometimes, maybe I shouldn't be too surprised. Still, this way of running an emergency public service agency baffles me. As Robert Heinlein said "Specialization is for insects". People in such a workplace should be trained to handle many tasks. Otherwise you wonder whether or not they can make arrests if Deputy Fife happens to be on vacation and he accidentally took the handcuffs with him.

I'm sure someone else could have completed the paper work, I wasn't press to get it done. I could have been Lucas county holding it up, my wife's took a week going through Lucas.

Retired Navy
NRA Instructor
 Page 35 of 37 [ 551 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next