Page 33 of 37 [ 553 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next
Author
Post subject: Re: Share your County CHL experience
Post Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:32 pm
cjlee89 wrote:
Just got the call. Dropped off before 12:30pm yesterday, Got the call at 11:30am TODAY! Incredible turn around!

Awesome! Congrats!

Joel
NRA Certified Instructor,Member and Recruiter
Centerburg Conservation Club Trustee
CCC Range committee and Lake committee
Second Call Defense Recruiter

If you like guns, click here! https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/sign ... ID=nranews
Post Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:07 am
Portage Cty 6 days & it's in the mailbox. Very friendly & informative. Turn around was faster than they indicated.
Post Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:18 pm
They MAILED it to you?????

Robert S. (Bob) Maroldy
NRA Certified Instructor (R/P/S/PP/HFS/MCR/SSR/RSO)
NRA Endowment Life member (since 1961)
Ohio CHL Instructor (since 2004)
Member: OGCA, AGA, OFCC, BFA
Vietnam Veteran (1965) Army Security Agency (ASA)
http://www.americanguncrafters.com
Post Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:45 pm
Fulton county was very quick and painless. Took 10 days.
Post Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:14 pm
captainbob wrote:

I hadn't heard of that either until I started this thread. Apparently it's pretty common (mostly in more rural counties it seems).

Joel

If you like guns, click here! https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/sign ... ID=nranews
Post Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:39 pm
captainbob wrote:

Several counties do - Wayne county is one, for example. They require you to provide a self-addressed stamped envelope, and once everything is done they mail it out. My appointment was at mid-morning, and the following morning it was mailed out.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:07 pm
Cuyahoga County also puts it in the mail.

It just depends on how the particular County does it.

-Allen
Post Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:43 pm
Stark County mailed my wife's CHL to her. But I had to pick mine up.
Post Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:20 pm
Seems many Counties are different on many levels. Some require that you bring your Social Security card; some don't. Some mail your license ; some don't. Some keep your old license when renewing; some don't. Some require an Instructor getting his first license to attend another Instructor's class; some don't.
Anyone have any other examples of County differences?

Robert S. (Bob) Maroldy
Post Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:53 pm
captainbob wrote:
Seems many Counties are different on many levels. Some require that you bring your Social Security card; some don't. Some mail your license ; some don't. Some keep your old license when renewing; some don't. Some require an Instructor getting his first license to attend another Instructor's class; some don't.
Anyone have any other examples of County differences?

That covers most of the big differences I've seen. Others are different hours available (some are whenever the office is open others only a couple days a week), payment types can vary (check, money order, cash etc), turn-around times can vary quite a bit county to county. That can change too. We recently got a new Sheriff in Knox County and turn around times have gotten much better from what I hear.

Always good to check with the county you're applying in and ask how they do things. I'm coming up on my first renewal in a couple months and probably going with Delaware County. I will post what happens when I go through that.

Joel

Post Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:36 am
captainbob wrote:
Seems many Counties are different on many levels. Some require that you bring your Social Security card

Really? Which counties do you know of that require you to bring your Social Security card? That seems like it wouldn't be permitted - nothing in the ORC allows for it and the ORC is pretty specific about the application process.

NRA Life Member
Post Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:32 pm
Fairfield is one I know of (they have a sign posted to that effect) and asked for mine when I renewed. I'm fairly sure I didn't need it when I first got it in 2004 and on my first renewal but it was required this second time. Regardless of the printed "Not to be used for identification" right on the card they use it for that purpose. (Ever try to get your Driver's license or car tags renewed without your SS card?). Apparently, each Sheriff makes his/her own rules.

Robert S. (Bob) Maroldy
Post Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:05 pm
captainbob wrote:
Fairfield is one I know of (they have a sign posted to that effect) and asked for mine when I renewed. I'm fairly sure I didn't need it when I first got it in 2004 and on my first renewal but it was required this second time. Regardless of the printed "Not to be used for identification" right on the card they use it for that purpose.

Wow, I don't carry mine and would have had to have a discussion with them - I really don't think they can require it, can they?
captainbob wrote:
(Ever try to get your Driver's license or car tags renewed without your SS card?). Apparently, each Sheriff makes his/her own rules.

Actually, yeah, I do that without my Social Security card each time I renew - never been asked for mine even once that I recall. Again, I don't carry mine with me, so I'd remember if they asked for it. In fact the SSA recommends that you do not carry your card with you: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/ssnumber
Quote:
You need a Social Security number to get a job, collect Social Security benefits and receive some other government services. But you don't often need to show your Social Security card. Do not carry your card with you. Keep it in a safe place with your other important papers.

NRA Life Member
Post Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:28 pm
I renewed today in Preble Co. Made the appointment last week. I was in and out in 10 minutes. Very quick, professional, and friendly service. Top notch. I'll let you know how long it takes to process.

Chris

The walkers are coming!

I have officially lost my faith in the system.

WARNING! driver carries more than $20 in ammunition.

Due to the rising cost of ammunition, I will no longer be able to provide a warning shot. Thanks for your understanding.
Post Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:14 pm
Quote:
You need a Social Security number to get a job, collect Social Security benefits and receive some other government services. But you don't often need to show your Social Security card. Do not carry your card with you. Keep it in a safe place with your other important papers.
[/quote]
I agree with you completely BUT, I have been at out local BMV and have watched people being turned away because they did not have their SS card AND when my wife went to Fairfield County recently to renew she got in early because the man ahead of her was "sent packing" because he did not have his SS card to apply. I can confirm the Fairfield County has a sign up (just to the left of the door where you (don't) lean on the lower door half shelf to present your papers. It says" You MUST have your SS card in order to apply for a CHL." Now, the SS Administration might say you shouldn't carry it and the card itself says "Not to be used for ID" BUT if you argue with the people that you are trying to get something (CHL, car tags) and say they can't demand the SS card, do you think you will walk out with what you want or walk out emptyhanded? The way to do it is to say something beforehand (weeks before) and try to get them to change their policy (good luck since they like the power they have over the peons).

Robert S. (Bob) Maroldy
 Page 33 of 37 [ 553 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next